Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've jumped through all but a couple of hoops on my way to approval. It was discovered that I'm diabetic and have some pretty high blood pressure to boot, so we're treating the BP and the diabetes will likely be reversed soon after surgery. My last couple of clearance appointments fall over the next three weeks. With 2 comorbidities and a BMI over 40, I should have no trouble. In the middle of all these appointments, I discovered a lump in my breast. I contacted my PCP and she ordered a diagnostic mammo and an ultrasound. Nothing appeared on either of those tests. My doctor and the radiologist both felt the lump, but it just didn't show up on the tests. So they decided to send me to a surgeon since a surgeon would be more likely to have seen something like it. The surgeon seems to think it's a "ductal abnormality" and suggested that I reserve a surgery time. In the meantime, he has me applying moist heat to see if it draws anything out. If not, I will have the area excised in 4 days. I had my pre-admission testing today. He assured me that it won't affect my sleeve plans, unless there is a malignancy. While I trust his opinion, I'm scared to death. There is no history in my family and no precursors to make me a risk. I guess I just need some prayers, vibes, mojo... it's all appreciated.

prayers you got em. try to look at it as a good thing to have found now. It is probably nothing and then you will know.

hi BrickHouse

its good you were being attentive to your body, realizing there was some "situation" going on, - whether its a lump, ductal abnormalty - you found it, and its being researched

my positive thoughts are being sent your way with fingers & toes crossed too!!!

take care

I would LOVE to see you get a second opinion on whether you need surgery for a ductal abnormality. I had my first mammogram for lumpy breasts at 35. I jumped through a couple of years of hoops, repeat mammograms, appointments with a breast surgeon, etc. Thankfully, my surgeon wasn't anxious to start cutting, but took a very cautious route. He encouraged me to have follow up mammograms and to always keep a personal copy of my mammo films, which I have done.

After last year's mammogram, I was sent to a different doctor. He came into the appointment with a plan for surgery, needle aspirations, etc, all laid out based on that one mammogram. Thankfully, I took my own films with me and was able to show him that the "possibly malignancies" he saw had been there for years and have never grown or changed at all.

I am not saying the surgeon/doctor is wrong. I just hate it when a doctor's first approach is to start cutting rather than to cautiously watch a lump. If the doctor suspects a tumor, that's different, but is there a reason to remove a "ductal abnormality" in regard to your health?

I'm not pollyanna about the possibility of breast cancer. Seven women that I went to high school with have been diagnosed with breast cancer in the last 5 years, all in their early 40's, so I definitely stay on top of my yearly mammograms. But I'm not super anxious to have a doctor start removing lumps unless there is a medical reason to do so.

I hope you'll get a second opinion.

Good luck and please keep us posted. :)

Thanks, ladies for your replies. I appreciate the well-wishes. I also wanted to mention that the surgery WAS a second opinion. My PCP wanted me to try antibiotics and wait it out. Since I was in pain and, of course, afraid of the worst case scenario, I decided on the surgery which I had today.

As it turned out, it was periductal mastitis. I'm a little sore, but a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I have a few stitches to have removed next week, then I'm back on the road to SLEEVEDOM!

As an aside, I do hope the rest of my pre-sleeve adventure passes quickly. I needed insulin before my surgery today as my fasting glucose was 197. If I'm not sleeved soon, I worry that I may need meds for the diabetes.

Okay, I suppose I should have said it LOOKED like periductal mastitis. I just got the call that it was indeed cancer. I need to follow up with an MRI to see what my next course of attack is, The doctor said NOT to cancel my plans and appointments for my sleeve even if I have to put it off for a couple months.

The fight continues. No one said it was going to be easy. Cancer has no idea who it's messing with.

Wishing you the best. I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I am happy you found it early. Please keep us posted.

got the call that it was indeed cancer., The doctor said NOT to cancel my plans and appointments for my sleeve even if I have to put it off for a couple months.

BrickHouse

sorry about your cancer diagnosis

it will be a hard fight, but holding on to your good thoughts are great

hold on to getting your sleeve done - dr approved - just wait for the right time

good luck

best wishes

Wow, thank God you were so diligent about getting that surgery fast. My ex-mother-in-law waited and her small lump went to thesize of a grapefruit before they could get to it. She is a 14 year survivor but had a lot of issues and scarring in the process. Getting to it quickly probably saved you a lot of those issues.

I hope you still get to go for you sleeve surgery too. I know for me coming to this point took a lot of soul searching and I would hate to have it delayed. Praying for you.

Thank you, ladies. Yes, when I discovered this lump, my first thought was how it might affect my sleeve surgery and I hoped that it wouldn't take away my hopes of being thinner, healthy and happy. The will of God won't take me where the grace of God cannot keep me.

My EGD was pretty uneventful this morning. There was a small hiatal hernia and a little irritation at the bottom of my esophagus, probably from reflux. A biopsy was taken to test for Barrett's. I spoke with the surgeon who did my breast biopsy and he spoke with my bariatric surgeon, who did my EGD. We are going to stay on course for the sleeve surgery until we are advised otherwise.

I was so comfortable when I fell asleep on that table! I woke up in the same position with my husband asking me if I was ready to wake up. I remember asking, "Am I done already?" The only bad part was the nasty-tasting stuff they spray in your throat to numb it. But you're asleep about 30 seconds later, so it's nothing to be afraid of.