Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 Day Post Op Visit

Hi everyone! I hope you are all doing well! Some of our friends are newly sleeved and are coming up on their surgery dates. Ohhhhh those nerves! Just remember one day at a time and sometimes just one sip at a time.

Please remember that this is my experience. There is no way of knowing if you will experience what I have or not.

There needs to be something done about that leak test. That gastrogafin drink needs a very serious overhaul. That is one thing that, as far as I'm concerned, is cruel and unusual punishment. ESPECIALLY for patients that are nauseated! You can't tell me there is something that can be done with the taste of that stuff after all these years of the sleeve/by-pass surgeries have been performed.

It seems it's been longer than a week since I've been sleeved, honestly. Not that it's been a horrible week at all. I think it's because I'm not used to being off work and really taking care of myself. I have always rushed through my healing process. I'm not doing that this time and it's paying off!

I had my 8 day post op visit today. First of all, there is nothing better than having those staples GONE! Boy, they were really bothersome! I really didn't have any concerns to discuss other than that left side where the largest incision was and where the surgeon removed my stomach. It has been pretty painful the entire week. Not only at the incision site but also on my back. Little did I know that it is quite normal. The doc said that it could be painful for 6-8 weeks. Hey, if that's all I have to worry about, then I think I'm doing pretty good!

I was so excited to be moved up to Phase 2 foods. All I could think about was Tomato soup! (...and cream of wheat. That is a Phase 3 food.) Well, I was thinking about it until I realized that I'm still not hungry. At all. Again, normal.

For a few days I realized that I had to re-learn what my stomach was telling me. After 45 years, I had it down pretty well. Give me a new stomach and I'm lost! I didn't know if what I was feeling was hunger, pain, acid or gas. I just realized I'm going to have to play "process of elimination". Turns out it was gas. I am taking Nexium every morning and Tums as needed. Once I figured out that little bit of info, my sleeve hasn't been so mad at me.

I did learn pretty quick that my sleeve got pretty pissed off over coffee. I won't be trying that again any time soon. I did find a caffeine free hot tea that I like. I've never been a tea drinker. I have found that it is nice and soothing at the end of the day and before bed. It makes my sleeve pretty happy and I fall asleep a lot quicker and easier.

I've been walking, walking, walking. It has done so many good things for me. I just feel so much better getting out of the house and doing something productive. I have gone to the store and done this and that, but have called it quits a lot faster than I ever have. For me, it also helps with the gas a lot. Don't be shy of that gas, either. Get rid of it! You will feel so much better!!! My husband has been by my side every step of the way. I really don't know what I would have done without him.

The fluids are very important, too. I've been very lucky that I've been able to tolerate all kinds of clear fluids from Water to Chrystal Light (diluted by 1/2) to Isopure. It takes a very long time for me to get my Protein shakes down now. One shake equals about 2 hours. I fill very quickly. Sipping works well.

I'm down a total of 24 lbs. Slow and steady. I'm wanting to heal from surgery first before dropping a ton of weight right off the bat.

I had my barium swallow to be sure that what I'm drinking is going down and through. I was amazed at the size of my sleeve. It's only about an inch wide. You can see where the liquid goes through the top of the sleeve, through the sleeve and into the small intestine! I was FASCINATED! It's the little things! I got the thumbs up.

I've gotten the ok for going to the gym and taking it easy on the treadmill. I think I just may do that tomorrow. A nice steady walk for a while.

I hope you all have a good evening and a nice and healthy healing!

My leak test was done first thing the morning after my surgery.

No, this is the cuppa stuff that smells AND tastes like chemicals.........which is what it is so that our innards will glow.

Sounds like drinking radiation. :) I don't remember having to drink this stuff, but do vaguely remember the doctor saying they checked for leaks while I was out. You know, like putting a tire under Water to check for air bubbles.

LOL, Andy! You're lucky you were out when they checked you for holes. I never ever want to do that again! I'd rather be held under Water and watch for bubbles.

Omg the leak test was awful. Afterwards I was in the bathroom dry heaving!! Only time I've felt like throwing up!! The only good thing was it made my mouth Water, I couldn't have anything to drink until after I passed the test so my mouth was sooooo dry!!

I'm so glad my doctor doesn't require the leak test! If we have symptoms of a leak he will do it. I feel for all of you that had to do it!

I get my staples remove tomorrow....do it hurt to get them remove?

I didn't have staples for the sleeve, but did for my 3 c-sections, and they did not hurt to come out.

I didn't have staples for the sleeve' date=' but did for my 3 c-sections, and they did not hurt to come out.[/quote']

Thx Annie....

candy the girl who took mine out at our surgeon's office isn't so bad. She took mine out today and there was only one that REALLY hurt and it was on my largest incision. Best of luck!!!

thx all....it wasn't as bad as I thought it would've been..just a little pulling at the skin....and it was quick....