Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just thinking of some foods that are considered pureed. Is velveeta mac and cheese close to it since it's very soft? Also Chef Boyardee ravioli. Basically as long as it's very mushy with no solid pieces it's ok right?

I was told to avoid Pasta as it swells in the stomach before being digested. I have a six month ban on pasta and bread for this reason.

Puree is baby food consistency, not just mushy with no solid pieces... There is a difference, and the next stage you'll move on to will be soft/mushy stage, but if you're on purees you should probably try and stick with purees. Your poor tummy needs time to heal ;-)

Check out the FAQ up top for some inspiration on what to eat and any other questions you may have as a new member of the losers bench!

Wrong. Those foods are mushy, yes, but loaded with tons of carbs/fat/sodium and 0 nutritional benefits. Were you explained by your surgeon in detail what is acceptable and what's not? Pasta is a no-go, practically for all of our WLS life from here on out lol. Good luck :)

That is true Rissy - Protein is always first, followed by veggies, and lastly grains if you have room. Most often, you won't have room for them, especially not during the puree or mushy stages when your tummy is still swollen. Plus, pasta/bread/etc... absorb moisture and expand in your stomach - believe me when I say that does NOT feel good! It's going to be a long time before you enjoy Pasta again.

Velveeta mac and cheese and Chef Boyardee are not pasta- they are crack for fat people. I would run the other way and quickly.

Puréed food should be the consistency of baby food or mashed potatoes. Beechnut baby food is pretty good (for baby food, bland for everything else). You should use a food processor to make your own purees. Puréed chicken salad tastes exactly like regular chicken salad. If you don't want to cook or prep anything, you can puree chunky Soups or canned chili. I tried chunky Soup once and didn't find it tasted good, but i guess other people do OK.

geno5150 I'm crackin up at your comment!!!

The nutritionist should really be guiding your choices. I was looking for more info myself, but I will share some of what I was told

6 meals a day spaced 2 1/2 to 3 hrs apart ( I have not managed to get this much food down yet)

No liquids 30 min before or After; rest of day shoot for 48 oz or more low fat, low sugar liquids; no carbonation ( again I have a hard time getting that much liquid down)

2 oz protein; 1 oz carb each meal

1 meal should be 8 oz Protein liquid supplement ( I use mostly muscle milk light - 20 gm protein; 100 cal)

Avoid:

Nuts, seeds, whole grains, fibrous meats, fresh fruits and veggies, bread, Pasta, and rice

Sample proteins; ( 2oz) at one time

Soft cheese; American, munster, feta, cream cheese, small curd low fat cottage cheese, part skim ricotta cheese

Dannon light and fit yogurt

Jello non fat sugar free pudding made with skim or 1%

Skim or 1% with no sugar added carnation instant Breakfast

Soft biled, poached or scrambled egg

tuna, egg, chucked or egg salad made with low fat mayo - avoid celery and onion

Flaked fish - avoid shellfish

Ground beef, chicken or turkey

Peanut butter; natural creamy and low fat

Soups ( low fat) puréed if chunky)

I was also told baby food stage 1 or 2 chicken, beef, etc. I tasted it when my children were babies and I thought it was gross; so I'm going to take a pass on this one!

Sample carbs: (1 oz)

Crackers, plain saltine

Hot Cereal, farina, oatmeal. Cream of wheat

Soggy. Cold Cereal (2 Tb Cheerios w/ 1/2 cup skim)

Skinless mushy fruit; applesauce, banana, baby food fruit,

Mashed potatoes or mashed sweet potatoes (real potatoes not the processes instant kind)

Hope this helps. I also have sample menu plans.

The nutritionist should really be guiding your choices. I was looking for more info myself' date=' but I will share some of what I was told

6 meals a day spaced 2 1/2 to 3 hrs apart ( I have not managed to get this much food down yet)

No liquids 30 min before or After; rest of day shoot for 48 oz or more low fat, low sugar liquids; no carbonation ( again I have a hard time getting that much liquid down)

2 oz protein; 1 oz carb each meal

1 meal should be 8 oz Protein liquid supplement ( I use mostly muscle milk light - 20 gm protein; 100 cal)

Avoid:

Nuts, seeds, whole grains, fibrous meats, fresh fruits and veggies, bread, Pasta, and rice

Sample proteins; ( 2oz) at one time

Soft cheese; American, munster, feta, cream cheese, small curd low fat cottage cheese, part skim ricotta cheese

Dannon light and fit yogurt

Jello non fat sugar free pudding made with skim or 1%

Skim or 1% with no sugar added carnation instant Breakfast

Soft biled, poached or scrambled egg

tuna, egg, chucked or egg salad made with low fat mayo - avoid celery and onion

Flaked fish - avoid shellfish

Ground beef, chicken or turkey

Peanut butter; natural creamy and low fat

Soups ( low fat) puréed if chunky)

I was also told baby food stage 1 or 2 chicken, beef, etc. I tasted it when my children were babies and I thought it was gross; so I'm going to take a pass on this one!

Sample carbs: (1 oz)

Crackers, plain saltine

Hot Cereal, farina, oatmeal. Cream of wheat

Soggy. Cold cereal (2 Tb Cheerios w/ 1/2 cup skim)

Skinless mushy fruit; applesauce, banana, baby food fruit,

Mashed potatoes or mashed sweet potatoes (real potatoes not the processes instant kind)

Hope this helps. I also have sample menu plans.[/quote']

Omg you are Great.... All those tips are great!!

Velveeta mac and cheese and Chef Boyardee are not pasta- they are crack for fat people. I would run the other way and quickly.

Amen brother! They aren't even food! If you think they are you desperately need counseling!