Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just wanted to take a moment to share my journey so far with those of you thinking of this surgery or starting out...

10 months ago, i weighed 150 kgs ( 330 pounds) and waited anxiously to be admitted to hospital, managed to work myself up into a right mess before surgery, much of which I now dont remember. However do remember a really cute male nurse holding my hand and trying to calm me. Next thing I know I am waking up in the ICU (protocol for my doctor) and throwing up blood (not so standard) but otherwise Ok. Spent the night in the ICU and in the morning they moved me out to another room, and got me up and walking.,

After that everything progressed relatively issue free, thankfully, however I had mentally prepared myself for the worst.

My approach was slightly different to others, I wanted to start the way i want to continue my life. That is live my life like I was already in maintenance. I watch what I eat, mainly low fat Protein, lo GI carbs, veggies and fruit. I never have a Protein shake or protein supplements.I have not denied myself any food at any point, as long as my sleeve could handle it. I still dont handle too much sugary things too well, even tho chocolate was one of my favourite things pre-surgery now I really cant handle more than a bite size peice, and now honestly dont even want it now. My body generally craves things that are good for it in the traditional sense. Nowadays my drinking and eatting feel normal to me. Eatting is now a thing I do to fuel myself, and i do need to make a concious effort to make sure I remember to eat. Pre-surgery I enjoyed tasting new things, was a bit of a foodie, still am, just at a smaller capacity.

I started a work out routine as soon as I was cleared to do it, before that i would walk as much as I could. Initially I had alot of fatigue and it was a struggle. Now I run and able to keep up with some of the fittest people I know. I did start doing 2 sessions a day for 5 days a week, I have tempered this back some and work harder while I am there and incorporate exercise in most parts of my life.

I have PCOS, so loosing weight has always been difficult. But most of my symptoms have tapered off, not completely gone but diminished. I am only now dealing with post op reflux which I did not have before, apparently this should not go on this far out, so working my doctor on this.

At the moment I am 84 kgs (185 pounds) and still loosing...now it is a very different experience. The weight loss isnt constant like it was initially, now I will not loose anything for a few weeks and then all of a suddden drop a few more kgs. I am 9 kgs away from where I was wanted to end up in weight. However I am relatively happy with my body, working more on toning that anything. I have alot of excess skin now, that i may eventually try and do something about. I have put some pictures as of this morning and pre-surgery below, please dont be too judgemental, I know that there is still work to be done, i still have the rolls in my middle and i am sure they will be the last to go, but this is where I am today.

The last 10 months hasnt always been easy, I have needed to face many of my issues, with eatting, stress, people expectations and learning to live a healthier life.

My advise to anyone who is considering the surgery is be ready to face missing food, changing your relationship eatting, ready to not eat like you did before. You need to be ready for change.

I am now planning my celebration of the hard work, and a culmination of things have lead to the right timing. Next month I am taking 2.5 months off and am planning a roadtrip around parts of the US, where I plan on doing everything I was previously limited doing cause of weight limits, horse riding, ziplining, hiking, rafiting, riding rollercoasters. I plan a real celebration of life, driving round in my convertible mustang....

Life really is exciting now..

Sorry it was a long post.

post-15341-13813659288139_thumb.png

post-15341-13813659288491_thumb.png

post-15341-13813659288693_thumb.jpg

Great job!!! :) You look fantastic! :)

Thanks Lissa!!

Wow... Sexy chica. You look fantastic. Congratulations

amazing! you look great!!! :)

Congratulations on your weight loss and attitude. Have a wonderful time on your trip!

You look amazing and your story is inspiring. Congrats to you and may you continue on this road of happiness and healthiness!!

Thank you for sharing. This really helps motivate and let us know it's possible. Keep up the hard work. You look great!

Congrats on your positive attitude. And good luck on your continued weight loss.

Congrats! You look fabulous!

Weight loss surgery can be hard at times I'm 10days out and I'm still getting used to not chugging my Water. Congrats on Ur life changes, I bet it feels good to be in a size that's comfortable for u. Good luck.

You look amazing! Congrats on your success...thank you for sharing your inspiring story!!!

I think you look great! What an amazing success, your post is very inspirational to those of us who are still waiting for their sleeve (and who have so e doubts about their own capabilities!)

I hope you have a blast on your trip, and that every activity is what you hoped it would be!

Cheers!