Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know really I should be more worried about Protein than carbs but I must say...I hear people talking all the time of how they are only getting 13 - 18 carbs....??? how if you are drinking milk?

Right? People have turned into carb-aphobes. I think as long as you put Protein first you're fine. My diet right now is 50% carbs, 25% protein & 25% fat (now, I am working to change that) but I'm still losing 1-2lbs/wk... It all depends on the type of carbs, etc.

Some people stay at 30g, I believe, as that causes rapid weight loss. I'm at about 60-70g on average and im down 82 ibs since feb 1. It really just depends on your level of comfortability.

As already mentioned, the type of carbs is very important. I might be one of those people might refer to as a "carbaphobe", but it has worked for me. Throughout my entire journey, I have really zeroed in on keeping my carbs as low as possible. Some days zero, others 10 to 15, but never higher than 30. That being said I have gone off track a time or two, but overall that is what I did.

Oh, and as for milk- I can't drink it anymore. I've become somewhat lactose intolerant. I can handle some things, but something like milk I can't handle anymore.

If you're focusing on Protein, the amount of carbs (particularly "bad" carbs...starches like breads, potato, rice, Pasta, etc) will be low, by default. The post-surgery diet (if you're focusing on protein first, then a little bit of veggies) is like the Atkins diet....on steroids. The reason we burn fat so quickly is because, on this diet, we stay in a state of ketosis (the goal of the Atkins diet)...and our bodies convert stored fat back to sugars, to burn for energy. That's the whole point. If you eat too many carbs...regardless of the source...you won't remain in ketosis, and you won't burn fat as quickly. If you're curious, buy a bottle of Ketostix, and check your urine for ketones. And if you're not sure how many carbs, or what type of carbs, you should be eating, check with your nutritionist. Best of luck.