Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve In The Long Run....

Has anyone had surgery for a few years? I am just wanting to know the long term effects of the sleeve. As human I do not think we are suppose to eat as much as we do anyway. So will I be normal? Or not be able to hold anything down. Got approved today and I'm getting scared. EEEEEEK!!!

I also have this question. I asked my doctor what would happen 30 years from now having the sleeve? What are the long term reprocusions to not having 85% of your stomach? He answered "if you don't take control of your weight, you will not be alive in 30 years!" That hit home! I still am curious to long term effects, but through all of my research people are more ill before surgery than after. Excited to start my new life!

my mom basically had this procedure 20+ years ago due to having stomach cancer. She had about 75% of her stomach removed. She was 180lbs before her cancer, and she has been 110 since. She is normal and cancer free! That is proof to me this is the way to go !!

I heard that it was a procedure that originated with patients who had stomach cancer. That is fascinating. Congrats to you and your Mama!

I heard that it was a procedure that originated with patients who had stomach cancer. That is fascinating. Congrats to you and your Mama!

Stomach cancer, stomach tumors and cycts, septic conditions, ulcers (extreme but done), abdominal injury, piercing wounds, and more...alien abductions - oh wait that is anal probes...

Yes, stomach surgery has decades of history.

Let's see.... I was 8 when my father had 75% of his stomach removed due to hemorhaging ulcers. He died of alcohol-related circumstances when I was in my early 20's. I don't recall that he ate much differently, but my folks separated when I was 9, so I wasn't in touch with him much. I do recall that he remained slim throughout his life.

So, that was done over 51 years ago, and he lived at least 12 - 14 years. Probably would have lived much longer had he stayed away from the booze.

I intend to live at least 25 more years!

I am 3 weeks out and was told by my doctor that I would not even know that I had the surgery after some time. In other words my body will learn to live with the small stomach and that's it. Being heavy is much more dangerous and limiting that having a smaller tummy. I do not miss my 80% of the tummy gone. I am happy and at the same time loosing the weight. Good luck to you.

All of your replies really out things into perspective! I never thought about ulcers and stomach cancer, it sounds like everyone is doing great!

Thanks for that sleeve of steel

Yea sleeve of steel I was gonna say the same thing- I have a great aunt that had her stomach removed due to Cancer, it was several years back - she's 103 now!! Seriously!