Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 Months Post-Op: Gall Bladder Removal

Haven't been on here in awhile and just thought I'd post an update. I am 65 lbs down and in the 170's now. I am so happy..and all of my clothes fit or are to big now. Its a great feeling. Has anyone else ever been sitting in a office meeting wondering how many of the people are smaller than you? (Mostly cause you're embarressed about how big you are?) and then thinking...'okay..well I know she doesn't weigh less than me" well I did....all the time. That's finally stopped. I'm not worried about it anymore. Also, I'm not worried about over eating anymore....I just can't.

However here are some drawbacks I've run into: Because of gall bladder issues, I can't really eat much, other than tofu, fish, low fat cheese and popcorn. Because of that, my Protein intake has gone way down and I've lost A LOT of hair. Serious amounts. Sorta concerning...even to my husband, but its normal. Frustrating, but normal.

AND I'm one of the "lucky" ones that got gallstones after losing weight so I am having surgery to remove it on Friday. It was rather quick, since I've been having attacks. I saw my surgeon on Monday (I already had the ultrasound done by my PCP last week) and he said that it needed to come out asap before any complications arise, so....Friday. Same surgeon who did my sleeve. At the time he didn't think I needed my gallbladder out cause I wasn't very large to begin with and he didn't forsee my weight loss being so sufficient that it would cause stones...but alast it has. Oh well. That's the way the ball bounces I guess....If it will stop me from throwing up and having pain in my side....well I'm all for it. Nervous a little, but i had a feeling it was coming for about a month now.

Anyway, just wanted to give an update. Hope everyone is doing well and rocking their sleeves!! Keep at it!

:( to hear your going to have surgery to remove your gallbladder. It will feel nice to be back to normal really soon with no pain and throwing up. This will help you stay on a healthy diet also. The Up side, you will have a beautiful, healthy, sexy, body! :) Oh, and a lot of confidence to come!

Oh wow! Do gallstones hurt? How did you know you had them?

Well, for awhile meat made me nauseous and I didn't realize that what I had originally was an attack; i.e. I was out one night, had been to a comedy show and drinking and then...as you do...I ate a slider at a bar and immediately ran outside and threw it up. I've had three other attacks similar to that, occuring more frequently, until I realized it was any kind of fat, oil, etc that was making me get sick. And i started getting this pain in my side. Sorta a cross between a burning and stabbing pain under my ribcage. So I went to the PCP and she did an ultrasound and it was very clear that I had stones. She recommended I have I have it out and see my surgeon asap. She forwarded him the ultrasound and he said the same thing and wanted it out this week. So....at least I have a good healthcare team in place.

This is something I did not have to worry about because I have already had my gall bladder and appendix out while I was preggo with my younger son...but the surgery isn't that bad at all...good luck to you and you will def feel better when it is out :) congrats on the weight loss that is fantastic!!

Hmmm...I am slowly getting concerned about my gallbladder. I think it is time to schedule an appontment with my PCP.

well from what I've learned, better safe than sorry. But a lot of people have stones and don't have any symptoms. Apparently the only time you have to start worrying is when you start having symptoms...like throwing up, getting nauseous after eating, getting a fever after eating, etc. But hey, if you are worried about it, see your PCP. Your best healthcare advocate is yourself.....as I found out. If I hadn't been persistent, I could have ended up much worse off.

Where you on any medication to prevent the gall stones prior to developing them? My surgeon put me on ursadiol. I'm hoping that will keep me out of trouble.