Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Irritating Comment From Family Member

My niece had bypass about five months ago and when I told her i was having the sleeve, she made the comment that " Well, a donut go down as easily as healthy protein." She acts like she is the authority on this and that the bypass is the only way to go!! HELLO, I do not think I will be stuffing my self with donuts any time soon. My surgery is Thursday- pre-op sucks!!!

People can give you all kinds of weight loss advice and think they know it all. As I continue with my post-op it is surprising to hear all the negative comments I receive, especially from family members. People who comment like this do not realize what we are going through. It takes a lot of guts in my opinion to make the decision to have the VSG. Perhaps your niece may think there might be a competition in it for her and she is already trying to sabotage your efforts. Think strong! You are IN THIS TO WIN IT - for yourself and no one else. I wish you much success in your weight loss!

Maybe your niece just wants to be the only one "looking good". Just ignore the rude comments and keep on losing:)

I would have probably shot back and said "Oh is that what happened to you?" She would say "NO". . . then I would say "oh it's just that you knew that a donut goes down easy so I thought you had tried it" . . . .

Lmao your so funny!

Let's make that " a donut can go down as easily..." I am an English teacher so I had to correct my bad grammar!! Thanks for the kind words!

People are amazing. My brother in law is overweight and all he could say when I told him was, "I think it's a bad idea and you should just accept yourself the way you are." When I explained I was doing this for medical reasons (my heart and high blood pressure in particular) he glossed right over those and told me to cut back on my eating. Talk about oblivious! He is a really good guy, but he seems to be jealous. When I continued to press him on WHY it was a "bad idea" he had no reason. Nothing. People are amazingly jealous. Why not just be supportive? Uggghhh...

I know someone that at 6 months out on GBP could eat doughnuts, I have seen another eatting very small piece of cake.... Either way both are a tool....

Both are a tool...I took in two separate ways and I'm laughing my butt off right now.

People do get jealous and people are afraid of the unknown and people are biased on their doctor's, their surgery methods, their way of thinking.

Obviously being big we have learned to have thick skin and sometimes it's hard to keep quiet when someone is rude.

Just be proud of what you are doing and the reasons why are you are doing it. Gastric Bypass does work for some people, but there are people that try to buck the system and find ways to cheat, and if she's mentioning donut, that means she's looking for the out and I have seen people have Gastric Sleeve and gain all the weight back. Same thing can happen to us, it's a lifestyle change.

Good Luck to you and try to keep a positive attitude, it's almost your time!! Best wishes.

One thing I've noticed with a lot of WLS patients is that they have a superior attitude about their surgery. There's a reason we all chose the sleeve: because we thought it was the best. Clearly, she feels the same about her surgery. I had a similar experience at a support group when a woman asked us all "why DIDN'T you chose the bypass?" as though it was the silliest thing she'd ever heard.

All we can do is take it with a grain of salt. Ignorance is ignorance no matter what, and can only be solved when the ignorant chose to solve it for themselves. Just smile and say: "Well so does raw liver, but I won't be swallowing that any time soon either." ;)