Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im So Scared To Do This!

This is my first post ever. I'm scheduled for my sleeve on July 13. I'm terrified. I keep thinking of chickening out. I had a band, that had to be removed when I was pregnant! After that nightmare, I'm so gun shy. This is permanent! I don't want to vomit and have food stuck everytime I eat. I don't want to wake up with puke coming out my nose and choking. I don't want the poor results I had with the band. Help me do this anyway you can! Thanks!

I am only 6 weeks out, but I am on regular food now and have never thrown up, do not have reflux, have not had a problem with any food. I hear that the band is quiet different than the sleeve but have not had any experience with it.

Do not be afraid. Hubby just came home from having his sleeve done on Tuesday. He is doing wonderful and I'm having mine on July 23. I am psyched to get started with it. Believe me, I was so afraid that he'd be complaining about pain, and being miserable and make me chicken out, but he has been a real trooper. HE was up walking the 1st day, walked a bunch yesterday and today. Do what they say, and you'll be just fine. Walk, walk, walk and Sip, sip, sip. The worst part of the whole thing for him was the uncomfortable hospital bed. He's so happy to be home in his chair today. The world of medicine has come a long way. Do not be afraid. Go for it with confidence!

Congrats first of all!!!! You have a date set and you CAN do this. I think most of us went through a period where we amost chickened out. I can say personally at 2 weeks post op now that it's the best decison I could have made. I have tolerated all food very well... and yes I am on solid food already and doing fine with it. I used to have horrible acid reflux and that is completely gone now that I am losing weigh and the surgeon fixed my hiatal hernia. Unlike the band you really don't get stuck with the sleeve... you have no restriction point like you did with the band. Don't chicken out... you won't regret the surgery. Best of luck!!!!

I had my surgery on May 3rd, 2012 and I feel great I have lost 47 pounds so far! I had no issues with Vomiting or choking I have actually been doing very good the only thing that I did have trouble with is eating really slow...

I am 5 1/2 weeks post op. I'm transitioning to a regular diet. I have NEVER thrown up. I follow the rules. My best friend has the lap band and throws up all the time. She wishes the sleeve would have been an option for her. I am never sick and I have lost twice the amount of weight she did in the first six weeks (35 lbs. in 5.5 weeks). Being nervous is normal, but you will love the sleeve.

Watch the stories of people who got the VSG on youtube. That helped me decide to do it. Now I'm studly as ever!

Thanks. I have a baby. How long will I need help with her? Any idea?

I took 5 days off from work, with a baby, it's can be harder for you. Main thing I would suggest is not to lift anything over 20-25 lbs, walk around as much as you can!

From what I hear from several people who had the band and are now sleeved: the sleeve does what the band promises to do without all the side effects (like vomiting!) So you get permanent restriction for life. How great is that?

However YOU still need to be in the drivers seat. YOU CHOOSE WHAT YOU PUT IN YOUR MOUTH and sometimes it's hard to keep making good choices day in and day out. But having the tool of permanent restriction is real and I would not be where I am today (weight-loss wise) without having 85% of my stomach removed.

BTW, I'm 20 months post-op and have never, never, never ONCE thrown up ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!! My hubby is 15 months post-op and he has thrown up 3 times...all due to overfilling the sleeve and all when he was still not far out from surgery and trying to reconcile what his EYES wanted him to EAT and what his SLEEVE could possibly HOLD. Newbie mistakes that he didn't make again.

From what I hear from several people who had the band and are now sleeved: the sleeve does what the band promises to do without all the side effects (like vomiting!) So you get permanent restriction for life. How great is that?

However YOU still need to be in the drivers seat. YOU CHOOSE WHAT YOU PUT IN YOUR MOUTH and sometimes it's hard to keep making good choices day in and day out. But having the tool of permanent restriction is real and I would not be where I am today (weight-loss wise) without having 85% of my stomach removed.

BTW' date=' I'm 20 months post-op and have never, never, never ONCE thrown up ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!! My hubby is 15 months post-op and he has thrown up 3 times...all due to overfilling the sleeve and all when he was still not far out from surgery and trying to reconcile what his EYES wanted him to EAT and what his SLEEVE could possibly HOLD. Newbie mistakes that he didn't make again.[/quote']

I think that last sentence about sums it up for me. Getting my brain and my stomach on the same page is gonna take a bit

My baby is 16 pounds right now. I have help for the first 2 weeks. Dr said no lifting over 15 for 6 weeks. Well????

I'm feeling better about doing this. I am struggling so badly with guilt of leaving my baby for so long while I recover. However, hubby's ins will pay this year. Who knows if they will pull that benefit next year. Now or never. I'm also scared something will happen and I will leave my baby. Truly I think I have a greater risk of my obesity issue than the surgery.

Since your baby is still small I say 2-3 weeks may be fine.

Just let me say, the band was the worst thing I ever chose to do. I was stupid for not researching. I was a fool to let myself vomit/pb everyday for 5 years. I'm so scared I'm not researching enough this time too. Since this one is PERMANENT. I don't want to feel nauseated everyday for my life. Then again, I don't want to be on every fad diet again. Why can't I have good metabolism like my brother? I was the athlete, who dieted constantly and watched the scale climb anyways. He was, and still is, the bottomless pit. Eats whatever, tons of it, all day long. Ugh.