Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When's The Big Day? How Are You Feeling?

I know it's in our profile but I thought it would be easier to put our dates together :)

My procedure is taking place on July 19, 2012.

I am anxious and nervous all at the same time. I feel and imagine myself to be much smaller than what is projected back in the mirror. One of the things I'm most excited to do post-op is complete an entire Zumba class without simplfying the moves because of my knees or even difficulty breathing. What is the one thing you are looking forward to most after the surgery??

Hi Melissa,

I'm Laura. I'm having my surgery on July 10th, in Charleston SC. I am very excited and anxious to start my new life!! I have two little boys who are VERY active and I want to be able to really keep up with them! I've also become very secluded. I am a very fun, talkative outgoing person, but as I've continued to gain weight I've become more of a home body. And I live at the beach!! I don't even want to go because I am so uncomfotable and embarrassed by my weight, even though my kids are begging me to go every day! I also have Lupis and Fibromyagia. So trying to deal with both diseases and chase kids with all of this extra weight is really hard! Oh my goodness I am glad to hear you have the same image problem as me. Often I feel smaller than I actually am! Its shocking to see a picture of what I really look like! I have never been a small person, but when I was a 16/18 I felt a lot smaller and had a flat belly!!! Man I miss that!! Are you worried about loose skin? I am so afraid I am going to have a lot of loose skin, especially under my arms! And I have NO money for cosmetic surgery! I hope you are well! Take care!

Thanks for joining and commenting, Laura! Congrats on your decision and I'll definitely be thinking about you come July 10th. You'll have to keep me posted on the surgery, as well as the new journey :)

I am definitely worried about loose skin but am already searching for specific exercises to target the areas of concern when I'm allowed to resume working out post-surgery. Weight lifting will be an important focus. Every person is different-- I have seen (on this site, particularly) some individuals who are my size or larger and only needed a breast augmentation while others had a Tummy Tuck, breast augmentation, and had excess skin removed on their arms and legs. I'm going to give it my best for two years post-surgery and see where I end up. I'm sure I'll be just as insecure with the loose skin as I am being overweight so it's another hurdle I'll have to address when the time is right.

I agree Melissa, we should focus on first getting the surgery and losing weight. I have started trying to work on my arms. Also I bought on of those big resistance balls (I think that's what they are called, like a big bouncy ball) I can do a LOT of crunches on those things! So tomorrow I start working out with it! Need to start walking more. I haven't in the last few days because I have been sick. But I have been swimming. We'll cross the loose skin hurdle when we get to it! And support eachother along the way! take care!!

Hi, I'm Danielle. I'm having surgery on the 12th. I'm excited and nervous at the same time. I'm a single mom to a 5 yr old boy so I'm really looking forward to keeping up with him and being able to do Piloxing class without lookin like a huge blob. My family isn't supportive so I come here to get my support. They say I'm taking the easy way out....how is it the easy way when I've had to work hard to get to this point? Oh well. I will show them that it's not only the surgery thats doing the work but I'm the one making the weight disappear. Look forward to hearing about your experiences with surgery and following with your progress :)

Danielle-

I'll be here to support you from now until eternity! I am in the same position- my family does not support the surgery and also see it is the easy way out. My oldest sister was roughly 330 pounds at her heaviest and lost all the weight herself through diet and exercise. I tried myself and had successful attempts, but nothing long term. I have a very under-active thyroid which makes losing weight extremely difficult. In fact, my family has no idea that I'm traveling to Mexico to have the procedure done. One of my close friends had the procedure done at this specifc clinic and was very successful. He is now 1.5 years out and down over 100 pounds. He is my emergency contact and with much bravery, stated that he would contact my sister if something serious were to happen. BLESS HIS HEART!

I COMPLETELY understand what you are going through and will be here for you if you ever need anything.

Much love!

~*~ Melissa ~*~

I'm Johnathan and my surgery is JULY 25th!!!!

I am looking forward to becoming healthy and to have the body that I AM SUPPOSED TO HAVE!

My life is going to change so dramatically and I just can't wait! I would have surgery tonight at midnight if they called me for it lol. I have not let myself date since my last relationship because I told myself nobody wants me the way I am, and I don't even want to take my clothes off in front of another person much less sleep with anyone no matter how much I may know they care for me. So I really can't wait to get this weight off and start looking great and get back to dating and hopefully find someone to spend the reset of my life with!

OH and 1 more thing- I LOVE TO SHOP and can't wait to buy an entire new wardrobe! I haven't been able to shop at The Buckle in about 2 years and they have the best jeans ever! Tight in the butt and thigh! WOO HOO can't wait to put on a pair again lol

Let's all keep in touch throughout this!

Johnathan

Welcome, Johnathan!!

Congrats on setting the date! I LOVE your goals and feel the same way on many levels-- from loving to shop and wanting to buy a wardrobe to not letting myself date or even enjoy life (due to personal insecurities). I rarely go out and every picture taken of me in the last 4 years or so was deleted when my friends of families' backs were turned.

I absolutely would love to keep in touch from this day forward. It's always nice to share support and watch the progress of others. My procedure is on the 19th, so just a couple days shy of you. :)

Welcome, Johnathan!!

Congrats on setting the date! I LOVE your goals and feel the same way on many levels-- from loving to shop and wanting to buy a wardrobe to not letting myself date or even enjoy life (due to personal insecurities). I rarely go out and every picture taken of me in the last 4 years or so was deleted when my friends of families' backs were turned.

I absolutely would love to keep in touch from this day forward. It's always nice to share support and watch the progress of others. My procedure is on the 19th, so just a couple days shy of you. :)

Thank you Melissa!

I am beyond excited and ready for this! I know how ya feel about pictures! I am def. going to take a few before my surgery just so I can have visuals after i start losing weight so that I can look back if I ever feel down about not losing fast enough, etc. Most pictures i've taken in the past few years are all "Face Pics" lol...I can't stand to see my entire body in a picture the way it is now! But i tell ya I sure can't wait much longer to see it look good in a picture lol

Absolutely I would love to keep in touch and see how we progress. Too excited! I am on cloud 9 lol

Johnathan

HI :) I'm LaNoya and my surgery is set for July 10, 2012! im soooo excited and ready to let out this healthier more vibrant self :) i have alot of support and im ready to get and stay healthy :)

Hi Everyone!!! My surgery date is July 17th. I am excited yet nervous about post op! But, I know I will prevail. Best of luck to everyone!!! Please let us know how your doing after surgery. I will do the same.

Well here goes... my name is Robin and my surgery date is scheduled for July 10th.

I'm happy to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks they're smaller than they are. I see photos and wonder who that person is, surely that can't be me! I've struggled with my weight my entire life and can't count how many times I've lost the same 50 lbs.

I'm really looking forward to feeling good about my body again. I'm a little worried about the loose skin, too. My doctor's office requires a lot of pre-op classes and it was discussed it in one of those that if you do 30 minutes of weight training at least 3 days a week and 30 minutes of cardio 6 days a week that it shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'm really trying to have faith in that holding true for me, but it's so hard!

I hope everyone's surgery goes well. Just keep thinking how much healthier and happier we're going to be 6 months from now! :D

My big day was July 2nd! I feel great and it's only day 4. Best decision I've ever made in my life :) already down 7lbs.

Hi everyone, my name is Donna and I am scheduled to be sleeved on July 31st! It has been such a long journey, I can't believe I really have a date. I feel that my world has gotten smaller as I have gotten larger...I go out less and do things with people less...I am so ready to make new changes. I will be thinking of you all!

Friday the 13th!! UGGGG. Oh well, my surgeon isn't concerned, guess I shouldn't be either....Sooooo excited.