Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Occ/ Dr Ortiz And My Experience

7 days post op… sharing experience (this is very long)

I traveled 5/27…. (I was on liquids which did include Protein Shakes (so not Clear Liquids only) per OCC. I packed Atkins shakes in checked bag with no problem. Also took individual packet of Syntrax Nectar in carry on. It was easier to travel on liquids than I expected.

Marriott Hotel was nice and restaurant was very accommodating to OCC patients. Just advise them you are OCC patient and they bring you broth and Popsicle (covered by OCC). The bottled Water IN restaurant is not covered. Your chicken broth can be enhanced w/ pepper and lime for a little more flavor.

The day of surgery, patients met to take shuttle over to OCC together. It was nice getting to meet and greet each of them and educational in learning tidbits they shared. Once @ OCC we were ask for printed copies of our survey. I recommend printing a copy and taking with you. Then I met w/ Dr Miranda to discuss post-op diet. Then Cardiologist. We were asked to put on booties before having blood work done and IV’s put in.

Then I was taken to room where Dr Ortiz introduced himself. While in room I was given sublinquil medication for pain and nausea as well as something in IV. It made me feel so calm and relaxed…. Then off to surgery. I remember being introduced to anesthesiologist and before he finished talking I was “out.” Next thing I remember is being back in room and told to “WAKE UP”. I was a little groggy from the anesthesia but up walking w/in the hour. I did have to go to the bathroom quite a bit so I was up walking the halls back and forth to the bathroom. Visitors have to leave @ 4PM. About 6 I was up and wandering the halls and discovered 2 computers for patient use. I checked FB and sent some messages to friends to let them know how I was doing.

Next day, IV came out and patients gathered for trip back to Hotel. Only one patient (the last surgery of previous day) stayed a little longer. The rest of us were good to go. I slept on and off most of day 2 post op. (but I was able to sleep on left side with no issues)

Day 3 we went back to OCC for drain check… Then walked to Wal-Mart for shopping and had the broth of a Soup @ Chili’s w/ another patient. We stopped at a small convenience store across from Marriott for Popsicle on the way back. They had mango Popsicle which were WONDERFUL. (store has a big donuts on outside of it)

Day 4 was drain removal..(Which pinched a little but nothing bad) and travel back to SD thru customs and check into the hotel we chose. We ate @ Red Lobster and I thinned down some Lobster bisque. Then we walked to a strip center and shopped, had mani-pedi’s and toured the grocery store Von’s where I got Earl Grey Tea. Felt more like vacation than post surgery.

Day 5 was a long day of travel but again, I did GREAT! We left @ 8:30AM in taxi to airport and didn’t arrive home until 12:15 PM that night. I did purchase an extra dose of the pain med and did take one that AM just to be on safe side but probably could have done it w/o it.

I have had little to no pain. Just a little discomfort occasionally from gas (TMI).

Actually felt so well when I got home I might have over done it just a little. I kept popping up to do something else and was using my legs more for the up and down from chair. My knees hurt a little but stomach is still great!

I am having no trouble sipping or consuming full liquids. I actually do seem to know when I get hungry and need more. It is still early so I am only getting about 500-600 calories and 30 grams of Protein right now. But that is what is expecting per diet plan. Pre-diet I never dreamed that would be filling but it totally is.

OCC gave first class care and can’t say enough good things about my experience w/ OCC and Dr Ortiz. Never would have believed it would have gone this smooth. Back @ work 7 days post op.

I'd lost 18.5 lbs prior to surgery, gained 7 during surgery (expected) but by the time I got home day 5, I had lost the 7 plus 5 more for a total wt loss of 23.5 lbs....

Hopefully, this story helps anyone planning to go to Dr Ortiz/OCC to give you some tips and calm any concerns. ( every experience is different but mine was GREAT! )

BTW -- I had a wonderful friend that went with me that had been sleeved by Dr Ortiz in Nov (6 mo. ago) that was a wealth of information and had every little thing planned before I needed it.

Glad your experience went so smoothly. I had contemplated going to Dr. Ortiz a while back. But at that time i was considering the Lap Band.

I had my surgery with Dr. Ortiz April 16th and like yourself I had an amazing experience!! He and his staff are top notch and I am soooooo happy that I chose him as my surgeon!!! TEAM ORTIZ all the way!!!!! :)

Congrats! It makes my decision going to Dr. Ortiz that much more positive. Thank you for all the great info! I have my Revision surgery scheduled with Dr. Ortiz on September 10th. Good luck and keep us posted!

Cheers, Dottie

P.S. My Mom lives in Myrtle Beach and that is where I will be doing my recovery time until I fly back to the Cayman Islands.

Scubadottie -Don't think you will need much recovery so ENJOY your time in MB w/ Mom! I did AWESOME after!!!

I am 3 wks post op and still not having any issues. Just introduced soft foods and while I do feel the restriction a little more and get full fast... I am still in no pain!

I've lost 33.4 lbs total! (18 preop /rest post - op that even includes a minor stall while my body adjusted )...

Best wishes to you!

*BTW -- my friend that had surgery in Nov had a revision and she had a great experience. She was thrilled with her recovery as well!*

Can I ask how much it cost? and what is included. thanks I have been denied 2x by my ins.

Can I ask how much it cost? and what is included. thanks I have been denied 2x by my ins.

email them and ask for information on their summer special.....they got right back to me within 18 hours or so.....I am going August 13th to Dr. Ortiz/OCC! (and no insurance pay, I am paying...)

thx so much for all the info! tnis really helps to know what is actually to be expected, I have an oct.3 Dr. Ortiz date!

I'm glad you guys had a great experience, my surgery was with dr verboonen in Mexico and lets just say the experience was less than desirable, almost like a nightmare. Thank god at least I'm fine so far and sleeved and losing weight which was the ultimate goal anyway! Yay! Ive done great and not had any complications thus far and very little pain but as for everything else it was a cluster****. Can't say I am happy about the trip and all the organization surrounding the surgery and the coordinator who got paid to do absolutely nothing in my eyes because she was in another part of Mexico when we got there so we never met her nor would she return our calls while we were in Mexico but i guess some have good experiences and some have bad. Definitely go with a doctor that has a lot of positive reviews, they tend to want to keep their reputation up and make their patients happy ones!