Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Six Weeks Post Op- Stalled 2 Weeks :(

Well, just wanted to get some moral support here and see if others have had the same experience.

I am 6 weeks post op-- lost 37 pounds in four weeks and have now gained 5 in the past two.

I am being compliant diet-wise, though my doctor told me 3 weeks ago I could start adding normal foods, but that hasn't agreed with me so I am going back to mostly liquids and soft stuff.

I'm probably not getting quite enough Water, but I'm trying.

I am exercising- rejoined the gym, I'm feeling good and am starting to receive some compliments on my appearance.

From what I read on the board, this kind of stall is normal, but it certainly is discouraging, especially when I gained a little bit back.

I know (hope) I'll start losing again soon --- don't know how I couldn't with as little as I am able to eat! I am so impatient!!

I'd be interested in your comments!

Randall

I'm 4-5 days into my first stall at 4 weeks and I'm really discouraged! I don't have advice, but I feel for you! According to everyone else, this happens and will end. Good luck!

I am 5 wks postop. Have lost a total of 24 pounds counting 2-wk liquid preop diet. In 3 wks, I had lost 1 pound. I've been eating about 500-600 cal a day, and today I gained a pound! Just walking for exercise so far, and getting very frustrated.

I am too at a small stall, I am 14 1/2 weeks out and havent lost in 11 days. I had a stall earlier and changed up what I was eating, added a bit more calories and really concentrated on my Water intake and lost 5 lbs the next week. Just some trial and error is all I can suggest, everyone is different. Good luck to you, let us know what you tried and what worked for you.

I know how you feel.

I just sent an email to my doc because the depression is kicking in from not losing more than a pound in 8 days. I'll be six weeks out on Thursday, and I've lost under 25lbs post-op. I thought by now I'd be at least 40lbs down. I'm sticking to 600 cals/day and get all my protein/water/etc. I'm pretty exhausted lately, and being a stay at home mom of 2 kids under 4 isn't helping =) I read another post that B-12 helps the exhaustion, but I'm not sure what to do about this stall. I stalled for a week at week 3 as well. I know it's not an overnight solution, but I'm getting pretty discouraged :(

I read an explanation somewhere else in this forum that explains the 4+- week stall and possibly even a bit of gain back. I'll do my best to relay it.

In the pre-op & the first level or 2 of post-op diet you are receiving very little Protein this actually causes the body to cannibalize itself tearing down some of the muscle in your body to provide the Protein it needs. Once you get to the stage where you are providing protein through what you consume, you're body starts replacing that muscle it consumed. Since your body is building healthy muscle at the same time it depletes stored fat cells (keep in mind muscle is considerably heavier than fat) you appear to stall or even gain back a few pounds.

Stay the course. Keep the end goal in mind. Win the war, even if a battle or two don't appear victorious.

I feel your pain..... been in a stall for the last couple weeks myself. You are so right.......It is very discouraging. Remember you're not alone, lots of us new sleeves are in the same boat. Hang in there :)

Thanks for the comments-- while I'm not happy that any of you are having a stall, it does help to know others are going through it and it is just part of the process! I told my wife to hide the scale from me so I won't be so obsessed to weigh all the time.