Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gained 30 Pounds 3 Years Out

Did great after surgery. My eating habits have reverted back to old ways. I eat fast and don't stop when full. Often I get sick.

I find if I overeat, I start coughing (wet cough). Wondering if anyone else experienced this!

I just discovered this forum today. Look forward to learning.

Hey, you already know what the issues are, you eat fast and don't stop when full and y ou end up getting sick. That's a huge step just admitting that is what you are doing. Best suggestion I have is to start back to the beginning, try a websight like http://myfitnesspal.com to start documenting your Water intake, your protein/carbs and Caloric intake. It's such an easy site to navagate. Go high protien, low carb (remembering that the carbs, calories, etc. t suggest will be much higher) than someone who had the sleeve. By reverting back to high Protein, low carb it will start shrinking your stomach, remember chew your food thoroughly 20 times each. Drink something hot, like broth or hot tea about 1/2 hour 45 minutes for you eat.

Get your day started right with something like Pure Protein 100% whey Protein shakes (has 25gm of protein). Try it with skim milk and some ice cube and you'll find it's tasty and filling and inexpensive and you can buy a big jug at places like Target.

You can turn this around, with the support of people here. I'm sure others have had the same experience as you. Good luck and keep in touch.

You went through all the hard work before, it's a little set-back, but you are still and of course you can come here for some encouragement. Coughing and choking when you overeat is no fun and I'm sorry. Don't forget to try to take in 10,000 steps a day, make sure you are taking in enough Vitamins, especially B's to help with your energy.

Hi Steve ...

Obviously, you know you need help and support or you wouldn't be here. Welcome to the forums and I know you came to the right place. So many people who have been through what your going through are on here.

I second everything MinaT said. Get rid of the bread, Pasta, rice, all those carbs and you'll get it back off. Up your cardio.

You can do it. Stop the bleeding before it gets worse.

Good luck!!

Carol

Exactly what CC said, you know what you are doing wrong, you came here knowing this was a resource for help, you know how to fix it. I would say that almost the very first thing you should do, besides throwing away all your carbs, is to open a yellow pages and find a therapist IMMEDIATELY. We wouldn't perform our own VSG's and there are professionals out there to help us with our heads, which control everything else.

Do you think you could do a 5 day pouch reset? I'd recommend it.

Hello everyone,

Happy 4th. I had my one anniversary sleeve on June 30 and have only lost 40 pounds.

I need support to continue.

I was reading about 5 day pouch reset. What is that and how do you do it. I need all your support, suggestions, and real talk to help me I'm do discouraged.

LegendQueenT

One foot in front of the other, one step at a time, if you fall down get up! QueenT

type into your search engine 5 day pouch test It will bring it up for you. Let me just warn you though, it's really tough! for a couple of days you do nothing but Protein Shakes, and then you progress to soft to firm foods. It's hard cause it chases out the carb addiction, but it really works. Good luck on that one. I'm so sorry to hear about your mishap Steve, hopefully you'll get back on track. . .remember why you did this surgery in the first place, surely it wasn't to get back to "old ways" I'm out 3 years now as well and even though it's tough, I still maintain my weight, get on the every now and then diet to loose a bit more. Why, because i was self pay and $15,500.00 is not easy to just throw away. . .i worked incredibly hard for that money and i want this surgery to last me for my lifetime. . . that is only me though, good luck to you and again, i hope you get back on the wagon with us. . . keep us posted

go to www.5daypouchtest.com I do this every three months to keep myself on track. I just finished two days ago and feel nice and tight again. You can indeed stretch it but never back to it's original size. The good news is you still have your tool...so just make up your mind to use it. I'm sorry to hear you have only lost 40 pounds it must be very discouraging, have you had your hormones and thyroid tested?

Hey Steve - I hope you can get back on track. Gaining 30 lbs 3 years out scares the heck out of me. I'm about to do this myself. I hope this forum helps you.

Thanks guys for the suggestion of the 5-day Pouch Test. I'm at six-months out and have only lost about three pounds in the last six weeks. I know my body is resetting, but this is not good. Still losing hair like crazy too.

I will give it a shot and let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

Carol

Thanks for support.

I didn't realize my stomach would restretch. Can handle more food as time goes on.

Here's what I was told by my dr:

"We take out the stretchy part of the stomach (why bypass pts gains back so much) and make it a 2oz pouch. Over a period of the first year, you CAN stretch it a little, but to no more than 8 oz. That's its stretch capabilities. It's why less sleevers gain back weight than bypass pts"

I sure hope this is true...

I just celebrated my 3 yr surgiversary in July. The last post I made above, 16 months ago, I was the fittest I'd been since the age of 15. Immediately after that my life went downhill and for the last 12 months it has been a nonstop **** show of trauma loss and devastation. Needless to say, I gained weight. As good as I look(ed) in the photo I use for my profile pic here, I was even then, still 35 lbs from goal. Now I'm 60 lbs from goal.

I did a lot of things wrong. Number one, I was a huge effing hypocrite and never got the mental health help that I told others to get. Number two, I focused on cardio instead of muscle building because I believed all the old wisdom from the 80's. Number three, I allowed starches sugar and white flour carbs back into my diet. Poison and as addictive as cocaine (seriously, they did a study on sugar vs cocaine).

So now I am battling regain, still holding out hope for goal acheivment.

sorry for the double post

it's not necessary to go back to liquids, and be hungry to get back on track.

follow the boot camp diet and this will going in the right direction:

The BASICS BOOTCAMP:

For 5 STRICT DAYS I will eat only...

Proteins: Seafoods, Poultry and eggs, Dairies, nuts/seeds including Peanut Butter.

Veggies: Green only.

Fruits: None.

Breads/Cereals/Other Carbs: None.

Fluids: One gallon of Water (128 oz.)

I just celebrated my 3 yr surgiversary in July. The last post I made above, 16 months ago, I was the fittest I'd been since the age of 15. Immediately after that my life went downhill and for the last 12 months it has been a nonstop **** show of trauma loss and devastation. Needless to say, I gained weight. As good as I look(ed) in the photo I use for my profile pic here, I was even then, still 35 lbs from goal. Now I'm 60 lbs from goal.

I did a lot of things wrong. Number one, I was a huge effing hypocrite and never got the mental health help that I told others to get. Number two, I focused on cardio instead of muscle building because I believed all the old wisdom from the 80's. Number three, I allowed starches sugar and white flour carbs back into my diet. Poison and as addictive as cocaine (seriously, they did a study on sugar vs cocaine).

So now I am battling regain, still holding out hope for goal acheivment.

How are you doing now, Globetrotter? It's been awhile since you posted this, but I'm just reading this thread today.