Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein And Constipation - Weight Gain

Hello,

I am 2.5 weeks post op and currently getting in anywhere from 45-65 grams of Protein...depending on the day :) I noticed on the days that I am in the 60-65 Protein range I tend to get constipated. I also noticed that the days when I only get about 45 grams of protein, I don't have this problem and after a couple of days of "low protein" I will lose about 2 to 4 lbs. When I am able to get in the 60-65 grams there is no weight loss.

Any ideas on whats going on?

Are you getting in the amount of Water you need?

Thanks for responding Liberated...

Yes, I drink maybe 40oz - 50 oz of plain Water (I DETEST plain water) and maybe another 32 to 48 oz of crystal light/tea EVERY DAY. So I am getting over 64 oz of liquids daily..So I think I am getting in my fluids.....

Drink q cup of coffee every morning! I eat about 60g of Protein a day & my morning cuppa Joe keeps me totally regular. I know there are a lot of other posters on here that report the same, although caffeine is a personal choice. My nut is ok w/ it. Give it a try! :)

Thanks Kate819! I forgot to mention I do drink about a cup and a half of JAMAICA ME CRAZY k-cup every morning. I gotta have my coffee! I am just not understanding the Constipation with so much liquid intake and the logic behind less Protein more weight loss for me so far....

Yea, constipations is a complete and utter pain in the a*se...pun intended. I too suffer from it and have done all my adult life. I am sure that high Protein + sleeve= no can poo!

I use benefibre in my Hot drinks - tea, coffee - and if I have a Protein shake I put it in there too... it really does help and it is gentle.

might be useful?

Unfotuntaley coffee doesn't have any effect on me...*sad face*!

Hello' date='

I am 2.5 weeks post op and currently getting in anywhere from 45-65 grams of Protein...depending on the day :) I noticed on the days that I am in the 60-65 Protein range I tend to get constipated. I also noticed that the days when I only get about 45 grams of protein, I don't have this problem and after a couple of days of "low protein" I will lose about 2 to 4 lbs. When I am able to get in the 60-65 grams there is no weight loss.

Any ideas on whats going on?[/quote']

Hey. I am preop are there anything you can suggest to do that will be helpful. Also what is your success so far.

Hey. I am preop are there anything you can suggest to do that will be helpful. Also what is your success so far.

I am still VERY much a work in progress and so new at being sleeved that I am not sure about suggestions. Everyone is so different. I can tell you even though I have lost about 19 pounds since the actual surgery on 4/2 and 26 pounds since the last week in March.....it is a process. To feel "emotionally" starved and not be able to see immediate results is something that I deal with. I probably consumed anywhere from 2000 to 3000 calories a day before surgery. Now I consume approx 500-600...you would think I would be 10 pounds by now! LOL! But I have to continually remind myself...it took me YEARS to get the weight on...it is going to take time to get it off. That is my saving grace....

not sure if this is what you were looking for...

Warning if TMI..

If you're constipated, you will weigh a bit more till you pass it. Weigh yourself right before you have a bm then weigh after..you should see a pound or 2 drop. I also retain Fluid when I'm constipated. Try Miralax, ,I've taken it before,,it has no flavor so I add it to coffee or whatever.

What about some fruit? Maybe And orange or

Grapefruit? Or some Fiber one Cereal?

What about some fruit? Maybe And orange or

Grapefruit? Or some Fiber one Cereal?

The Miralax and Fiber One cereal sound appealing. I may head out and pick up BOTH! Maybe I will try the baby prunes.....

to be continued....

OMB I've never had Constipation issues I had been losing 1-2 lbs daily and the past couple of days I haven't gone and haven't lost any weight ever since I've been getting my Protein in I haven't been able to go its driving me crazy and making me think I can't lose anymore weight but I'm only drinking two Protein Shakes a day and the rest Clear Liquids and broth WTF this is making me really frustrated HELPPP!!!!!!!!

That's the thing Krissy20.... I have always been the totally opposite.... NO LESS than 3 times a day before surgery. It seems the more Protein I take in, the more constipated and bloated I feel. I think there is definitely a correllation there! Lots of protein = Constipation and bloating! I have gone once in the last two days. NOT a good feeling! Like I said, Iam going to try the Miralax and the fiber and will post my results.....

The miralax will work, just be patient :) your body is adjusting to all this new stuff. Good luck!!

Keep in mind, miralax is just a stool softener not a laxative, give it a day or 2.