Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just for fun! Poll for TIM.

Pre-Op Diet, Did you follow the Dr.'s orders?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Pre-Op Diet, Did you follow the Dr.'s orders?

• Yes, I followed the diet exactly never faultering! My Dr. is brilliant.
    • OMG, who are you kidding? I did the best I could, but wasn't perfect.
    • And give up my last few weeks of food? pfffft right!
    • LOL. None of the above, I'll post below.

My Dr's rules were, dont gain any weight from his initial consultation to the last pre-surgery office visit. That would typically be 2 weeks out from the surgery date. I did gain 5 lbs, but since I didnt want to know what would happen, I joined the "soup train" lost 6 lbs before the pre-op office visit, I didnt have to do any diets. And I specifically asked at that visit, Do I need to do a pre surgery diet?"

I think its just dependant on the surgeon.

My doc only required one day of liquid diet before surgery.. is he brilliant or what? lol. BTW I had zero complications and healed fast. His theory is that you heal faster if you are nourished.

When I went in for my pre-op I has gained 6 lbs so now I am on liquids for 3 weeks and quit smoking at the same time. I have already lost 9 lbs and its only been 6 days! I don't want to drop weight that quick because I fear the my skin won't have time to catch up! Wish I could just be on liquids for one day but at this point I would settle for just one week!

My dr had a two week diet - but I was in Ecuador vacationing so could only follow it for one week. And I blew it most days! But not too bad and I still lost weight.

booda- there will be many times in the future you will plateau or stall. Weight loss initially is always rapid. I wouldn't worry too much now but if you are still losing this rapidly in a couple of months. I think the skin issue also depends on 1) original size 2) skin elasticity 3) age, and other things I am sure I don't understand.

After the initial consultation, I was told to do South Beach. About a week before surgery, I went back to Phase I South Beach. The dr. did seem concerned about losing lots of weight, just that I keep a food log and show that I'm compliant with the program.

Since South Beach is pretty much how I eat, I wasn't too upset. And I lost about 10 pounds from consultation until surgery. (Two months give or take.)

My doctor didn't require a pre-op diet, other than Clear Liquids and a bowel prep the day before surgery. I did have to have an ultrasound to be sure I didn't have an enlarged liver, though, so maybe that is why the diet wasn't an issue pre-op.

Dont gain more than 5 pounds and liquids the two days before surgery were all the rules I had.

Nana~

My only preop was nothing to eat after midnight the night before surgery. I had a really nice prime rib dinner at around 8pm, a glass of wine, and no complications. I agree with the others, it depends on the surgeon.

We were supposed to do 2 weeks of liquids before surgery, but we didn't do that. ;) we did all day liquids, and then south beach for dinner.

It seemed to have worked. :) No problems with surgery and I lost 18 and DW lost 10. :)

I've often wondered about the strict, lengthy liquid diets before and after surgery, specifically the people who have to be on clear liquids for a month after surgery. I don't see how they can heal if they aren't getting proper nutrition. I don't care how many Vitamins you take, there is no way you can have proper nutrition on a clear liquid diet with no Protein. I'm reading on these boards where there are doctors making people do a full month post-surgery and won't even let them have protein shakes! I would seriously question my surgeon if he had that kind of strict requirement. Of course, I haven't even had my initial consultation yet so I guess I'll find out soon! I have the same doc as Wavy so I'm hoping I have the same requirements! Hey, Wavy, how long was it from your initial consult to the surgery with Dr. B?

My diet consisted of low carb high Protein for a week and the last 2 days was all liquids! Even though my surgery was posponed for a day, I was on liquids for 3 days!! I was starving, so I had Tomato soup! :hungry: I thought that was such a treat!! The night before surgery I had to drink the "Roto-Rooter" drink which was NO fun!!:)

I had been thru' too much in this weight loss journey so when I did my pre-op I was pedantic................oh ok, I snuck a burger one night, hehehe, but the only night, my reasoning was my father had died of heart disease 18 months before, my mum two weeks after and I was so scared if I didn't follow the doctors rules that might be it for me....no more! Yes sounds drastic but that is how we were all feeling. For many of us it is a last chance surgery!

Was the best wake-up call and I can never thankz these people enough, the surgeons, nurses, your own family, and mostly the family who aren't there to encourage you ,'cos of serious losses!

Thank u all, I am here also to give amy small advice I can to anyone else!!!:)