Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can everyone please share if any, complications with the sleeve?

Well, looks as if there aren't too many complications! :) I'm freaking out too. I want this surgery soooo bad. I say this everyday! LOL The complications scare me to death! I'm going through with it anyway if I can every get everything lined out and get an appointment with the surgeon and a date!!!! I'm so ready.

I am very nervous as well. I thought I was pretty set on getting the sleeve, but after talking to some of my friends about it, I seem to be way more nervous and anxious about the whole thing than I was before I spoke to them. I know they were coming from a good place and are concerned for me, but now I'm just a bit more freaked out than I was before. I am still going to get it done though, because they don't know all my health concerns if I don't get it done. Today I had my first appointment with a cardiologist to get clearance. He took an EKG and everything looked fine. He still thought that I should get a stress test done and a sonogram of my heart so that my insurance company will get off my back about it all. I would love to hear other people's stories and complaints!!

If the friends you are talking to have not had any type of surgery they will probably not understand. I didn't even know what a sleeve was until one of my friends told me she had done it......I only asked for the info to research it, but immediately knew it was for me. If you have ever taken diet pills or crash dieted those side affects could be detrimental as well. At least with this you are under the care of a medical professional. I was sleeved on 4/9 and I read every post every article and I thought I was overly informed, I was wrong! I don't regret doing it at all, and I am glad the surgery is over and I am four days into my new life. If you have done research then you know the complications, you have to remember that is the worst that could happen! Don't go into this looking for the worst, you have to trust your surgeon and staff and yourself that you will be committed to doing what you have to do to alleviate risks. Good luck and if you decide this procedure is for you, this is an awesome support group.

I just got insurance approval!! I'm so excited to start my new healthier life.

Complications are different for everyone... myself I had a lot of vomiting and dehydration. Stay positive..

I would say my first 48 hours were HELL. I got up to walk with the nurse 6 hours after surgery and I dry-heaved and vomitted the entire time. The second time I walked was better but I went too far and when I got back I continued to vomit and dry heave endlessly. This lasted about 36 hours. I also had a hernia repaired and do not do well under anesthesia. I haven't had any other complications so I am very thankful for that. I will say everyday has become easier. I returned to work after 12 calendar days. My boss is a huge support and let me take half days this week. I think the thing I wasn't prepared for is how helpless I feel. I feel like I should be able to do

More than I can. I feel like I should be able to work an entire day and that is frustrating. It has also been an emotional week as I feel down for no apparent reason frequently. Overall I am doing pretty well though. I do not regret surgery. This surgery is giving me my life back! I am 2 weeks p-o today and am looking forward to the weight loss and healing that each day brings!

There is a section of the forum about complications - you can get a feel for what sort of problems that are possible. They are rare but do happen - I had an abscess and leak myself. Today, I would do it again. 6 months ago no way!

This is a major surgery don't fool yourself. I'm 1 year and 8 months out and I got a gallstone because of the VSG and I don't want to go there again so I'm trying to avoid to loose my gallbladder with pills.

My wife cousin made her VSG 1.5 month ago, she had a leak and went thought another surgery after a week, this time a open one. She got lung infection and she is in the ICU for the last two weeks, she is on a induced coma and breathing with a machine via a tracheotomy. This is the same guy that made my VSG, and he already did 500 of them.

So this is a very particularly decision. My advice is to follow your heart. If I would do it again? Maybe not, I bet she whouldn't.

As in any situation you will usually only hear about the bad things. For every person who has had complications there are hundreds that have had successes. It is a personal decision and only you can make it. I wish you the best of luck and if you'd like to talk offline I would be happy to.

I have decided not to get it. I was scheduled for tomorrow. Also, let's say that everything goes fine and there are no leaks with mine..they are still removing my body part that produces the most grehlin in the body which is responsible for memory. I dont want to hear years from now a study showing where alzheimers is typical in sleeve patients. Maybe i am exaggerating, but i am just gonna try to eat right and exercise. I do wish everyone else that is going through with this, much success and no complications.

I have decided not to get it. I was scheduled for tomorrow. Also' date=' let's say that everything goes fine and there are no leaks with mine..they are still removing my body part that produces the most grehlin in the body which is responsible for memory. I dont want to hear years from now a study showing where alzheimers is typical in sleeve patients. Maybe i am exaggerating, but i am just gonna try to eat right and exercise. I do wish everyone else that is going through with this, much success and no complications.[/quote']

Best of luck to you

I was sleeved on 4/4 and have not had one complication pain was minimal I did not even need it after day one. I have not had any gas problems. I did not have any health issues and my bmi was 40 I have lost 16lbs since surgery. from what I have read most people have had ok experiences too. I like the Protein Shakes and have always drank Water and not soda. I tried countless diets and got no.where due to low thyroid. this surgery may not be for everyone but the opportunity to live a full healthy life outweighed the risk I read about the surgery. even though I did not have health risks I knew they were coming

I have decided not to get it. I was scheduled for tomorrow. Also, let's say that everything goes fine and there are no leaks with mine..they are still removing my body part that produces the most grehlin in the body which is responsible for memory. I dont want to hear years from now a study showing where alzheimers is typical in sleeve patients. Maybe i am exaggerating, but i am just gonna try to eat right and exercise. I do wish everyone else that is going through with this, much success and no complications.

This was a hard point for me as well, (the tie in with memory and learning) as I have a job where I have to be on my toes about details and because I am also taking college courses. However, I also read articles about the possibility of a connection with obesity/diabetes and Alzheimer's. The article involved GB patients not VSG but it sounds to me that there is a Alzheimers risk if I don't have the surgery and cannot lose weight.

My mother and her twin sister are both insulin dependent Type II diabetes and have similar weight struggles to me. I am having this surgery because I know that the same is right around the corner if something doesn't happen. It seems like there is an increased risk of Alzheimers if I continue to be obese and develop the inevitable diabetes. That doesn't mean I don't rethink my decision at times. Each of us has to read and research and make our personal decision (and cross our fingers). Good luck to you.

Article about Obesity and Type 2 diabetes increasing the chance of getting Alzheimer's disease.

I don't know if I'm getting older or was the VSG with the grelin issue, or a lack of some kind of Vitamin, or even if I did not pay attention before but after the VSG I think my memory decreased. Or not?

The fact is obesity is always more dangerous that the problems that the VSG will cause. My point is that the surgery is the great risk in this process and not everybody want to take that risk.