Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Months Post Op And Only 45Lbs Down.

I'm really starting to get frustrated with my weight loss progress. I know there is a such thing as a "slow loser" but my surgeon seems to think that I should be at about 60lbs down this far out. I really hope I have not plateaued. I don't eat breads, pastas, rice, or potatoes. Should I go back to Protein Drinks only for a while? Any suggestions would be helpful.

I am 11 weeks and five days out and my start weight was 240 and today I am 204. I at first thought I would be a slow looser because I have PCOS and loosing weight has always been an issue. The one thing that really has helped me in the past before surgery was exercise. I really have had my ups and downs with exercise and do have back issues that haven’t help me . I just got back from taking my family to Disney World and I lost seven pounds on that trip and I know why, I walked , walked and walked some more. This is just another example to me on how much exercise does help me with my weight loss.

I also told myself going in to not compare myself with others and to be patient with myself. I really don’t think your doctor should be telling you where YOU Should Be with your weight loss ,we are all very different in our journey. Don’t beat yourself up, be kind to you and believe me I know how hard that is to do. We are on a life long journey and we will get to our happy place in our time.

I am two months and about two weeks out and I have lost 38 pounds so we are about the same. I am VERY happy with my loss. I have disposed of 2-30-gallon garbage bags worth of too-big-for-me-now clothes and am now wearing formerly-too-small-for-me clothes plus some updated new stuff. My strength is going back in time to where it was when I was in my 30's, (I am 63). My resting heart rate has dropped 30 beats per minute, a sure sign that I am making my heart happy. At my two month follow up the doc was pleased with my progress and my labs.

With the Water I am drinking, the exercise I am doing, and with the diligence in which I follow eating guidelines it is inevitable that I will reach my goal and beyond if it seems appropriate.

I am one of those people that weighs themselves every day. The thing is, I don't care if I get a stall. Why? Because I know it will start down again. I know that my workouts put muscle on which weighs more than the fat it is displacing. However, it takes up less space which makes me look mighty good according to my wife. B)

You have a powerful tool in the sleeve. Don't get discouraged, follow your guidelines and it will work for you as you work for yourself.

45 lbs in 3 months is awesome. I'm 4 months out and I'm down 50 lbs and I am so happy. We all are different and you are doing a great job. Please hang in there.

I'm not where I want to be but thank GOD I'm not where I used to be.

I HATE it when someone puts the word "only" in front of their weight loss. It's one of my pet peeves. You're diminishing your own accomplishment by doing that. You HAVE lost 45 pounds in 3 months! That's wonderful! By putting only in front of that weight loss, you make it sound trivial and unimportant...and it's NOT trivial; it IS important! That's 45 pounds of ugly, nasty, unhealthy fat to which you have said Goodbye forever! It's 45 pounds of possible heart-attacks, diabetes, asthma and stroke that you have flushed down the drain or burned into oblivion.

You are now 45 pounds healthier, 45 pounds slimmer, 45 pounds closer to goal...and in ONLY 3 months! How fast could you lose 45 pounds before? At two pounds a week, you'd have needed more than 5 months of absolute diligence and compliance with a diet and exercise program...if you could stick to it that long. I had a terrible time with that before surgery and I think most of us had a tough time. Plus, pre-op, you'd be guaranteed to gain it all back. That 45 pounds you've lost is NOT coming back. It got lost and is going to stay lost!

Good luck, but please don't say "only". You have done an amazing job with your tool! Keep rocking that sleeve! :)

The mystery here is why the surgeon came up with 60 pounds in three months and why that was more on target than 45. That is a difference of an average of 0.5 pounds a day as opposed to 0.666 pounds a day. 0.16 is not a big amount. At my two week my doc expressed concern that I was losing too fast. I would like to know the context and the reasoning why the doc laid this on his patient.

If I could have averaged a half a pound a day loss in my pre-sleeve days I woulda bragged myself silly.

Yeah, I think the problem is in your surgeon's expectations. How do you feel? Do you feel healthier? Do you have more energy? Have your eating habits improved? Are your blood tests coming back with positive results?? I think those are the things to look at. My surgeon is a BIG proponent of NOT looking at the scale for results, but rather your overall health.

Here's a little story my boss was telling me the other day and I think its pretty profound, in a very simple way. So you think you have 'only' lost 45 lbs right? Here's a little reality check that will be sure to help you realize how much that actually is. Next time you go to the gym, stack 45 lbs of weights on the floor. Now pick them up, carry them across the room and back. Now, put the weights down and walk across the room and back without them. Take notice of how much easier it is. THAT is what you have taken off your bones, your heart, and everything on your body. THAT is a HUGE DEAL girly!! YOU have done that with your own will power and strength. Try not to minimize it. You have done SUCH good for your body, regardless of what your surgeon says. Keep at it and more will come when your body is ready to lose it.