Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nausea, Nausea, Nausea

Hi everyone, I have a tough situation at hand and am hoping someone may have the answer. For the last four days or so, I'm having the worst time with nausea, moodiness, and weeping. I'm quite certain it's the low-dose oral birth control my gyno started me on (for PCOS), but I've been on birth control in the past and never had it hit me like this. Could the sleeve be changing how I'm metabolizing it?

So here are the basics: I'm getting in 585-675 calories per day, 70g+ of Protein (most days still above 80), anywhere from 35-45g carbs. I'm dealing with hemorrhoids for the past two weeks, so I get in what Fiber I can from Benefiber, veggies, flax seed. I don't drink milk, I'm steering clear of cheese at this time - my only dairy is greek yogurt and cottage cheese (which I've tolerated fine in the past). The easiest thing for me to keep down is shrimp, sometimes chicken or tofu. But I'm getting sick of eating them. I get in 56-64 of fluids per day, pushing through the nausea when I can. Before this all started, I was getting in 80-96. Despite the doctor's orders, I'm still getting 30-45 of walking in every day or every other day (it irritates the hemorrhoids) - and since I'm getting knee injections, I can't exercise for 48 hours.

I feel like I'm sick all the time, get the dry heaves even just drinking Water or tea. Yes, I've tried all kinds of herbal and Decaf teas -- nothing helps. The main coincidence is starting the pill....

Anyone?

Have you asked your doc about anti nausea meds? Sometimes I get the nausea feeling at night bc I feel like I ate/drank too much throughout the day even though Im only at like 500 calories....but I take ondansetron disintegrating tablets and it knocks it right out within 15 minutes. Maybe that would be an option to talk to your doc about?

I have anti nausea meds but they can cause Constipation -- which I'm desperately steering clear of right now with the 'roids. Hence all the fiber, which is really only 12-15g per day. A normal person would be trying to get in 25g or more. It's just odd that for the first 4-5 weeks after surgery I was fine, doing great even just last weekend. My energy was great, I was eating 3x per day plus a shake or two, plenty of fluids no problem, sleeping well. Then come Sunday night, I start the pill pack and Monday - nausea. Tuesday, worse. Yesterday, unbearable and today was just miserable....the past two nights I'm awake at 4:30am and lying there until 6am. My therapist even told me today it was like I'd done a complete "180" since she saw me last week. And my husband is begging me to stop taking the pills because he is so worried about me!! The weird thing for me is the nausea is worst in the morning and better by evening... and I take the pill right before bedtime.

Could the sleeve be changing how I'm metabolizing it?

Hi Emlefe, my dr. told me to go off of the pill because it doesn't metabolize correctly in our sleeved systems...so it may have something to do with that!

It was the pill! My gyno listened to me today and said absolutely it had to the pill so she told me not to take it anymore. Here's hoping to tomorrow being a new day!!

This is the first I've read about this!! Is this true for BC in general? Or for newer users of BC pills? Does it have anything to do for sure with being sleeved?

BC can cause symtoms similar to early pregnancy, so sleeplessness & nausea would definitely be common symptoms, as well as moodiness, since they are changing your hormones & initially kind of tricking your body into thinking it's pregnant. With an increased metobolic rate I can imagine it would be something of a nightmare!

Has your Dr discussed any other options you may have?

Hope you feel great tomorrow!!!

Neither my VSG surgeon nor my gyno seemed to think the sleeve was causing the reaction to the birth control. I've tried it in the past and it didn't treat me well then either, same symptoms. I just seem to be very sensitive to changes in hormones. My gyno has agreed to monitor my ovarian cyst via ultrasound every couple of weeks for now. I'm not crazy about shots, IUDs, or anything like that. My sister and sister-in-law are both naturopathic doctors and are not fans of birth control at all with the exception of some medical conditions that need it.

I stopped the pill almost as soon as I wrote this post and have gone back to feeling much better and more like myself. And the stall seems to have broken!! YAY!

Just throwing it out there - I've had the Mirena IUD for almost 3 yrs & LOVE it! It releases centralized hormones to the cervix only so no weight gain, crazies, or skin issues. I had the worst time with BC. Totally could not take any of them w/o turning into a psycho & packing on the lbs, but this hasn't caused any side effects at all. Oh, except one: I don't get my period anymore! Whoohooo!!!

Just throwing it out there - I've had the Mirena IUD for almost 3 yrs & LOVE it! It releases centralized hormones to the cervix only so no weight gain' date=' crazies, or skin issues. I had the worst time with BC. Totally could not take any of them w/o turning into a psycho & packing on the lbs, but this hasn't caused any side effects at all. Oh, except one: I don't get my period anymore! Whoohooo!!![/quote']

Do u already have to have a child for mirena?