Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Is Such A Pain!

This is my first time posting here but I have browsed this forum SEVERAL times when I had questions so I am very grateful to everyone for being so open and honest about their experiences.

I am 5 weeks post-op as of today and I am STILL having trouble getting in my 70 - 80g of Protein. I have tried different powders, different shake recipes, I can't do it! My stomach feels SO full with it, maybe I am just trying to drink it too fast. How long does it normally take you to drink 8oz of milk mixed with Protein powder?

I've seen some people post about Isopure, some good some bad, but at this point I am willing to try anything. I've been doing really well with the surgery, I've lost 44 pounds, but I know I need to get in my full amount of Protein.< /p>

Do you have any tips or sugesstions? Should I just try and drink the shakes slower? I hate the taste of protein, I really wish it was available in pill form. I would gladly take 10 small protein pills per day if it meant not having to drink 2 shakes. Yuck!! Anyone out there like Isopure?

Also, while I'm here, I am TERRIFIED of stretching my stomach. I don't eat very much and I make sure to eat slow and stop when I'm full, but I'm always worried that my bites are too big or something. I may just be paranoid. I love this sleeve and I'm so glad I got the surgery, it is just going to take more time to get used to I guess. :)

have you tried the 3 oz Protein shots? the Atkins Protein Bars? the greek yogurt? I'm about 5 weeks post op as well and I still haven't used any form of Protein Powder or even a blender and I'm tracking my Protein and everything else with myfitnesspal. The shakes I use are awesome and taste great. Maybe you want to try some other kinds. Below is a picture of the kind I'm using and I still love them after 3 months of drinking them

http://www.contoursoftheearth.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/pure-protein-shake-cookies-creme-e1313198653500.jpg

First of all, don't be too afraid of stretching your stomach. It will eventually stretch some so instead of worrying about it, learn the proper foods to eat and stick with it. You've made a big investment in your life and that's the way to live long with it.

As far as Protein, it was 6-7 weeks before I succeeded at getting all my Protein via food. I looked for the highest protein per oz of foods I could, things like scallops, lobster, shrimp and eventually beef Jerky. Luckily, I love seafood. I went for 3-5 smaller meals per day just to get the protein. Protein shakes were pretty good for a while but eventually you have to move to more solid food.

Good luck and don't be a stranger here. Nobody judges here.

I drink Premier Protein shakes from costco and pour them over ice to make them really cold. I also really like the Syntrax nectar Cappucinno over ice and, to me, it tastes just like an iced coffee. Most of the nectar products don't have a Protein aftertaste. Also, Power Crunch bars taste just like a cookie....they are wafers so they are light and crispy.

You really have to try several different products until you find what you like. Everyone has such different taste preferences so what I think is really good, you may not. A lot of bariatric sites (i.e. Bariatric Pantry) offer sample packs so that you can try various products. I've also learned that I do best when I stick to one particular Protein Drink and bar because then I become used to the taste which helps me stick with it.

Good Luck and don't give up on finding something you like!!!

Haven't had surgery yet, but I love the EAS whey Protein Shakes. I add one teaspoon of low fat Peanut Butter, delicious, and its full of Protein, skim milk and ice. I can't taste the protein. 2 scoops is 46grams, and then 8 grams from the peanut butter pretty much low cal. Just delicious. Carbs are low on the peanut butter and protien powder. I add some cocoa to it to make it more chocolaty, the real cocoa(low carb, low cal), not already made ones. Getting myself ready to drink fluids and protein shakes.< /p>

First of all, your stomach will let you know if your bites are too big.

Secondly, try some premade shakes - the premiere Protein Shakes are divine. I haven't tired of them at all - the chocolate ones are great and I'm not a chocolate fan unless its covering Peanut Butter.

The vanilla ones are great too - and you can flavor them any way you want with some sugar free syrups.

I drink one Protein Shake a day, that's 30g of Protein - first thing in the morning when I wake up - its 11 oz and takes me about 30-45 minutes to finish it. I take my time.

I agree that the Syntrex nectar products are really good. They are way better than Isopure. Go to the food secion under Protein powders and look for the thread on where to order samples. You can get samples of all the flavors for a really good price.

I also agree that if you have a costco, the Premeire are really good. They are not thick, so they are easy to drink. They have 30 grams of Protein. It's aroudn $22 for a case of 18.

Someone else who's been sleeved and knows a bit more than I regarding this can chime in...BUT, in my search for Vitamins and what not to take after surgery, I did come across a Protein in pill form. I was definitely going to ask about it at my appointment on this coming Monday.

Anyone know with certain?

Hi! I'm 5 weeks out also. Op date was 1/17/12. So, I put Beneprotein in everything. I even add a scoop or two to the Premier Protein shakes that I get at costco, and to greek yogurt. I figure if I have one Premier Protein shake with two scoops of Beneprotien and 4-8oz of soy milk (I just think the shakes are a little too sweet, but they are good), that is 42-46g of Protein right there (I drink this in two different settings throughout the day. Then have one Chobani Greek Yogurt (and yes, I am having the ones with fruit in them) with one scoop of Beneprotein, that is 20g. Right there is 62-66g of protein. I have this just about every day. If I have a cup of Soup, I'll put Beneprotein in that also. My goal is to get at the very least 60g of protein in each day and any more is great. I'll usually also have 4-6 oz of some custard tofu - I get it from an asian market. It is like super silken tofu, 100% tofu/soy Beans. I heat that up and pour a ginger Syrup over it. That is additional protein.

I might have to give the Syntrex nectar products a try. Thanks.

Thank you all so much, these replies were incredibly helpful and supportive! I love seafood too so I eat a lot of shrimp, crab, and tuna.

I think I'm just going to have to try different things until I find what works for me. I actually have some of the Premiere Protein shakes from costco and they are the only things I can tolerate. It still takes me a long time to drink them. It's crazy to think that not that long ago I could drink a whole 20oz soda in a few minutes and now I have trouble finishing an 11oz Protein shake. I think I will give those Isopure drinks a try. If they don't work then I'll stick with the Premiere shakes. Hopefully, eventually, I can work my Protein in with solid food and not have to rely on the supplements.

I found some great recipes too! I love this forum!

CAsleeve - That's so cool! You were sleeved one day before me!

This was so helpful to me! When I drank Isopure before surgery, I didn't mind the taste. After surgery, I hated it and could only drink 1-2 ozs. at a time. Well, tonight I opened one and drank half of it. I'll save the rest for tomorrow.....they are just so dang sweet. I'm encouraged that I'll start picking up my Protein intake. Thanks again for everyone's advice here.

[quote name="Lisa :)]I drink Premier Protein shakes from costco and pour them over ice to make them really cold. I also really like the Syntrax nectar Cappucinno over ice and' date=' to me, it tastes just like an iced coffee. Most of the nectar products don't have a Protein aftertaste. Also, Power Crunch bars taste just like a cookie....they are wafers so they are light and crispy.

You really have to try several different products until you find what you like. Everyone has such different taste preferences so what I think is really good, you may not. A lot of bariatric sites (i.e. Bariatric Pantry) offer sample packs so that you can try various products. I've also learned that I do best when I stick to one particular Protein Drink and bar because then I become used to the taste which helps me stick with it.

Good Luck and don't give up on finding something you like!!![/quote']

I agree with you the Protein Shakes from costco taste really good. I'm still on liquids and super, super soft mushy foods. I will have to check out the Nector products (hope we carry those in my area). Thanks for the info! :)

Thank you everyone for your info. As I am barely 2 1/2 weeks post op and I'm really having a hard time finding drinks that taste good. I bought some that were called 'Oh Yeah' I thought the Cookies and cream one would be good but, wow, it is gross! The strawberries and cream one was a bit better but not by much. Gonna try and mix them with other things like Greek yogurt and Protein Shake from costco to make them drinkable.

Also I bought some of the 'new whey' Protein shots...I don't know about any of you but I think I would probably puke if I had 3 sips of it. I've only tasted the fruit punch one. Gonna return the other 3 flavors...

Anyhow, thank you for the info guys! If you have any other suggestions and info it IS grately appreciated.