Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Day 3 And Having A Hard Time Getting Fluids In! Help!

I was sleeved 2/8. The surgery went well and I was released Friday morning! Now that I am home I can't seem to get all this Fluid in and I am required to drink and entire Isopure. Any advice ? I don't want to get dehydrated and have to go back to the hospital!

Sip, sip, sip, sip all day long. It is really hard to get in our fluids, but it is very important. You can do it. Just keep taking sips constantly. It is a pain in the butt but going to the hospital is an even bigger pain. it does get better. ;)

I was sleeved 2/8. The surgery went well and I was released Friday morning! Now that I am home I can't seem to get all this Fluid in and I am required to drink and entire Isopure. Any advice ? I don't want to get dehydrated and have to go back to the hospital!

:welcome: Oh my dear Nate, you are still a virgin. At this early stage of your surgery you and your stomach have a lot to get used to.

Your stomach is recovering from that mean stuff you did to. Like everyone always said - drink slowly for now - if you can't keep Protein shakes down, mainly drink Water, because you need to stay dehydrated. Sip, sip , sip - everything slowly.

You have started a new journey, and it will be great.

kathy

:smile1:

I am 3 weeks post op and I am speaking from experience. Ten days after surgery I did end up back in the hosp. You need to sip, sip and sip. Popsicles, broth, crystal light are good beginners. I cant tolerate Protein Drinks. My doctor allows me to drink skim milk with sugar free choc in it. It is a pain to go back to the hosp. Good Luck

i was sleeved on Monday, i am still drinking out of medicine cup 1 ounce every 5 to 6 minutes....it takes some time to get all the fluids in but its goes down well that way

I ended up getting a 20ml syringe and putting water/tea in it and trained myself to SIP that way, it was really hard for me to get used to sippng since I've been a Water guzzler till now.

Good Luck

Natemate......first off congratulations on your surgery and the start of your new life. I had the same problem the first week or so. I know that I was not getting enough fluids but I just kept sipping and sipping. If you are sitting around time yourself on your watch or clock and take a drink every 5 minutes or whatever you think that your new stomach can handle. I know that you are busy doing other things and time goes by so very fast when not paying attention. Soon you will be getting all of your fluids.

I remember the day after surgery when they brought me in ice chips, some juice etc. I think I maybe got through half of the ice chips in the small glass and the rest of the juice etc went down the drain as I never got to them.

Day at a time.....steady ahead and you will be on the road to success....

Yes, focus on the liquids. I had difficulty with Water, but when I diluted it with G2 gatorade, it went down really good. ;)

Dont worry , I know its hard right about now, you might even question yourselve for getting sleeved, I know its not a good feeling not being able to drink much, but as your sleeve heals you should be able to drink more and more. It will get better soon.

Don't panic!!! I had the same problem after my surgery. I was sleeved on April 1, 2011. I called my surgeon frantic that I couldn't get much down and he said not to worry. Your opening to your stomach is suddenly smaller and it takes time to adjust. Your opening will "loosen" up and you will be able to take in more and more. I found that thinner liquids worked better than shakes at first. Hang in!!!!