Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For me, it was right after I got my approval. I guess knowing that the surgery had been approved made it "real" and caused me to go into food funeral mode. In my case, I gained 10 lbs and got a right good talking to by the surgeon. By my surgery date, I'd gotten those 10lbs. back off, but I can't help but think how much further along I'd be if I hadn't indulged. Also, now that I'm almost 4 months out and can eat pretty much anything, I feel a bit foolish about it because I haven't really had to say "goodbye" to anything I really like.

Don't feel bad and as much as I hate to admit it, I gained nearly 40# in about a 5 1/2 month period. I wasn't even approved yet, but after I checked to see that I met the conditions of my insurance, I remember sitting at this board reading and reading, doing my research, but all the while scarfing down all the stuff that was my comfort food. blush2.gif It embarrasses me to even admit that here. I'm guessing I'm not the only one who has done that though.

Yes, how stupid of me to be on a board for WLS and there I was eating and eating like food was going out of style. It wasn't that I was afraid I couldn't eat it later, but just that I wanted to indulge because I could and I was gonna have that surgery so what the heck, it would come off then.

So, then once I decided on what surgery I was going to have, then I started the approval process. I didn't have to do the supervised diet or even any liquid diet before surgery- just the standard 12 hrs before surgery thing.

So, yeah I went WAYYYY bannanas and yes I might even be at or much closer to my goal. But, to be honest, I don't have that many regrets. Not saying I recommend it, cuz it's not healthy and there are many other reasons. I guess what I'm saying is that what you are going through is normal and just do your best to contain it if you can. Things will work out though.

I had my "last meal" but not a food funeral. I didn't want to risk gaining weight before I saw my surgeon for my final pre-op.

I also had food funerals after being approved. I was a volume eater and had no desire to be hungry and tortured by dieting. I was selective though. I ate some junk foods but mostly went to nice restaurants. I gained 4 pounds and have no regrets whatsoever! We are all different. I knew I was going to fully commit and have no regrets, so I did it.

I didn't have a pre-op diet either, thank GOD! Do what is best for you. Only you know yourself well.

I had a "last meal" too, and for the weeks leading up to surgery I ate sensibly but also enjoyed some of the foods I knew I wouldn't be able to have for a few months (steak, salads, etc.).

Don't get too hung up on the concept of a 'food funeral' or saying goodbye forever to certain things, though. One thing I've realized already at 4 months out is that there is really nothing that is completely off-limits. I know from my pre-surgery eating habits and yo-yo dieting that if I really, really want to try something or have a craving for something, I'm better off allowing myself a small treat/taste of it rather than completely abstaining and then making a bad decision later on. I've allowed myself tastes of sweets, carbs, etc. without overdoing it (like I would have pre-surgery).

I hit 4 or 5 of my favorite restaurants one last time starting about two weeks before my two week pre-op diet. It was good for me to do.

Since I was in the process for over a year,,I had many food funerals. And then I would diet to make up for it,,back and forth I did this and it was so unhealthy. In the end I was just a few pounds up from my original weigh in but still,,I could've really blown it. I would not recommend alot of last suppers. Maybe plan 3 nice dinners where you don't really limit yourself..but be very careful the rest of the time. Just a suggestion but you don't want to have to lose even more weight after you are sleeved..or risk getting surgery cancelled because they think you aren't trying. I was freaking out the last week before my last clinical with the surgeon. I didn't want him to see me a ton heavier than when I began.

Like PdxMan, I went out to a couple of my favorite restaurants the weekend before my two week Pre-Op Diet. I did not want to gain any weight before surgery. I stuck to the rules pre-op and have been complication free! No nasuea or anything, recovered quickly.

I had my food funerals for 2 weeks. I was selective in what I ate but over those two week periods, I ate what I wanted. I don't think that I gained but maybe 1-2 lbs but I lost it when I went on all liquids.< /p>

I hit 4 or 5 of my favorite restaurants one last time starting about two weeks before my two week pre-op diet. It was good for me to do.

I am on day 1 of liquid diet and this is basically what I did too, with a last night at Tucanos, a brazilian grilled meat type restaurant, so even that while I ate a bit more than I should it was low carb -- all meat and cheese except two tiny cheese bread ball things.

I avoided the food funerals like the plague. About a year ago, I knew I was going up alot, and every Sunday I would say on Monday I will start a diet; then I would order pizza, too much pizza, and I wouldn't start the diet cause I had so much pizza left over. I did this for months. I know I gained a lot of weight, my scale wouldn't even weigh me. I just had no self control back then, and was afraid of repeating my past mistakes. But everyone is different, I just knew that food funerals were not good for me.

i'm so ashamed. When i found out about WLS, i was so excited that i unfortunately went on a binge for about 6 weeks sad.pngi couldn't stop.

My dr. never required a pre-op diet, since i went so overboard i gained 15 lbs.sad_smile.gif

The only exercise i got was lifting right hand to mouth. There's nothing i can do now. After all this waiting for my WLS, tomorrow is finally the day.

Now i have to take that nasty 15lbs,lose that, and start from there. What's done is done, right, It could have been worse, i could have gained 16lbscheated.gif

kathy

DOS 12/15/11

oh well - can't cry over spilled foodcryin.gif

I'm going through this right now. Since my BMI is on the low side, I only have to do the three days of liquids, nothing else. The surgeon said not to worry if I gain weight before my surgery, which is, yikes, three weeks away! I've been eating a ton, and not all stuff I like, just eating to eat. Not good. It reminds me of why I NEED the sleeve.