Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling - What Have I Done?

This is my first post. I was sleeved on 8/25 in Mexicali, Mexico. As I type I am weeping over what have I done to myself? For someone that was overweight, I was in really good health. Really good. No HB, sleep apnea or anything.

I am miserable. I hurt, I am tired, my kidneys hurt, I am constantly thirsty and though I am not physically hungry, it is soooo hard to make meals for the family. I went for a short tripto the grocery store with my daughter yesterday to pick up "full liquids" that started today and I was completely exhausted.

The incision above my belly button is all healed closed, but is so sore! It feels like it is tacked down to something inside and pulls. It's also hard. My drain hole is still open and oozes after a shower. I keep gauze over it Amd it's also sore if I press on it. It is also a bit pink around the edges but not warm to the touch. I am not running a fever or anything.

I start with my Water at 4:30am and sip all day long. I get about 84oz of Water a day, but an still constantly thirsty. Nothing at all tastes or smells good. I bought all these different flavors of crystal light and the all taste terrible. Every sip I take stays in my esophagus for a while.

I am scared my insurance will deny covering me as I didn't get the proceedure through them? It's Kaiser and I know they do the sleeve, but I didn't want to jump through their hoops. My hubby assures my they can't do that. It would be like having plastic surgery done and God Forbid a

complication arose they would deny me.

I've only dropped 6lbs since my surgery and and feeling I made the worst decision of my life. PLEASE tell me everything will be alright and things will get better.

I sorry I such a bummer!! I am scared and sad.

All these things you are experiencing are normal. By the end of the first month you will feel like a new person! Every day will get better and easier. I promise! You may have been in good health before surgery, but the weight drags you down over the years.. the knees, the liver and heart... it gets damaged from all that weight. You made a great decision, and later in life you will not have to have the years of suffering and early death.... a small price to pay for that!

Hang in there, the first few weeks can be rough but things will start getting easier every day!

Even though I just posted that I am so frustrated that I want to cry, it will get better. I was sleeved in Mexicali on 8/16 and had no co-morbidities. I'm having a whole different drama right now, but I remember a few days ago being where you are.

My stomach incision is almost closed, but it was the only one that had light bruising. It is hard and pink and sore but it is healing up. My drain incision wept Fluid for 10-12 days. It still has a pretty deep scab over it but I am no longer wearing any dressings. It too was pink around the edges but never hot to the touch.

I think in my posts it felt like on day 4 I had a turn around for the better, but I am still tired a lot. I also happened to get a head cold this week so that isn't helping. For me I have had a lot of mental/emotional ups and downs. Physically I have had a great recovery considering I had most of my stomach removed. Mentally/emotionally I can have good days and bad days or even good hours and bad hours. It is a huge adjustment.

If you have a complication, you will get treatment regardless of where you had the surgery done. The worst that will happen will be you have to deal with some judgmental people at a time when you really just want to be helped. You can always say that you had your surgery "out of state" if people really want to know. There are many people that have their surgery in the USA that have medical issues afterwards that are completely unrelated to their surgery. I had my gall bladder removed years ago and no one blames THAT surgery for any issues that I bring to a doctor today. It should be the same for your WLS.

You may be dehydrated but you are getting in a lot of fluids. I'll give you the advice that I'm not following at the moment: Take a deep breath and find something else to focus on for a little while. It will probably help a whole lot.

Hugs and good luck,

HDub

I was utterly miserable the first 2 weeks after surgery. I went back to work on day 12 and thought I must have lost my mind to have thought I could go back to work so soon when I was so tired, and so sore. By the end of the 3rd week, the transformation began. food tasted good again, I was finally able to quench my thirst, and almost all of my pain was completely gone. I still had some pain and pulling in my left side until my 4th week. I promise, you are not the first person to post that you are feeling miserable a week out. It really does get much MUCH better! Just rest all you can, pile up in your bed and tell everyone to fend for themselves if you must! Make sure you are getting up and walking as much as you can, but just walking. It was so hot here in Texas this summer, that I literally took walks up and down my hallway, 10 minute walk every hour. I had my surgery July 14th, and I feel SPECTACULAR now!! I'm amazed, because I was sooooo very miserable. It will get soooo much better, and you will be typing this same thing out for someone else in the future!

*hugs* I had my sleeve done in Mexicali on 8/12. I'm 23 and never had to deal with any comorbities either. At 3 weeks post-op, I still feel like I made a mistake by permanently altering my body. I try to remind myself why I opted to have this surgery.

We're healthy now, but for how long? Half my family is obese and they suffer with hypertension, diabetes, and joint problems from carrying so much weight. I'd like to dodge that bullet. No matter how much I tried to monitor what I ate, I still gained roughly 10 lbs a year from slipping and indulging a little bit here and there. I wanted to nip this problem in the bud; at the rate I was going, I was destined to weigh hundreds of pounds more and almost certainly have hypertension and/or diabetes.

At my highest weight of 225 lbs, I tired easily from walking too much or standing too long. I used to sweat at the drop of a hat. In college I barely fit into those tiny lecture hall seats, and couldn't get those little flip-over tables to fit over my lap. I had to cross my legs with my notebook on my knee to "comfortably" take notes. Most of the time I was the fattest person (or at least the fattest female) in the room/class.

People here often say the first month/few weeks are the hardest, and that things will get better once we can comfortably eat normal foods. We had major surgery and need time to heal. We're just experiencing some buyer's remorse at the moment :)

I was sleeved on 8/26. I too am having buyers remorse. My biggest worry is the long term affect of the sleeve. I am also angry at myself for altering my body. I'm hoping things get better. Hugs to all of you.

Hi,

I'm with Kaiser Fremont and I the receptionist told me Kaiser will accept you into the bariatric program even if you had your surgery somewhere else. Give them a call or get a referral from your primary care doctor.

Even if you have already had your surgery and you are healing well, the Kaiser Bariatric program has a lot to offer. Each Kaiser Bariatric program is a little different, but at the Kaiser Fremont one, we have post op appts at 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 1 yr, and then annually. Extensive lab work is done and checked at the 6 month appt. And there are nutritionists, psychologists, and a medical doctor familiar with bariatric issues available as needed.

As for regrets, I agree with other posters; time will help. The first weeks are the roughest.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and rapid weight loss!

Lynda

I still have buyer's remorse about 1 day every other week. I'm over 5 months out. But let me assure you that if you stay hydrated and follow the basic rules, the initial window will pass and it does get better. Much better.

Here's the thing for me. Yes, 1 out of 14 days I am not all that into this. I get sick of all the rules. I long for the freedom of the old days. But while I had no other health issues, my knees are absolutely shot. So I had to have this done and I had to lose weight. So one way or another in life, I was going to have regrets. It's just fact. So in spite of that occasional regret, it's still my" regret of choice". I can life with being pro-active and maybe not perfect a lot easier than having sat back and just lived a life riding the couch, fat and waiting to die.

Be proud you took control It does get better. You might never be 100% regret free but in not too long of a time, you will be able to see it was the better choice to a life fighting obseity without this tool.

I'm not trying to make light of your concerns but there are many people who have lost their whole stomach to stomach cancer and go on to live ful, longl and healthy lives. We have only giving up a part of ours so we should also be able to live full and healthy lives. At least that was my hope when I decided to have this surgery. Remember, this is not experimental surgery. Thousands have had this done, have gone on to lose much of their excess weight, and have no regrets. Good luck:)

I'm not trying to make light of your concerns but....

Yeah, ya kinda are!

This was my first post, I am less than two weeks post-op, I am scared, I am sad, I have concerns and you post on here comparing apple to oranges- stomach cancer vs. VSG?

I am sorry, but someone needs to change the wheels on your "welcome wagon."

This is my first post. I was sleeved on 8/25 in Mexicali, Mexico. As I type I am weeping over what have I done to myself? For someone that was overweight, I was in really good health. Really good. No HB, sleep apnea or anything.

I am miserable. I hurt, I am tired, my kidneys hurt, I am constantly thirsty and though I am not physically hungry, it is soooo hard to make meals for the family. I went for a short tripto the grocery store with my daughter yesterday to pick up "full liquids" that started today and I was completely exhausted.

The incision above my belly button is all healed closed, but is so sore! It feels like it is tacked down to something inside and pulls. It's also hard. My drain hole is still open and oozes after a shower. I keep gauze over it Amd it's also sore if I press on it. It is also a bit pink around the edges but not warm to the touch. I am not running a fever or anything.

I start with my Water at 4:30am and sip all day long. I get about 84oz of Water a day, but an still constantly thirsty. Nothing at all tastes or smells good. I bought all these different flavors of crystal light and the all taste terrible. Every sip I take stays in my esophagus for a while.

I am scared my insurance will deny covering me as I didn't get the proceedure through them? It's Kaiser and I know they do the sleeve, but I didn't want to jump through their hoops. My hubby assures my they can't do that. It would be like having plastic surgery done and God Forbid a

complication arose they would deny me.

I've only dropped 6lbs since my surgery and and feeling I made the worst decision of my life. PLEASE tell me everything will be alright and things will get better.

I sorry I such a bummer!! I am scared and sad.

I am with Kaiser too. I am jumping through all their hoops because of this exact reason !! My pcp warned me... "Do not go out of house for surgery because Kaiser will not cover any aftercare". You are still healing, so take it easy and rest. Stop trying to make everything happen at such a fast pace. Stay on full liquids for a couple weeks, then creamed Soups for a couple weeks and then pureed soft foods for a couple of weeks. Take gradual baby steps and give yourself time to heal. Remember, you had a lot of water weight after surgery, so you weighed more when you came out than when you went in... give yourself a break. you did not gain this weight over night and you will not lose it over night.

Okay, now I am really confused about the Kaiser thing???

I have one - yes they will cover and one - no they wont.

I decided to bite the bullet and call Membership Services. They are closed today in observance of the holiday.

If they wont cover me for this surgery than what good are they to me as an insurance company?

We will be in open enrollment next month and I may just need to change companies.

I am sure once Membership Services realizes the chunk of change they will be loosing.....I cover a family of four through my work as well as my husband. We have double coverage.

Okay, now I am really confused about the Kaiser thing???

I have one - yes they will cover and one - no they wont.

I decided to bite the bullet and call Membership Services. They are closed today in observance of the holiday.

If they wont cover me for this surgery than what good are they to me as an insurance company?

We will be in open enrollment next month and I may just need to change companies.

I am sure once Membership Services realizes the chunk of change they will be loosing.....I cover a family of four through my work as well as my husband. We have double coverage.

wow... "if they won't cover this surgery what good are they?" You were the one who chose to not "jump through Kaisers hoops" now you want them to give you aftercare on a surgery they did not perform. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT...

wow... "if they won't cover this surgery what good are they?" You were the one who chose to not "jump through Kaisers hoops" now you want them to give you aftercare on a surgery they did not perform. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT...

Why are you getting snarky? It's not personal for you.

Yeah, actually I do.

If I were to seek plastic surgery, it WOULDN'T be through Kaiser. If I had complications or got an infection I would want Kaiser to treat it. Seems pretty logical to me.