Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey all!

I know about the no celery that most surgeons talk about. But my hubby ( who's a chef) says if I peel the spines ( stringy things) off, that all should be fine. Is he right in this? I'm 4 months out and miss celery sooo much!!! Can someone give me more insite?

I peel the spines off of mine and enjoy celery every now and then. I'm at 6 weeks. It's super yummy and my nut said that was fine. So good with Peanut Butter. Hope you get to enjoy some soon!

I never knew you weren't allowed to have it... first time I seen it mentioned. I haven't had mine yet, but I've done mandatory online classes and meeting with NUT and they never mentioned it yet. Maybe they will at my preop next week? Thanks for the post.

Good question! I know that the celery can sometimes get bound up in the stomach and create a beozar (spelling?). Same goes for coconut too. Not sure if its just the spines or if its all the fibre throughout the celery. Would be good to find out as I too like celery. (I have eaten it when it is cut up small).

I was told to avoid it for 6 months due to the cellulose factor since it's difficult for us to digest it normally. Couple the cellulose factor with altered stomachs apparently those 2 things don't go well together.

I waited a long time to eat celery raw. Probably close to a year before I tried it, and I was fine. Raw veggies and fruits were completely discouraged until I was 3 months out.

After reading the couple of bezoar cases on here and obesityhelp, I decided to avoid those foods unless they were cooked.

http://www.raw-food-health.net/listofvegetables.html#axzz1RVweZSLn'>http://www.raw-food-health.net/listofvegetables.html#axzz1RVweZSLn

This information came from: http://www.raw-food-health.net/listofvegetables.html#ixzz1RVytWB3b

http://www.raw-food-health.net/

Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial No Derivatives

Broccoli, Brussels Sprout, Cabbage, Collard Greens, Kale, Horseradish, Rutabaga, Turnip, Chinese Cabbage, Cauliflower, Broccoli Rabe, Daikon, Bok Choy, Radish, Kohlrabi

salad1_194px.jpgEverything in this list is distinguished by its high cellulose content. Most mammals do not have the ability to break it down and absorb nutrients from it easily (1), including humans.

Unlike soluble Fiber, the fibers in insoluble Fiber are hard and can scratch the digestive lining. Cuciferous vegetables should be chewed well or blended before swallowing to aid digestion.

It's not that these foods are worthless, but just not the easiest to digest. Use caution when adding them to your diet, especially if you have digestive or intestinal problems.

I did eat cooked celery in stew and Soups without issue. I occasionally get a hankering for celery with pineapple cream cheese with crushed walnuts sprinkled on top, and I indulge.

... I occasionally get a hankering for celery with pineapple cream cheese with crushed walnuts sprinkled on top, and I indulge.

OMG! You just made me crave a food for the first time in a long time! These sound absolutely delicious! Shame on you :lol:

OMG! You just made me crave a food for the first time in a long time! These sound absolutely delicious! Shame on you :lol:

LOL :lol: I'm sorry, this was a weird food combination that an ex-boyfriend turned me onto and he paired it with a fancy Moscato wine ! ! ! I thought he was crazy, and wouldn't try it together. But, low and behold, it's one of the best wine/food combinations I've ever had in my life.

Of course, right now, I can not have the Moscato so it's nothing for me to scoop the cream cheese right out of the container onto a half of a celery stalk and then dip the celery into my container of crushed walnuts HA. My husband thinks I'm slightly insane when this craving hits ! ! !

Wow,, I totally did not know celery was hard on our tummies to digest. I was told no raw veggies for 6 months.. and... just last week I could not stand it, twice last week I had celery and simply jiff (fat free) Peanut Butter for an afternoon snack. I planned on getting more celery this weekend grocery trip.... shame on me. I have my 6 month doc visit on Tues, I will besure to ask him or the nut about celery & digestion, etc.....

this forum is so valuable!

thanks!!!:D

Wow,, I totally did not know celery was hard on our tummies to digest. I was told no raw veggies for 6 months.. and... just last week I could not stand it, twice last week I had celery and simply jiff (fat free) Peanut Butter for an afternoon snack. I planned on getting more celery this weekend grocery trip.... shame on me. I have my 6 month doc visit on Tues, I will besure to ask him or the nut about celery & digestion, etc.....

this forum is so valuable!

thanks!!!:D

Just to make sure everyone understands completely, it's not the CELERY per-se that is "hard" to digest, it's he long strings of indigestible (that means UN-digestible) fiber along the outside of the celery stalk that may get stuck in the narrow confines of a sleeve. These strings are very tough and when eaten by a person with a normal stomach have not problem passing right through into the intestines and are pretty much passed through to the stool unchanged.

When a sleever gets celery the long strands may ball up in the tiny stomach and refuse to pass through the pyloric valve into the gut. They get stuck in the stomach and may pick up other "hitch hikers" and form a bezoar ( https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Bezoar ) or a ball of indigestible matter than lodges in the stomach. Cat's get these from eating hair and they are called hair BALLS. Medication tablets and bits of other matter can get stuck in them as the original indigestible matter provides a "shell" for the stuff to hide in. If they get real bad they need to be removed surgically.

I would thing that if the celery were chopped up finely, say in a Soup, that there would be no harm. But I err on the side of caution and choose NOT to eat it. As others have stated you can PEEL the back off the celery and just leave the tender heart portion and be OK too.

Huh, interesting topic. Never knew about the raw veggies.... that is kind of sad.