Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ok so since my follow ups with my dr are now further apart and I wont be able to weigh myself as frequently.. I went to Bed Bath and Beyond tonight and bought The Biggest Loser scale to have at home. Got home, sat it on the kitchen floor.. set it to zero.. and here goes nothing......... It showed that I was only 2lbs lighter than a week ago! THEN.. i moved it to the bathroom got on it again and it showed that im 4 lbs heavier since last week! WTF!

I am miserable right now..... and so discouraged. I should not be gaining or losing just 2lbs a week yet :( Could it be the scale? ? Has anyone had issues with home scales?

Now this is going to be weighing on my mind.. ugh

Home scales are notoriously bad unless you get a highly rated one. They are better when you keep them in one place. I like to go to the y and use their slide the weights scale. I use my home scale as a rough guide and dont weigh more often than once a week.

i also have a weight watchers scale that never told me the same weight when i stepped on it even if i didnt move it. i ended up taking it back and now only go by the doctors scale

Tanita scales are the best - very consistent - I weigh in at WW each week and my scale is consistently 1 lb more than theirs. I have owned two and they are the best - hard to find in store, I bought my second one online (the official weigh in scales at WW are this brand as well)

i bought a highly rated scale and still doesn't match with the dr. i stopped weighing myself at home cause i was starting to feel like i was getting obsessed with it.

Also, scales are rarely ever in agreement with each other. I have weighed myself on my home scale, drove to the doctor's office 5 minutes away and hop on their scale and have had a difference of 5 pounds. I did that a couple of times - and both times it was consistently like that, so I just figured that was the difference in the scales.

If you are going to track your weight, use one scale only for sanity sake. I'm using my personal scale since I know that I won't be at the surgeon's office as much after the surgery, so this way I will be able to track my weight. Officially, they go by the doctor's scale of course, but for me, I will be using my own scale.

I recommend leaving your scale in exactly the same place on a hard level floor. I can gain or lose up to 1.5 lb.s or so by moving mine around a few inches on my hardwood floor (Original wood floor from the 1920s so it probably has a more uneven surface than newer ones). If it's in the same place and you can change your weight more than an ounce or two by simply hopping off and on, maybe it's time for a new scale.

And next time you plan to get weighed at the Dr.s, step on the scale before leaving the house. Generally, my scale weighs about 1 lb. heavier than the Dr.s scale.

And about the two pound thing: You are right on schedule for the infamous 3 week stall. You'll find lots of chatter about the notorious stall all over VST. If you did only lose two pounds in week 3 or so, you are in good company!!

Lynda

I have a Weight Watchers scale and it has been accurate. I weigh pretty much the exact same as the doctor's scale. I would just go with what your scale says now. It should be able to track the loss. I used to have a horrible scale before, so I know how you feel. It is so frustrating to have fluctuations!

ok so since my follow ups with my dr are now further apart and I wont be able to weigh myself as frequently.. I went to Bed Bath and Beyond tonight and bought The Biggest Loser scale to have at home. Got home, sat it on the kitchen floor.. set it to zero.. and here goes nothing......... It showed that I was only 2lbs lighter than a week ago! THEN.. i moved it to the bathroom got on it again and it showed that im 4 lbs heavier since last week! WTF!

I am miserable right now..... and so discouraged. I should not be gaining or losing just 2lbs a week yet :( Could it be the scale? ? Has anyone had issues with home scales?

Now this is going to be weighing on my mind.. ugh

These digital scales are VERY sensitive to any uneven surfaces and even a clump of unseen what every maybe naked to the eye under one of the feet! So I have this rule, maybe a head game, but it works for me. I picked a line in my floor design and that is the exact spot I weigh every morning,,, oh and ps, according to Dr. OZ the best time to weigh yourself is first thing out of bed in the morning after you have peed! oh and naked too!

Now for the actual numbers,, you are always going to get a different read in at home then the doctors office! Last time I went to the Doc office I actually weighed in less there with clothes on vs at home naked!

I can fluctuate 4 pounds in one day,, so put that scale away and make sure you ONLY weigh first thing in the Morning after you body and mind have had their daily reboot!

Unless you can calibrate yours to say the same things as your doctors office, keep your sanity and listen to yours until your next appointment and then you'll see the difference between the two and are able to do the math. scales rarely say the same thing, even two identical models side by side. Just know that you're losing, pay attention to the one at home and like myori said....only weigh in the mornings. Sensitive scales will show a difference after you've eaten a meal or drank your 64 ounces of Fluid and show a weight gain.

I hope this makes sense, I just woke up and am still kinda ditzy / foggy right now (not that this isn't normal even after I've been up all day LOL)

xoxo, Renee`