Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Official: FitBit Thread

I need a way to keep track of the calories I am burning doing my Couch to 5k and just being active. Is the Fitbit worth buying for this purpose? For those who have Fitbit's do you like them? How do they work?

I have one. And, I will say I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee it!

It not only tracks the calories you burn, but it tracks your sleep AND the amount of steps you take.

It is definitely a motivation tool.

I adore mine. I wear it DAILY! Feel naked if I don't!

It has some good reviews. My problem with "pedometers" is they never stay on my waistband - or if they do, they don't actually count my steps. It sounds like this you can wear in other places and it still counts your steps too. Just wondering how it counts your steps if you have it in your pocket - or bra.

What if you bike?

What if you bike?

According to their website - and reviews on Amazon - it's not that reliable for biking. For walking or jogging yes - but not for biking. Not quite sure why though.

I have a body bug, like the ones on the biggest loser, and until I read this post, and checked out the fitbit website I loved my body bug. This fit bit seems to use different technology than the body body bug, and I am not sure if it would be as accurate as the body bug. The free website, and cheaper price make the fit bit much more attractive than the body bug. Needless to say I am thinking about switching up and going with the fit bit, the free website tools are the kicker for me, even the premium membership at fitbit is cheaper than the body bug website. I may run a side by side comparison for a week or so and see which one works best.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

I have a body bug, like the ones on the biggest loser, and until I read this post, and checked out the fitbit website I loved my body bug. This fit bit seems to use different technology than the body body bug, and I am not sure if it would be as accurate as the body bug. The free website, and cheaper price make the fit bit much more attractive than the body bug. Needless to say I am thinking about switching up and going with the fit bit, the free website tools are the kicker for me, even the premium membership at fitbit is cheaper than the body bug website. I may run a side by side comparison for a week or so and see which one works best.

Yes please keep us posted. I don't have either yet ... Hehe.. you are going to test them for us!

Khy

Definitely keep us posted! I have been oogling the bodybugg for a couple years and just found out about the fitbit... I'd love to know which is better!

I will be ordering my Fitbit on the first of the month, unfortunately this pay period all goes to banks, I will keep you all posted. I like the smaller size and less noticeable design of the fitbit just from the photos I saw. The body bug is a bit of a pain the ass, as a guy in the summer I often wear sleeveless shirts to work or go for my walks, I hate heavig everyone ask what it is, does it work? how does it work? and so on.

I have a body bugg and think it is more accurate but it does cost more then the fitbit and you need to pay a monthly due in order to get your results. You really only need it for about a month. The main difference between the two is the bb uses gps while the fitbit measures your steps. The sleep mode isn't that accurate depending on your position while sleeping.< /p>

If you are looking for something for the purpose of training in walking, running, or biking, then I would also suggest checking out the Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS watch. It's worn like a watch and tells you in real time your speed distance covered, minutes passes, heartrate and calorie burn. I am not sure how much the fitbit is but the Garmin runs $135 through Amazon. It comes ready to go for outdoor workouts. If you want to track your pace on a treadmill you'll also have to purchase the footpod which I think runs$50 more.

The Forerunner isn't for tracking calories and steps around the clock, but it is awesome for training. The data from the watch is later downloaded to a free site that shows your route on a map. You can click of any point and see your pace and heartrate in that point. It also shows overviews of the entire workout and stores all of your workouts.

I had a body bugg and while I found it interesting I wasn't dedicated enough to wear it all of the time. I like the Garmin's accuracy and detail a lot.My husband and I both have one as we train for a 1/2 marathon and we never leave on a walk/run without them. Just thought I'd toss it out there.

Good luck in your search!

Amanda

Sorry, I lost track of this posting.

To track sleep, you place the FitBit on a little "bracelet" and you hit this button. When you wake up, you are to hit that button again.

It measures how long you slept, how long it took for you to fall asleep, and how many times you woke up. And, then it puts it in a nice little chart.

As for biking, I'm not sure if it's that accurate. I haven't biked yet. I'm about to buy myself a bike, so I will try it then.

But, everything else is fairly accurate. You can hit the same little button you do for sleep to measure activities. So say you wanted to know how much you walked in one hour, you could hit start, and then once the hour was up, hit stop. And, it would show you that total before giving you the total combined steps.

I absolutely love my Fitbit. I ended up getting mine through Best Buy because they offered a better insurance program.

I wear it daily. :)

Here is my link: http://www.fitbit.com/user/2243D5

If you want to see what the charts look like!

you definitely have to keep us posted... i wanted a body bug ...until i saw the free page for fit it .... just want to get the most for my money :D...