Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a slow loser, keeping around 2-3 pounds each week. My doc told me I will enter the "honeymoon" stage with my sleeve in the 3- 6 month post op time frame and that is when I should see the most weight loss. I am not seeing it yet and I am approaching the 5 month mark.

Has anyone else experience higher weight loss during this time frame or have any thoughts on this?

Sorry not there yet. But 2/3 lbs a week sounds GREAT!

I'd be real happy if I could lose that kinda weight. Ive been a real SLOW loser. :(

2-3 Lbs per week is ideal and even considered on the higher end of optimal weight loss. 1-2 Lbs per week is considered normal.

Sorry, I'm only 2.5 months out and so I don't have a real answer yet. However, I will be really excited to get to that stage if it is real. I'm 40lbs down now and my Dr. says I'm one of his slowest loosing patients :( Oh, well....Give my skin a chance to bounce back a bit I guess :) He did say sort of the same thing your Dr. did though. So we shall see. Please let us know if you start seeing a change and an increase!

I am a slow loser, keeping around 2-3 pounds each week. My doc told me I will enter the "honeymoon" stage with my sleeve in the 3- 6 month post op time frame and that is when I should see the most weight loss. I am not seeing it yet and I am approaching the 5 month mark.

Has anyone else experience higher weight loss during this time frame or have any thoughts on this?

I will be extremely pleased if I average 2-3 pounds a week. I have lost 13 pounds in three weeks but consider that to be because I have been on liquids the whole time and also had an eight day stall.

The way my doctor put it is that the first six months to a year is the optimum window of time for losing. It is important to help maximize by stiking to the prciples - which for my doctor are

70-80 grams Protein

64 plus ounces Water

40 grams max carbs

minimum 3 times a week exercise

Vitamins

This is pretty similar to most doctors credos I think!

Even though it is in a sense dieting, I plan to do it because I want to use the honeymoon period to the max. I know eventually I will have a harder time losing and will have a bigger capacity for food so to me it is worth "dieting" for a time. And with this wonderful tool, which for me has meant NO hunger- I think for the first time in my life I have a real hope of succeeding.

Losing 2-3 pounds a week is great! And you have already lost 50 pounds! That is really awesome! Look at what you have already accomplished.

It's easy to focus on the negative, but that won't help. All it will do is lead to depression and make it easier to fall back into your old, bad habits. So what you haven't lost 100 pounds yet. So what you aren't loosing 10 pounds a week. Is it really the end of the world? No. The fact is everyone will lose weight differently. It probably took you YEARS to get to your starting weight. It won't come off overnight.

Focus on the positive and what you have already accomplished. Celebrate that victory! Revel in the fact that you have lost 50 pounds that will NEVER RETURN. Glory in the fact you are learning new healthier habits that you can follow for the rest of your life. Know the weight is coming off due to all of this hard work that you are putting into making your tool work for you.

Sorry if that sounds harsh - especially from someone who hasn't been sleeved yet. But I know I'll probably end up saying some of the things you had in your post - and when I do, I hope someone will take the time to tell me this stuff to keep me on the straight and narrow as it were. :)

you are averaging 10lbs a week, in my eyes thats pretty damn good. :) You are doing fine, everyone loses at their own rate.

Even for people with wls 1 -2 pounds is normal? I sure hope so, I am 7 months today and have lost only 60 lbs (70 w/ pre op) and every month since Dec. I've lost 6 or 7 pounds a month. I'm ok with that as long as I keep losing.

2-3 Lbs per week is ideal and even considered on the higher end of optimal weight loss. 1-2 Lbs per week is considered normal.

Even for people with wls 1 -2 pounds is normal? I sure hope so, I am 7 months today and have lost only 60 lbs (70 w/ pre op) and every month since Dec. I've lost 6 or 7 pounds a month. I'm ok with that as long as I keep losing.

that sounds like a low estimate to me...i had always heard 4-5 lbs....with a standard diet ppl are expected to lose 1-2 lbs a week....i would think it should be a little higher maybe 2-3 lbs a week having had surgery and taking in such a small amount of calories

Unless you are extremely active it is not physically possible for the body to burn 4-5 lbs a week of fat. Having that high of an expectation is going to do nothing but make you feel bad about yourself and frustrated, when in truth you are on the high end of the spectrum. And that is a darn shame for you to do that to yourself!

Next time you go to the grocery store, line up 50 lbs worth of pork loin and just LOOK at it. Really stare at it and picture that it came off your body. You will be stunned at how much it is.

Stay positive, stay realistic and you will be successful in the long haul. As another poster pointed out, you didn't put it on overnight and it won't come off overnight.

IMO, yes 1-2 Lbs per week later on down the line (not including the first month) is more common even in WLS than not. Of course there are always exceptions to every rule, some will lose more and some less. I was losing 2-3 Lbs per week for the first 7 months post op and now I'm dipping down into 1-2 Lbs per week. I think it's really important to appreciate any weight lost. Dwelling and feeling negative by comparing ourselves to others will only lead to feelings of failure and inadequacy. That's not a road I choose to travel anymore frankly. I've done that enough in my life and I think was a major contributor to my morbid obesity to begin with.

Unless you are extremely active it is not physically possible for the body to burn 4-5 lbs a week of fat. Having that high of an expectation is going to do nothing but make you feel bad about yourself and frustrated, when in truth you are on the high end of the spectrum. And that is a darn shame for you to do that to yourself!

Next time you go to the grocery store, line up 50 lbs worth of pork loin and just LOOK at it. Really stare at it and picture that it came off your body. You will be stunned at how much it is.

Stay positive, stay realistic and you will be successful in the long haul. As another poster pointed out, you didn't put it on overnight and it won't come off overnight.

LOL!!! I will be eyeing over the meat counter at my local grocery store this weekend looking at 50 lbs of meat!!! Great idea!!!

Thank you all for being so real with your thoughts & suggestions.... I do truly appreciate that!

I guess I look at some posts on here and some peoples weight loss and they appear to have these high numbers 75 pounds in 3 months or 125 pounds lost in 6 months.... Reading some of those posts make me feel really behind the loser bench instead of on the losers bench!!!

I know everyone is different and as much as I keep telling myself NOT to compare my weight loss with others, its hard not too!!!

Thank you all for being so real with your thoughts & suggestions.... I do truly appreciate that!

I guess I look at some posts on here and some peoples weight loss and they appear to have these high numbers 75 pounds in 3 months or 125 pounds lost in 6 months.... Reading some of those posts make me feel really behind the loser bench instead of on the losers bench!!!

I know everyone is different and as much as I keep telling myself NOT to compare my weight loss with others, its hard not too!!!