Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 weeks post op- Ode to an egg!

Kelly and Michelle- I know I said I would be up early but my husband and son went to the Civil War cemetery around the corner for the annual anvil dropping (boys do love a big bang) and without them here I slept and slept and slept. At three weeks that is something I still do pretty easily.

I just ate manna from heaven , aka a soft scrambled egg. Or rather half of one. I decided to stop there, not because I actually felt anything that told me to- and I would really love to get tuned in to that, but to be safe. Carter the border terrier shared ;-P

IT WAS FABULOUS!!!!! You would think I hadn't had solid food for five weeks! Oh wait- I hadn't... This egg was sublime, bodacious, perfect in it's tasty savory egginess. And it went down fine and I have no pain or discomfort!!!! HOORAY!

Meanwhile I am statistically part of the three week stall- I have gone between 250 and 249.6 for four days now. Sigh. I just hope it does not last weeks. My pool opens tomorrow so I will be back in the Water along with my long walk every day so that should help. And I will keep on keeping on with the fluids and Protein. I figure with the small amounts of mushies I will still need the dread Protein drinks for a while. Double sigh.

I would love some feedback about how you all know you should stop- what sigh do you get? I really want to avoid the pain, foamies, etc....

YAY HORRAY!!

I am so very happy that you ate your egg!! And even happier that it went well!! I still have another week on pureed foods. I seem to be doing a little better with them, but still only eating about 1/4 c at each meal.

I have not eaten to the point of fullness but only once. I felt it in my thoat and stopped. I am sure that most of the time, I could probably eat more, but am afraid of getting sick, so I stop. I usually hiccup and have read that is most people's signal that they have had enough. I don't feel full or have pain or anything, I just usually quit while I am ahead.

I am trying to eat more today though. More frequent meals throughout the day. I have lost 19lbs in 3 weeks and today was really light headed and dizzy. I don't know if it was my anemia or lack of calories I am consuming. I am getting about 350-400 daily with the small amounts I am eating. SCARY!!

I am going to try and up it today by having Snacks and more drinks with calories. I also am going to put p.b.in my Protein drink. that will give me alot of extra calories!

I am doing a happy dance for you. Let me know what you eat next!!

Hugs,

Kelly

Yay Meggie, I am glad you had your egg and it went down fine!!! They are just devine arnt they? lol

I try to stop eating quicker then I probably should, there have been a few times where I ate until I either burped or huccup'ed and then I knew it was time to stop - it still hard for me to know that I am full, because I really dont get that OMG I am so full feeling, I am just getting to where I know the amount of food that eat at a given time and just go with it -

Dont worry about the stall, I had that too, and its probably Water retention and your body just catching up with itself, take in more water/fluids and keep doing what your doing and you will get through it :)

That is so low in calories- with your anemia and now light headedness you really should up it. Your body may go into starvation mode and start holding on to everything- beware of that. Are you doing better on your Protein? Really try to do that- I think your first weight loss is from just not eating- you want to keep it going- though you are really lucky to have only 40 odd pounds to lose!

I am thrilled with the egg going down so easily- though at half an egg I can hardly look to food for my Protein unfortunately! I am going to work on it though since I can't wait to leave these protein drinks behind.

Hiccup- I will have to look out for that! Tonight I am going to blend up some cream of chicken Soup WITHOUT straining it - yay!- and add Protein powder to it - other than that I am playing it very conservative today....maybe! ;-P

So for lunch I had a 1/4 cup of cottage cheese- so nummy! And toothsome! And again, no pain , no problem going down, no problem after either. I am thrilled!

I did have my 45 gram Protein shake in between...and for dinner I am going to blend the full, unstrained chicken Soup, and add a scoop of unflavored Protein Powder. I am not sure I will hit my full 80 grams but will hit at least 70 with only one Protein drink- praise the Lord!

I am thinking from Kelly's experience that three weeks or so works really well for starting purees and soft foods. My doctor also wants me to stay on this for three weeks and at this point I have so much confidence in him that I will do exactly that!

I am walking longer and longer distances and tomorrow as I mentioned adding Water walking. With real food being back in my life I really do feel back among the living now!

You know, I don't think I get head hunger so much as a sort of longing- we walked past so many barbecues (cook outs for you east coasters ;-P) and some of the smells were so delicious! I felt this yummy longing but I really was not hungry and it didn;t leave me feeling it once we had walked past. I think my PPI really helps with those pangs which I might mistake for hunger. I can truly say I do not get hungry- aint it grand?

How was your Memorial Days?

Glad to hear that the egg went down easily and the cottage cheese!

I'm 11 days out from surgery and so far I'm down 18 pounds since surgery and 58 pounds total! I am very much looking forward to Thursday when I can finally eat some real food again!!! I'm currently trying to decide what that is going to be. I can't do eggs unfortunately, but I'm thinking refried Beans or cottage cheese. liquids are going down much easier and I've been able to get in 2 Protein shakes per day which puts me around 40 grams of Protein. I'm also hitting much closer to 50 ounces of liquid. This week my focus is going to be on increasing my exercise and getting things down a little faster so I'm not drinking literally from the time I get up in the morning until I go to bed at night.

Hi Meggie:

Hiccups and burps are definitely my signal to stop eating! I am at week 7 today so just a few weeks ahead of you. I found that the more "solid" the food (baked potato, cottage cheese) the less I could eat. I am also realizing that it is difficult for me to throw food away, particularly if I am needing it for the Protein. I measure out about 1/3 cup but I can rarely finish it. I have learned to STOP as soon as that first hiccup happens.

Last Thursday I was cleared by my Nutritionist to move to solid foods. I went "up north" to the lake over the weeked to stay with my extended family. I tried steak, taco meat, baked Beans, and egg /ham casserole. I found that when eating with others I tended to eat faster and talk while I ate. I had a couple of episodes where I knew I had overdone it and thought I was going to "toss my lunch" but after intense burbing and hiccupping I felt better. I learned my lesson and do not plan to repeat that experience again.

On a good note, the whole group walked or ran around the lake on Memorial Day (6 miles). I only made it about 3 miles but it was fun and I hadn't been able to join them for the past couple of years! By next year I should be able to make it all the way around.

When you get to the mushie stage try a hard boiled egg blended with half an avocado and a good shot of lemon juice (sometimes I will add a shot of Wasabi or Tabasco for some heat). I have this at least once a day. And the avocado is helping me get that good fat in so my hair and skin will not suffer either!

Good job on your egg Meggie. I had one this morning and ate the whole dang thing with no problems. I am going to have to try the egg/ avocado out Husky (or should I say healthy?) It sounds great! Cottage cheese 1/4 cup max for me. I love not being hungry!

meggie,

I loved your ode to a soft scrambled egg! My mouth was watering! I bet your dog is

going to enjoy your new tiny thumby! I'm sure he was rhaspsodizing to his doggie

pals about that soft scrambled egg & all its eggie goodness! After all the liquids

I'm sure mushy foods will taste like ambrosia!

Tomorrow is my surgery and at least on my two pre-surgery diet I was allowed to

eat carrots, broccoli, cucumbers, cabbage so there was stuff to chew on.

After surgery my surgeon has me on thin liquids for the first 3 weeks after surgery

and then mushies for the next 3 weeks. I have another 3 weeks before I even get the

yummy goodness of a soft cooked egg!! I can't believe I'm looking forward to eating

runny Cream of Wheat!

Iam so tired of sweet tasting shakes. Yes, I've had some broth and the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken

Soup flavor. I bet a bacon, lettuce & Tomato flavored shake would be a big seller!

Hope there is a spot for me on that loser's bench 'cause I will be there tomorrow

for sure! biggrin.gifrolleyes.giflaugh.gif

I will think of you tomorrow Kwikwits!

In fact you will have exactly my post-op regimen and I have to tell you I think you will be happy you did it, even if not happy while doing it!

Hard as it was to go five solid weeks on liquids- the two weeks before and the three weeks thin liquids- I found when I finally had my purees and mushies yesterday all went down without any pain or problem. I trust my doctor totally - he has been doing this for 9 years and has few complications.

Today's egg was even more sublime as we added a tablespoon of melted cheddar cheese- I swear I had tears in my eyes it was so good! Then this afternoon I sprinkled a tiny pinch of hidden valley ranch dressing powder on my cottage cheese- sooooo good!

I did both a long walk and Water walking today so I fell nice and worked out and I am about to make Eggfaces ricotta bake. yumm! Savory savory savory- so good!

H to H- thanks for the delish idea- I know I can't have hard boiled eggs until later but pureed is probably another matter. It sounds great with the avocado- yumm! If you can believe it, an avocado tree in our yard is actually bearing fruit that is quite tasty. And we know it's organic ;-P

I feel like I have returned to the living today for real with the advent of food you can chew (to a degree) . And the chorus of huzzahs at the pool tonight raving about my weight loss was really great too!

Lol at the thought of Meggie sitting down to her beloved egg. I can see her slowly raising her fork with a tiny morsel of egg to her mouth...she closes her eyes...tears rolling down her face as angels sing in the background.

Well....after a wonderful day yesterday with an egg and cheese in the morning, a 1/4 cup of cottage cheese with a puff of hidden valley ranch seasoning...and a SECOND egg and cheese at night...all going down well and with my morning shake ending the day at 70 grams- my minimum...

today is another story. I made a mistake- I finished my shake and then it was so late in the day I decided to have my egg right away- as I think of the shake as a liquid. I was not hungry- not in any way. I am NEVER hungry- so it is really hard to know what works. I started burping as I ate but I have that sense of urgency to get enough of the Protein grams in so I almost knew as I put the last bite in that I had overdone it. In fact I think even eating it so soon after the shake was wrong. Well it was not subtle- no pain, just an icky feeling and a knowledge within three minutes that it was going to have to come up. And it did- my thumby was not content until every bit of that egg came up. And i was left feeling really ucky- and finally had stomach pains AFTER and spent some time TMI'ing on the toilet- so this really set off a chain reaction that did not do me well. I still feel bad and don't even want to go for today's walk. UGH. I am queasy and shaky and having trouble even thinking about having anything, even Water.

Sigh. This is hard, incorporating food! I just hope eggs aren't ruined for me- certainly right now I don't want to see one anytime soon but hopefully this feeling will wear off.

Kelly I am sorry you are still having problems with mushies. I did want to mention though that even though you get soft food next week I think you might want to reconsider since you are still not tolerating the mushies. I don't think the soft foods will be any easier! My doctor has you dial back a step every time something isn't working. Just a though! Have you talked to the nutritionist about the problems you are having?