Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is my doctor crazy?!

So, I had a good post-op meeting with my doctor, and everything seems to be going really well (which I am very grateful for!), but he set a goal for me to lose 50 lbs in the next 2 months... my jaw kind of hit the floor. I just don't know if that's realistic or not. I am very overweight (268), so I guess you could expect bigger numbers, but I have never in my life lost weight that fast. I am just curious if other people lost that quickly? His advice to me was "exercise as much as possible and keep your calories as low as possible." To me, that sounds like I might just go into starvation mode and stay there.... Any advice?

WOW that's a lot of weight for 2 months, but I have seen it done by many people here on this site. I'm shocked that a doctor would say 50 in 2 months though...interesting.

yeah that does sound a lot; it's not impossible but I would have thought the Dr wouldn't set it that high because then if you don't reach it that soon it will only make you feel a bit bad. Plus it's not a speed competition; sometimes losing the weight slower has benefits on keeping the skin a bit tighter.

And also keeping cals as low as possible could mean anything! You should be eating the recommended amount but certainly not dropping MORE. I'm not sure but I wouldn't want to go TOO low because the body needs nourishment. Yeah, the body can go into starvation mode but more importantly you want to keep the body fed the amount it needs. I disagree a little with what the doc says there. If I were you I'd keep doing what your doing and let the weight do its own thing...setting goals that seem really big can lead to feeling disappointment if you don't reach them. Say you lost 40 pounds, which is AMAZING, if the doc set me a 50 pound loss, you may even feel a bit like you failed to reach your first goal because it was set too high!

yeah that does sound a lot; it's not impossible but I would have thought the Dr wouldn't set it that high because then if you don't reach it that soon it will only make you feel a bit bad. Plus it's not a speed competition; sometimes losing the weight slower has benefits on keeping the skin a bit tighter.

And also keeping cals as low as possible could mean anything! You should be eating the recommended amount but certainly not dropping MORE. I'm not sure but I wouldn't want to go TOO low because the body needs nourishment. Yeah, the body can go into starvation mode but more importantly you want to keep the body fed the amount it needs. I disagree a little with what the doc says there. If I were you I'd keep doing what your doing and let the weight do its own thing...setting goals that seem really big can lead to feeling disappointment if you don't reach them. Say you lost 40 pounds, which is AMAZING, if the doc set me a 50 pound loss, you may even feel a bit like you failed to reach your first goal because it was set too high!

Thanks, I think you nailed it! Setting a goal that high is making me feel a bit stressed and like I might "fail."

Wow! So many ways to do things. My doc said, no weight goals, don't attach success to numbers... look for reduction in co-morbidities as your signs of success, don't start setting yourself up for failure based on numbers...

Sleeved Dec 6th at 375#, weight on Jan 14 39 days later = 311#. Which equals 64 lbs lost in 39 days.

So YES it IS possible, at least at first. It SHOULD slow down for me as I stabilize. I've jest been in awe as the pounds just fly off. I can't picture them continuing to do so.

I think that this works faster for the super obese because we were abusing ourselves with so many excess calories. The massive reduction of calories is so great the body just can't support it's mass and looses weight really fast.

Maybe he meant 50 pounds total weight loss from the beginning in 2 more months?

No, he wants me to weigh around 220 in 2 months. But, thanks for the thought!! :-)

Sleeved Dec 6th at 375#, weight on Jan 14 39 days later = 311#. Which equals 64 lbs lost in 39 days.

So YES it IS possible, at least at first. It SHOULD slow down for me as I stabilize. I've jest been in awe as the pounds just fly off. I can't picture them continuing to do so.

I think that this works faster for the super obese because we were abusing ourselves with so many excess calories. The massive reduction of calories is so great the body just can't support it's mass and looses weight really fast.

Yes it is true and possible, however keep in mind - she is a woman and she weighs less (so her metabolism is going to be quite different). It's not going to be as easy to lose as it may have been for you. Regardless, Congratulations for you're really doing amazing!!!

Lila, wow - I agree so much with feed's Dr. I follow that same guideline that I will find my successes in more ways than just the scale. I specifically look for NSV's every single day! My weight loss has been much lower than most others around here so that is what I do to keep positive and know I AM doing a good job.

Though I do use my scale as a guide on whether I can try harder or not. However I am very content on my losses to date!! :) I do set mini goals but and I have set dates attached to try to work to get there. It is disappointing though when I don't make them. I just set the bar lower this time, to something I personally know I can do.

Good luck to you!!

I think it is doable if you are following a high Protein, low carb program. Which is what my surgeon and nut recommend. What kind of nutrtional guidelines did your nut or surgeon give you. My surgeon said the first six months is known as the honeymoon phase. Meaning you will lose most of your weight in the first six months. After that it slow down remarkablely.

Good luck!!

Deb B)

I think it is doable if you are following a high Protein, low carb program. Which is what my surgeon and nut recommend. What kind of nutrtional guidelines did your nut or surgeon give you. My surgeon said the first six months is known as the honeymoon phase. Meaning you will lose most of your weight in the first six months. After that it slow down remarkablely.

Good luck!!

Deb B)

It's high Protein, low carb, low calories (600 -800 a day). But, I have stalled in the last 2 weeks, so I dunno what's going on with that :-).

Anyhow, I'll bump up the exercise and see what happens. I am down 2 lbs (possibly Water weight) after my spinning class last night. Here's hoping!!!

No, he wants me to weigh around 220 in 2 months. But, thanks for the thought!! :-)

I thought the same thing, 2 more months and you could easily be -50 overall (or I would think that is possible). I think 50lbs in 2 months is pretty extreme. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it does seem like a lot to lose with the sleeve.

On one hand it is good that your dr. is giving you goals, but on the other hand I hope he is okay with you reaching those goals in the timetable that YOUR body will allow vs. what he thinks is doable.

Have you exercised at all before now? I'm so confused! When I went to see my Dr. for my 6 week post op, I was eating about five to six hundred calories and getting about 50 grams of Protein a day. I was (and still am) also getting about 12 - 13000 steps a day, about 45 min of cardio a day, and some strength training mixed in with the cardio. My Dr. told me that I was breaking down the muscle in my body by exercising, and that it cannot rebuild that muscle if I'm not getting 800 cals a day minimum. He told me that my number one focus should be getting my intake to 800 cals a day, and that when I'm consistently reaching that number, then I can switch my focus to exercise. Before he told me that, I wasn't really overly concerned with how many calories I was eating...just how much Protein. I quickly figured out how to arrange my eating so that I could work more protein in, and now I get between 8 and 850 cals a day, and between 70-80 grams of protein.

It drives me crazy that there can't just be a gold standard answer. I realize that everyone's doctors are different, and that all of US are different as well, but I'm just such a black and white person! I'd hate to think that I've raised my calories and will cause myself to stall out. I suppose if that happens I'll just switch it up until I find the right combo, but it's still frustrating. I'd also like to know where your Dr. is coming from with the eat as few calories as possible. Man...I'm never hungry! If my Dr. told me that same thing, I could probably get by on 2 or 300 a day, but I can't see how that would be a good thing?

this is totally my uneducated opinion but my starting weight was 214lbs and in 3 months i have lost 50lbs... so with a slightly higher weight... you are likely able to get there in 2 months but it wont be a cake walk.... Doing any sort of physical activity will definitely help you alot! I wouldnt focus on feeling ovewhelmed with the goal but rather take on the challenge and set a high expectation of yourself... this way you are more likely to hit that goal! All the best to you! and to answer your question, No I do not think your Doc is Crazy LOL! :)

He told me 50 lbs in 3 months and I am stuck at 20 thus far... not sure how the other 30 are going to "fall off". He also said that I should expect 100 in 9-12 months if I stick with the diet plan etc. I need to figure out how to get exercise in more. I work full time and have 2 little ones (age 1 and 3) and it is cold as hell so I can't exactly take them on a walk! Anxiously awaiting the OK to lift and do other stuff.

I was 245 when I weighed in at his office and 239 the day of surgery.