Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any December Sleevers?

My surgery date is December 7th. Anyone scheduled on or near that date? I figure I'll be able to decorate the house and do my shopping beforehand, then be in pretty good shape by the time Christmas rolls around.

My surgery is scheduled for December 1st. I haven't done a thing to get ready yet!

I am *hoping* for December 20th! My last appointment is November 8th, then they submit to insurance. The insurance guy at the bariatric center thinks it will be perfect for the date I want--school teacher. It still seems a long way off, so I've not really gotten excited or nervous, yet!

Hi there, I'm due to have surgery on Dec 7th also in the UK, so we'll be sleeve sisters !!!

I'm trying to organise as much as possible, I'm on a 3 week milk based pre-op diet from Nov 17th, so I'll probably not feel much like trudging round amongst the frantic Christmas shoppers from then on !

Sooooo looking forward to this, as yet no nerves at all but I expect that will change as it gets nearer.

I live on my own, so it will be a bit of a struggle initially but all my friends are lining up to help post op.

I've still got to work out how to bend over and feed my cats without damaging anything LOL !!!! but thats about it, I think I've got most other things covered.

Let me know how you're doing, are you nervous or at ease now with your decision ?

Best wishes Angela ( UK member )

I am scheduled for surgery December 3rd in Dallas, TX. I have plenty of appointments between now and then. I am so excited and ready.

Good luck to everyone!

I am *hoping* to have my surgery on Dec 8th. I meet with the surgeon on Nov 12th and will have all my appts completed by then for submission. I know I have a pre-op appt 2wks before surgery where I get all the details, but i'm still foggy on the actual process until my appt w/the surgeon.

I'm hoping to get mine done on December 20th too!! I'm supposed to hear back from Aetna about my appeal on Monday so I'm excited. I really hope this gets approved. I just did my upper endoscopy last week and all I have left to do is get sleeved! lol.

December 27th here! I'm taking the last week of the month in order to get the insurance deductible, then the first week of the next year for recovery. Too busy up until then to get two weeks in a row. My pre-op appointment is December 8th. Starting to get a little nervous, but WAY excited as well. I want to look better than I did when my photo was taken 50 lbs ago!

I think I'll be last week of December. Gotta finish my hoop jumping before I know for sure!

Hi all. I am set to have my surgery with Dr. Aceves on 12/09. You were asking what everyone was doing to get ready. I have started my own notebook with things I have found on the forum so I can take it with me wherever I go. I can't believe how lucky we are to have all the information previous sleevers have posted! I have found some great threads with recipes, websites where you can buy sample packs from different companies and also threads with great ideas about Vitamins etc. I print them out and keep the book with me. I have visited GNC, Walmart, Target, Trader Joes and walgreens so far making note of what I can find there, costs etc. Next pay day I will start to stock my cupboard a little at a time so I am prepared with lots of choices. My husband has been great and just follows me around letting me take my time to check out the backs of bottles at every store. I am getting excited but a little scared. It hit me that this was kinda like when I had my hysterectomy. This is PERMANENT. After my hysterectomy I used to think to myself "but what if I wanted another baby" I knew I didn't but just that fact that I COULDN'T really bothered me. Now, with this surgery, there is no going back. It is a permanent thing. I am excited to lose my weight (approximately 100 lbs) but there is no going back to the enjoyment of eating and eating. I am trying to deal with that concept now so I don't get the WLS depression I have heard about. Good luck to everyone!

mboski

215 lbs

surgery scheduled for 12/09/2010

I am considering Dec 17 or 18th with Dr. Aceves. I haven't commited yet though.... I live in San Diego and my sister is scared of Mexico and doesn't want to go with me.... I wish I had a close friend who was fluent in Spanish; I would fee so much better about getting it done there.

Hi there, I'm due to have surgery on Dec 7th also in the UK, so we'll be sleeve sisters !!!

I'm trying to organise as much as possible, I'm on a 3 week milk based pre-op diet from Nov 17th, so I'll probably not feel much like trudging round amongst the frantic Christmas shoppers from then on !

Sooooo looking forward to this, as yet no nerves at all but I expect that will change as it gets nearer.

I live on my own, so it will be a bit of a struggle initially but all my friends are lining up to help post op.

I've still got to work out how to bend over and feed my cats without damaging anything LOL !!!! but thats about it, I think I've got most other things covered.

Let me know how you're doing, are you nervous or at ease now with your decision ?

Best wishes Angela ( UK member )

Glad to hear I will have a sleeve sister! My grandmother was English, though the family line goes back to the American Revolution. I have two nutrition visits in November for info and counseling on what I will be able to eat, then I have an appt. with the Dr. on Nov. 18th and he will tell me then if I need a pre-op diet or not.

My husband and best friend will be helping me the first few days at home.

I am convinced that this is the solution for me, but yet I am a little nervous about the permanance of it, and if I will be dissapointed that I can't eat more. I am a very fast eater, so slowing down and chewing will be a difficult thing for me.

My surgery will be at 7:30 am EST, which would be 12:30 pm your time. (I am in Virginia.)

Hi there, good to hear from you.

I'm not sure what time my surgery will be yet. I have to go into the hospital on Monday Dec 6th and the op is the following day. All I know is that I will go home on the Friday.

I'm having my surgery done on the NHS. My surgeon is really nice and very experienced. He has spent many years as an upper GI cancer speciallist and had been doing partial and full gastrectomies on cancer patients for years prior to the VSG procedure being introduced for weight loss.

I had such a laugh with him in my initial appointment. I asked him if I could a) keep the removed section of stomach pickled in a jar, or B) at least see it. He said he hadn't been asked before but if I ask him when I go into hospital he will see what he can do. ( I really would like to keep it if possible, honestly ! )

I also asked if I can have a DVD of the procedure. He said as long as there is recording equipment available on the day that won't be a problem.

I am feeling quite relaxed about the actual procedure, I trust my surgeon completely. I am, however, having fleeting seconds of thinking " oh wow, this is forever " but they soon pass.

It might seem a bit silly, but the thing that freaks me out most is the propect of hair loss a few months down the line. I'm going to start taking Biotin this week and hope that helps. Hopefully the loss won't be too bad, I have really thick hair so I can afford to loose a bit of it !

Let me know how your appointments that are coming up go. I don't have any more before my op, so I'm now just sitting back and waiting !!! Only 44 days to go, not that I'm counting LOL !!!!

By the way, where in England was your grandmother from ? England is not such a big country, we could end up being related LOL !!!

Sorry, but I do tend to get carried away and waffle on a bit, I can talk for England LOL !!!

Look forward to hearing your updates.

Best wishes Angela.

Hi there, good to hear from you.

I'm not sure what time my surgery will be yet. I have to go into the hospital on Monday Dec 6th and the op is the following day. All I know is that I will go home on the Friday.

I'm having my surgery done on the NHS. My surgeon is really nice and very experienced. He has spent many years as an upper GI cancer speciallist and had been doing partial and full gastrectomies on cancer patients for years prior to the VSG procedure being introduced for weight loss.

I had such a laugh with him in my initial appointment. I asked him if I could a) keep the removed section of stomach pickled in a jar, or B) at least see it. He said he hadn't been asked before but if I ask him when I go into hospital he will see what he can do. ( I really would like to keep it if possible, honestly ! )

I also asked if I can have a DVD of the procedure. He said as long as there is recording equipment available on the day that won't be a problem.

I am feeling quite relaxed about the actual procedure, I trust my surgeon completely. I am, however, having fleeting seconds of thinking " oh wow, this is forever " but they soon pass.

It might seem a bit silly, but the thing that freaks me out most is the propect of hair loss a few months down the line. I'm going to start taking Biotin this week and hope that helps. Hopefully the loss won't be too bad, I have really thick hair so I can afford to loose a bit of it !

Let me know how your appointments that are coming up go. I don't have any more before my op, so I'm now just sitting back and waiting !!! Only 44 days to go, not that I'm counting LOL !!!!

By the way, where in England was your grandmother from ? England is not such a big country, we could end up being related LOL !!!

Sorry, but I do tend to get carried away and waffle on a bit, I can talk for England LOL !!!

Look forward to hearing your updates.

Best wishes Angela.

You are funny about keeping your stomach in a jar. The only thing that would do for me is keep me from eating even more. That does not appeal to me at all! I've never heard of having a recording of your procedure. Here in America everyone is so afraid of lawsuits, they probably don't allow video taping--at least not to give to the patients.

My insurance will not pay for the procedure unless it is done at a "Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence" meaning they have to have certain standards and certain programs in place. I will only be in the hospital for two days, though. They send you home early in the US--too expensive to keep you longer.

I have been dealing with Hair loss for quite a while myself as I have been having thyroid issues. Even though I see alot of hair in the shower and bathroom sink, and I have less volume, I still have quite a bit left--no bald spots or anything. I did start to take Biotin (I was told to get a high dose (500mg, I think) and I have seen an improvement.

I wish I knew where my grandmother was from. A cousin did some geneolgy research a few years ago, but I don't believe she went back as far as that.

Let me know how things go for you!

Anne