Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stalling so soon????

Hi all. Today I'm exactly 3 weeks post op. I lost 28 lbs pre-op but I've only lost 12 lbs since surgery; not to mention the scale keeps going up one lb, then down 1. I'm so frustrated!!! I've been reading post after post where people are losing 25 to 30 lbs the first month post op, and here I am with 12. The scale has not moved in a week. Should I be concerned? Also, I am on stage 2 of mushies, and I can eat almost a whole (small) chili from Wendy's. It takes me at least 30 minutes, but I can almost eat the whole thing; and I seem to be hungry quite often. Talk about bummed!!!!!! Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this at all? :(

Oh, the lovely 3 week stall. The majority of us go through it. I had been warned by this board and by my doctor that I would have that stall and it would last 1-2 weeks. So I was expecting it, but it still threw me for a loop. Up until my stall I had lost 14 pounds and right after my stall (which lasted 12 days), the pounds just began to drop again. Now I've lost a total of 21 pounds since surgery on August 18th.

So chin up. This too shall pass very soon.

AniO

Hi Classiladi,

yea me too... I hit the stall and then some... it started to come off again slow but sure... try not to worry too much - although easier said than done!! And I agree it is really frustrating...

whilst I was in my stall I tried to focus on the positive stuff ... the NSV etc, that helped me get through it.

Good luck, and I am sure it will break soon x

I'm only two weeks out (tomorrow) and I've been stalled for days. My ticker isn't even accurate, I stalled at 12 pounds for a few days, lost 3 more pounds on the scale one day, and the next day was back to only a 12 pound loss. Haven't had the energy to change my ticker.

I know I'm not eating too much. I'm probably not eating enough. Worse than the stall is the lack of energy. A full day of work is really killing me. I'm sad.

I stalled in week 3 and then again in week 5. No relation to what I'm eating or how active I am. Seems like losing in spurts is normal.

Hi all. Today I'm exactly 3 weeks post op. I lost 28 lbs pre-op but I've only lost 12 lbs since surgery; not to mention the scale keeps going up one lb, then down 1. I'm so frustrated!!! I've been reading post after post where people are losing 25 to 30 lbs the first month post op, and here I am with 12. The scale has not moved in a week. Should I be concerned? Also, I am on stage 2 of mushies, and I can eat almost a whole (small) chili from Wendy's. It takes me at least 30 minutes, but I can almost eat the whole thing; and I seem to be hungry quite often. Talk about bummed!!!!!! Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this at all? :thumbup:

I am happy you put up this post. I could have written it myself. I am 3 weeks out yesterday and have only lost 16 lbs...like you, the scale is yoyo'ng up 1 or 2 then back down. I thought I had seen the last of an increase after surgery...

It is taking a while to get the hang of how to get in all of the Protein, then all of your Water, then exercise....each day I try to get at least 2 of them correct. I'm not sure if I am getting in enough Protein. Plus like you mentioned...I am hungry quite often.

This week I made my big pot of homemade chicken Soup trying to get back to what worked for me in the 1st two weeks. I am going to try to consume 70 grams of protein for the next couple of days to see if that is the key.

I know that even on a "bad" day post op I have reduced my caloric intake considerably from what it was pre op. I remember reading about the "stalls" when I was pre op, but I just didn't think it could happen to me. I notice the stalls seem to happen to sleever more so than RNYers

What keeps me going is I haven't seen anyone yet who hasn't lost a considerable amount in the long haul....So my friend...let's ride this out for the long haul!!! Good luck to you this week!!

Edited by Weigh8nomor

I have learned that everyone's journey is different but one thing is certain, a good one or two stalls are in everyone's future.

Myself, I lost on average 20-25 pounds per month until about a month ago. (Yes, my weight fell off very fast.) My scale slowed to a crawl but the inches still fell away. I only lost about 7 pounds in the past 4 weeks but the scale is moving again.

Don't be a slave to the numbers. Yes, easy for me to say but it's true. You lose some, your weight shifts, your clothes fit differently .. repeat :thumbup:

Thank you all for your responses!!!!!! It's good to know that I'm not in this alone. I was finding myself a bit "depressed" about the whole thing, but then I remembered that I have this wonderful tool and new lease on life. Yes, I am a bit frustrated with the scale, but I've come to realize it's certainly better then where I was!

I'm not exercising like I'm supposed to because I am tired and I too am not getting in enough Protein OR liquids. meat seems to be rather hard to get down. I feel like it constantly gets "stuck" in my esophagus and chest. So rather than entertaining that uncomfortable feeling, I turn to oatmeal or yogurt. :wink0: Drinking is just not appealing to me. Before my surgery I wasn't caught dead without a drink. I would drink at least 80 oz of fluids (mostly water) a day; however, post op, I no longer have that desire.

I know we are in the early stages, and we have alot to learn about our new stomachs, and alot of changes to make, so I'm going to be patient and thankful.

I love and appreciate you all. Thank you for coming to my rescue!

P.S. I haven't updated my ticker either. :thumbup:

Hi all,

Today marks my 1 month anniversary. I lost 26 lbs within 2.5 weeks after surgery. I've been stalled for a week or so. I've started to exercise again and I hope I will break the stall soon. It is frustrating.

I also understand what you are going through with liquids. After week 2 I struggled with Water, something I never had issues with. It gave me serious nausea. Even diet green tea from grocery store I used to drink religiously tasted really bad.

I started spinning again after week 3 and doctors consent but with the Water issue I got really scared of dehydration. I found out that the only way I can tolerate water is flavored so I have been using the propel with antioxidants.

food wise, I was able to have the AppleBees weight watchers 4 oz steak with Portobello but only 1/4 of mash and could not touch the broccoli. meats are really touch to swallow unless I take some serious time chewing. For Protein I find some Protein drinks at GNC with 50 grams as a supplement and sip on those for about 20 30 minutes.

I also find that in the morning it's alot harder to swallow and get the stuck feeling a little easier.

Hang in there..

C:thumbup1:

Edited by CarlosR

I have read lots of posts where the "stuck feeling" is reduced with sips of something warm in the morning.

I have learned that everyone's journey is different but one thing is certain, a good one or two stalls are in everyone's future.

Myself, I lost on average 20-25 pounds per month until about a month ago. (Yes, my weight fell off very fast.) My scale slowed to a crawl but the inches still fell away. I only lost about 7 pounds in the past 4 weeks but the scale is moving again.

Don't be a slave to the numbers. Yes, easy for me to say but it's true. You lose some, your weight shifts, your clothes fit differently .. repeat :w00t:

I seem to be on my second stall. The scale is only fluctuating by tenths of a pound. The good news is that I'm now down to size 12 jeans, though. It's SOOOO nice to go shopping in the 'normal sizes' instead of heading straight to pluses. But, I still have quite a ways to go, and like everybody else is talking about, I'm stalled for the second time.

The first stall turned out to not really be a stall--I was retaining Fluid prior to my period starting. I'm thinking this might be the same thing. I know I'm still not getting in even 1000 calories a day. More like about 750. I should be losing weight just sitting on my butt...which is largely what I've been having to do for the last two weeks. :mad:

I hurt my back. ;) I have chronic back issues dating clear back to my teens and a serious bike accident, followed by a serious car accident a year later, but I thought losing weight might have resolved them, or at least drastically improved them. But, on Tuesday, I tripped over the edge of an area rug, and felt something go *POP* in my lower back, followed by agonizing pain. So, I'm swallowing prescription pain medication like candy, and tomorrow I get to do an MRI at 7am.

More than anything, this ticks me off. It's interfering with my plans and goals.

If you're having trouble with solids, go back to liquids and mushies. I would not eat oatmeal.

It doesn't have any Protein in it and it's very high in carbs. Look for Greek yogurt, and you would be better off with cottage cheese if you like it. There is also a good recipe for the ricotta bake which is good, and higher in Protein.

When I first started out, I had to drink Protein drinks and stayed on mushies much longer because eating was hard. Eating with the sleeve is a learning process.

Try not to get discourged because stalls are completely normal.

I eat oatmeal once in a while, my doctor recommends it, I can only have a bit though with quite a bit of milk, even though it has carbs they are slow releasing good carbs and give me a good boost of energy especially before going onto the gym. We all have stalls. I too got very discouraged, but went to surgeon's yesterday and in toal los 38 pounds, 27 of them lost since surgery in 7 weeks. I know it's a bit slower then most people, but as someone said before we are all different. I know I need to down my carbs to lose a bit quicker, I do find it hard though, Ilove milk, and a drink quite a bit, I also have indulged in a few lemosn sugar free Cookies a couple of times, I'm definetly not buying them again!

Totally normal. My advice that I had to learn the hard way is two things:

1. Don't compare yourself to ANYONE! I used to compulsively look at Daisy and Tiffykins tickers over time and be annoyed that my pace wasn't as quickly as theirs.

2. Be nice to yourself. Be patient to yourself. If someone you loved had the surgery you had and was having the experiences you are having how would you treat them? You deserve the same kindnesses and patience.

Go you!!!!

Anna