Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What the heck is this now?

A few days ago, just after my fifth week post-op, I suddenly wanted food. All this time I couldn't care less about food, really and truly, even if it was what should have been a trigger food. Then a few days ago, bam, I WANT FOOD. I want it - I want salt and fat and sugar and carbs and I want to shove it in my face. I haven't thank goodness, I feel bad enough about my daily 2TBSP of PB, but I'm shocked and a little afraid by this intense "head" and "taste bud" hunger. What is going on? :001_tongue:

I have an intense high stress job and I literally live at work, recently yes, there have been some things that have upset me and increased my unhappiness with work. Before surgery, is this what was happening when I was self medicating with food? Is then when I was eating? I feel like I could chain-hoover salty greasy french fries till the cows come home. Of course, I have no idea whether I could physically eat one - don't want to find out - it's a slippery slope. I had a few teaspoons of mashed potato over the weekend and it went down alright but made me feel ucky.

I just want to put everything in my mouth!! I work 12 hr days and have maybe 2 hours to relax before I have to be asleep to do it all over again the next day. During those two hours I read or watch movies or write or chat with friends and family. I have a knitting project that is being sent to me, I drink herbal tea no sweetener.

If I could just have a pickle, it would satisfy I think - cold, crunchy, sharp, tangy. HELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPP!!:biggrin0:

Yeppers, that is head hunger. Totally stress-induced, and frustration ridden head hunger.

You can beat it, and it's gonna creep in here and there. But, you can distract yourself and it won't win if you don't let it.

I beat a lot of my head hunger with the band so I feel like I had the learning curve beat with the sleeve. I can tell you from my band experience that it does improve, and just keep healthy alternative Snacks at hand if you just absolutely have to have something.

We all go through times where it seems like we want everything and anything we can get our hands on. Like Tiff said, the best thing to do when that happens is to have a good healthy snack on hand so you don't cave to the junk food. One that works really good for me is almonds. I always keep them with me and they satisfy most of my cravings.

Stay strong Globetrotter! Those nasty false hungers can be a downfall but I know you can get past it. My brain has done the same thing to me a few times but so far I have been able to stay the course...I know you can too!

It's crazy how this happens, isn't it?

Me too!!!! I'm in my 6th week, and at about 5 weeks I stared experiencing the same thing.....strange. I keep some beef Jerky handy....It's nice and salty, and just a little bit seems to help me to be satisfied, plus it helps with my protiens. Also, I did start chewing gum last week (had not chewed any since surgery). When the head hunger gets too much, I grab a stick of gum and nosh on that for about 15 minutes, it does seem to help. For goodness sake, do not swallow it...

Thanks guys, I have jumped on the sugar free gum - also kinda hoping that the sorbitol in it gets things moving in my intestines since it has a reputation for that. I'm sure the monotony of my diet has something to do with it also; baked chicken, tuna, boiled meat, Peanut Butter, chocolate Protein Shakes. None of which I can season or cook myself. I think I've reached my limit and today I am going to brave a bite of pickle. Just one bite, see how I do, I just need to crunch something salty and tangy between my teeth! I have access to beef jerkey but, wouldn't that be difficult to digest?

i feel the same sometimes and tommorrow it's only 4 weeks since i went in for my sleeve. I had and urge for tortilla chips today (leftover from my baby's christening party) I had about a handful, no dips or anything, chewed them reall well, didn't feel sick afterwards but couldn't have any more than 3 or 4. At least I got over the craving, and it was only about 40 calories. I don't recommend doing this all the time though cause it could mess up w weight loss. It's just that I know that if you depriveyourself from something at some point you're bound to binge on it! But if you feel well enough i would go for the picke, just chew thoroughly before swallowing it!

I did it!!! I ate 3 bites of a pickle spear and it was GLORIOUS!! It was just what I needed - crunchy, salty, sour, tangy, cold, and sooooo gooood!! Compared to my pre-sleeve idea of satisfying a craving - an entire bag of reese's minis, loads of salty french fries, double scoops of ice cream - I'd say a pickle spear is alright!

I knew you could do it! Good going! Keep up the great work. . . and remember there will be many more days like this one. . keep pickles around! another good one is grape koolaid (sugarfree of course) pour it over crushed ice and eat that! Yummmm, or frozen yogurts. . .popsicles (sugarfree), frozen grapes. . . yummy good!!! Good luck

I was thinking the same thing. I am almost 8 weeks post op and for the last week or so have been hungry. Something I have not felt at all. For a moment there, I thought to myself, did I stretch my stomach out ALREADY? Which I know is silly but it is paranoid talking!

I do not deprive myself but when I feel hungry, I drink some Water and it subsides. I have noticed that when i do eat something like mashed potatoes I can eat more than the typical 4 oz. However, when I eat Protein like chicken, steak - it doesn't take much before I am full. Is this normal? Does it even make sense?

I can now drink 6 oz of a Protein shake where before I could barely get in the 4oz. Does that mean that my stomach now holds 6oz? According to my NUT, everything I measure should be 4 oz. Two weeks ago I went on vacation to disney and had a hard time gauging what 4 oz looked like and on 2 or 3 occasions I was horizontal on the couch because I had this icky feeling. I didn't feel good, felt really full... it was horrible. Needless to say, I won't be doing that again.

I am just so fearful of this hunger though... I didn't expect to feel it.

Well my eyes are definitely bigger than my stomach - probably literally. Today I was worried that I was going to "pig out" at lunch but I ended up eating about 2-3 ounces of steak strips and that's it. I don't know what this feeling is but it's not hunger like I once knew it. Maybe I'm looking for satiety, to be satisfied by my food, which is definitely not happening. I'm getting full yes, and feel a lot of things physically when I eat, but not satisfaction. I think I'm sad to be "dieting", I went over my calorie budget (600) today, 25 cals or so, and didn't even eat anything bad! Boiled egg, lunch meat, steak, chopped ham, cheese. =(

Well my eyes are definitely bigger than my stomach - probably literally. Today I was worried that I was going to "pig out" at lunch but I ended up eating about 2-3 ounces of steak strips and that's it. I don't know what this feeling is but it's not hunger like I once knew it. Maybe I'm looking for satiety, to be satisfied by my food, which is definitely not happening. I'm getting full yes, and feel a lot of things physically when I eat, but not satisfaction. I think I'm sad to be "dieting", I went over my calorie budget (600) today, 25 cals or so, and didn't even eat anything bad! Boiled egg, lunch meat, steak, chopped ham, cheese. =(

You cannot beat yourself up! 25 calories...big deal. It was GOOD stuff, not crap. I think the worry we're going to overeat, the sleeve isn't going to work and here we've gone and had part of our body removed, etc. is all part of that head issue we have to get past. It is okay to have a pickle!

I'm not a poster child for how to rock the sleeve as I haven't ramped up the exercise yet (which I really should, but I've always been fairly active) and I eat what I want (although I make sure I'm good on Protein and if I crave some dairy or green veggies I have them as they fit in my new tummy)...which may come to bite me on the bootay later...but it is working for me so far. I guess what I'm getting to is that it is too easy to worry about absolutely everything and beat ourselves up if we miss our mark of perfection. Life is too short for that. ENJOY your triumphs (and being satisfied with a few bites rather than large amounts is a triumph in my book).

You're doing great! Keep up the good work!!!