Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I did something stupid...help?

Yesterday, I checked out lots of threads on gum-chewing, because I really was wanting a piece of Orbit gum. I am one week post-op. I saw that it can cause air and that it's important not to swallow it because it can mess up a staple line. I decided to chew some. It felt nice to chew something after a week of only drinking. Even though I haven't really had any hunger, it still was a good thing.

Today, I had another piece of gum, and my child was driving me crazy in the grocery store, and somehow while speaking in my mom voice at him, I swallowed it. I felt it sliding down my throat, and literally tried to hack it back up, thinking back over all the threads that said "Be absolutely sure not to swallow it!" :scared0:

Now I'm nervous because I am so freshly post-op, and I'm feeling stupid because I shouldn't have done it in the first place. I'm definitely not trying it again, but is there something I should do? Just be aware, and report problems? Drink something hot and hope it goes through the sleeve faster? I can't decide what's best! Anyone have any thoughts?

I really don't know what to do. The only thing I would suggest, is to call your dr(if he's still open) or the E.R. and ask what you should be looking for as far as signs that something is wrong. I so hope it just passes through. Good luck.

I'd also say call the Dr.......just to be on the safe side. I hope it works out ok for you.

wow hope everything s ok. Keep us posted.

I've never heard a thing about the dangers of chewing gum. I didn't chew gum right after surgery but only because I didn't think of it. No one told me there were any dangers relating to chewing gum. Is this a joke?

I've never heard a thing about the dangers of chewing gum. I didn't chew gum right after surgery but only because I didn't think of it. No one told me there were any dangers relating to chewing gum. Is this a joke?

No, this not a joke. When my dietitian went over the nutritional guidelines it said in big bold letters DO NOT CHEW GUM or use candy-type hard mints. When chewing gum or sucking on mints, patients tend to swallow a lot of air. If the gum is ACCIDENTALLY swallowed, the pouch will have difficulty processing it.

So be carefull if you are going to chew gum.

For pete's sake! My doctor is so conservative and careful I can't believe he didn't mention this in any of our conversations or the literature he puts out.

How are you doing now? Did you get ahold of anyone and if so what did s/he say? I hope everything is ok and it will just slide right through! Hang in there.

Dansha not long before your surgery now. Good luck. Hope everything goes as well for you as it did for me. I'm extremely happy since getting the sleeve.

What did you Dr. end up doing? How are you feeling?

I was in so much pain from the gas that I was too scared to chew gum since it put more air in your stomack.. I lived on gas-x strips as my pain meds for the first week.

OMG!! I never heard that chewing gum was a no no either and i am a gumaholic! i've been chewing it non-stop for the past 3 post op weeks!

A.Walker-good luck and please let us know what your dr. says

Well, I'm a nurse, and so I talked to one of the surgeons at work who I know well, and he told me pretty much there's nothing he'd do about it now. He said as long as it makes it past your esophagus, it will nearly always eventually get through. He did tell me if I felt any sharp pains, or even anything weird to let him know. I haven't had any problems, but I can tell you that I am absolutely not doing that again!

Thanks everyone for the replies. I was really worried, but now I just know better!

Big sigh of relief! Hope you don't encounter any repercutions from swallowing your gum. But you've Enlightened many of us about something we were totally unaware of. Thanks.