Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok I am gonna rant for a moment I am happy for those people who loose weight on the show but........... Ok where do I begin if I did not have to pay bills and just could work out all day I could drop the weight like that too! Then comes the lifestyle change of life that a successful journey has they all gain a lot of weight back because unless you are a personal trainer or too rich you don't have to work its not realistic. Second a lot of the girls on there was wearing some type of corsit the way their boobs was sticking out ove the slim abs and curves that does not help uneducated people who watch the show. Then look at sam he reached his goal weight the competition the score the percentage of excess weight that you lost for u to win the competition.

It is a great show and motivating but unrealistic. They work out like 8 hours a day it becomes their "job" and they lose it fast which is awesome but I have also seen the people that were on the show a few years ago and a lot of them can't keep it off. When going back to the reality of life, jobs, family etc it just isn't feasible and old habits die hard.

I know lately every time i see a jenny craig or nutrisystem commercial I think to myself that maybe I should give it one last shot at losing weight and save myself a some major cash, then it hits me that I have tried them all and sure I could probably lose about half of what I really want to lose and be semi satisfied but would I ever be able to keep it off? It hasn't seemed to work the last 7 years so I am going forward with the surgery, god willing.

Edited by mp8btpc
I hate when i use double negatives :)

I agree. While I enjoy watching the show to an extent, I honestly feel like they are just exploiting fat people, and pushing their products. I feel the same way about Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig. It's all about marketing and their products.

I was highly disgusted when they made this year's contestants weigh-in in front of their peers, family, friends, and even perfect strangers that just wanted a chance to get on TV. It sickened me. I just kept thinking to myself "great not only have these people been fat most of their lives, and had to live with the shame of obesity, now you want them to get up in front of their family, friends, and millions of TV viewers topless or with a little sports bra and spandex on and step on a scale, way to go BL producers".

I read somewhere last year that about 60% of the contestants gain back their weight plus some.

Even the guys had on some sort of bodyshaper. You could see it under their shirts at just the right angle.

It is unrealistic, and while some of them may be able to keep it off, and make a true lifestyle change. The true statistics behind their methods are not in the contestant's favor.

I already told myself I'm not watching the new show that Jillian has coming soon. I really dislike her. I hate how she berates the contestants then attempts to be miss nice counselor when she sees them breaking down, and tries to soothe their emotional woes. Her little speeches on self-worth and self-love make me want to hurl. I did watch her on the day time show The Doctors a couple days a go, and I wanted to strangle her. And, her "products" are not that fabulous, and in my opinion no different that Metabolife, and other faddy type crap that she's whoring out to America's obese. Sorry, I really, really dislike her LOL. She's also admitted that she refuses to get pregnant because she's not willing to screw up her figure? Now, I haven't confirmed that yet, my husband was telling me he read an article about it and had her quoted. It could have come from US Weekly for all I know, but she just makes my skin crawl. I don't care that she doesn't want babies, but to say "it's about my looks" what does that tell Americans and especially teenage girls that look up to her.

End Rant.

I was really glad to see this thread today. I am hoping to be sleeved before the end of June and I really had mixed emotions watching the finale last night. On one hand, I was impressed by the amazing weight losses, buy, on the other hand, I found myself feeling guilty and ashamed about seeking out WLS -- after all, if they could do it, why can't I? Of course, I realize that The Biggest Loser conditions are not realistic for most Americans. After all, not everyone can make working out and weight loss a full time job. Ultimately, I know that the sleeve is the tool that I need to make my journey, but I still wonder if there will be some people out there who say, "Why didn't he do it the old fashioned way - with just diet and exercise?"

That 60% figure is very interesting. It would be great to find out the true numbers behind the show.

Tiffykins - once again, I admire one of your posts. I've never thought about the exploitation involved in this show. It seems like the fatter the contestant is, the more they are encouraged to bare it all in front of the cameras. It definitely causes me to think about whether I want to continue watching this show.

Thanks for listening.

Brian

I agree. While I enjoy watching the show to an extent, I honestly feel like they are just exploiting fat people, and pushing their products. I feel the same way about Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig. It's all about marketing and their products.

I was highly disgusted when they made this year's contestants weigh-in in front of their peers, family, friends, and even perfect strangers that just wanted a chance to get on TV. It sickened me. I just kept thinking to myself "great not only have these people been fat most of their lives, and had to live with the shame of obesity, now you want them to get up in front of their family, friends, and millions of TV viewers topless or with a little sports bra and spandex on and step on a scale, way to go BL producers".

I read somewhere last year that about 60% of the contestants gain back their weight plus some.

Even the guys had on some sort of bodyshaper. You could see it under their shirts at just the right angle.

It is unrealistic, and while some of them may be able to keep it off, and make a true lifestyle change. The true statistics behind their methods are not in the contestant's favor.

I already told myself I'm not watching the new show that Jillian has coming soon. I really dislike her. I hate how she berates the contestants then attempts to be miss nice counselor when she sees them breaking down, and tries to soothe their emotional woes. Her little speeches on self-worth and self-love make me want to hurl. I did watch her on the day time show The Doctors a couple days a go, and I wanted to strangle her. And, her "products" are not that fabulous, and in my opinion no different that Metabolife, and other faddy type crap that she's whoring out to America's obese. Sorry, I really, really dislike her LOL. She's also admitted that she refuses to get pregnant because she's not willing to screw up her figure? Now, I haven't confirmed that yet, my husband was telling me he read an article about it and had her quoted. It could have come from US Weekly for all I know, but she just makes my skin crawl. I don't care that she doesn't want babies, but to say "it's about my looks" what does that tell Americans and especially teenage girls that look up to her.

End Rant.

I love you, Tiffykins! :scared0:

They definitely use some Spanx or something to hide the loose skin. This is why about midway through the season they start doing weigh-ins with the shirt on. As we all know with any rapid weight loss, loose skin is an issue. When you look at the big picture as Tiff outlined above, it really makes me even more grateful I made this choice for WLS. For achieving my goals in a more realistic manner (I don't have 4-8 hours a day to go to the gym) and for keeping it off long term.

Hahahaha Swiftflow, you are so right. . .I have a darn time right now doing a workout, never mind 4-8 hours a day. . . must share a funny though, started Water aerobics yesterday and got into that pool thinking I looked pretty good in my one piece, ha! got in there started bouncing and so did all the loose skin! every jump i made, so did that loose stomach skin, floating all over the place in that one piece! It was so funny to me, just am really glad that no one else could actually see it!!! hehehehe

With the possible exception of Ali, who's making a living hawking Biggest Loser products since the show and thus is probably able to continue her hours-long workouts every day and earn a living for doing it, every single contestant you see after the show, in subsequent seasons or whatever, has put on weight... some just enough to notice, some considerably. I would love to know how many of those people who stay out of the spotlight after the show do go on to have WLS... I know my surgeon has operated on a former BL contestant, but of course because of privacy laws, he can't say who. I'd LOVE to know.

i also think it is unreal, plus they edit a bunch of things we don't get to see. they only show us the pretty stuff.....it's nice to see how people lose weight and it is motivating besides the fact we know that experience is pretty unreal.

I agree with Tiffykins. Jillian is absolutely annoying. I did find Shay inspirational. She did that subway challenge and in 7 months lost 52 pounds since her season. It just seems so much more realistic of a number and she did it in real life. Its people like here that make me watch it. Oh, and UNC. I just absolutely adored that man this season.