Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WOOOWHOOO!!! One Week Out!

Hi everyone it is one week today that I had my surgery with Dr. Aceves. My experience was a wonderful one. First I met a great sleeve sister there....SHOUT OUT TO YOU GRACE, she up with me walking after each tremor that would wake us up at 2am. The staff took outstanding care of me. I did have one small problem from the spinal block they give you some people have a problem with peeing after surgery. Well I was getting IV fluids so by 8pm wow I had to pee but no such luck. The nurse did not speak english but I got it across to her my problem. She then went and found another nurse somewhere in the hospital that did speak english to tell me they were going to straight cath me. Kind of odd to say I have had a few caths but the nurse did a great job with minimal pain to me. Well at 2am I had a full bladder again and still could not pee. They gave me a heating pad and called Dr. Campos and gave me something to counteract what ever was in the spinal block that can cause this problem and whala 4am guess who was peeing and the happiest girl in Mexicali. Other then that no problems I was up and walking less then and hour after my surgery and kept going till they let me go home, which was one day early because I was doing so well, plus living only a little over an hour away.

So now it has been a week and I am still having no issues. All fluids going down easy adding Protein to everything I am drinking so I think I am getting right around 100grams Protein a day. My daughter made me popsicles with protein add and Jello cups with protein. (she missed her mom). No hunger but sure looking forward to going to full liquid stage I miss my Muscle Milk Light Protein shakes. I still walk everyday and enjoy seeing the scale still moving down. (lost 84lbs with Lap-band) My energy level is very high waking up around 6am and can not get back to sleep so getting a lot more things done in the day the I normally do.

Ok enough is enough thanks for reading. For all of you getting ready to go exercise and diet before going I believe made a huge impact on my recovery. Plus having a FABULOUS team in Mexicali.

wow Kathy,

I'm so happy for you. It seems that some really struggle and some just bounce right back. I'm hoping to be a bouncy one.

Keep it up

Stacey

Yay Kathy I am so glad that it is going so smoothly! I had the pee thing too, but not so extreme, I'm glad I got to avoid the cath, that would've freaked me out!!!! Keep posting lady its good to hear just how well you're doing.

Good to hear you are doing well. It was great meeting you in Mexicali! I too am so excited to get to the full liquids stage with Protein Shakes. You did so much better than I did with the Protein these first 10 days but I figure it's for such a short time so I just stopped worrying about it...a big burden lifted for sure. The weight is just dropping off and I'm so glad I did this. Take care, Ruth

Way to go Kathy and Ruth! It is good to hear you both had a positive experience despite the earthquake aftershocks. My family is very worried about the fact they had an earthquake and that I will be sleeved there April 27th. I shall tell them your galant stories of walking the halls during aftershocks!

Wendy

WTG girls, you are both doing terrific. Congratulations on surviving the earthquake! How fun to have met each other to share the journey.

Ruth you have lost 14lbs that is wonderful plus you get to have your Protein shakes that is today or tomorrow right. I have had problems with acid but Dr. Campos upped my Nexium to 2x a day and that seems to be working but other then that it has been great. It was so nice to meet you down there and thanks for all the visits and support it really is so wonderful when you are alone to have someone care that much. Will see ya on the full liquid side enjoy!!

And to anyone reading this pre op....the Syntrax Matrix 5.0 that you can have at day 6 is outstanding. I have the chocolate and it is one of the best tasting Proteins I have ever had.

Wow, can't tell you ladies how great it is to read all of your posts! My date is May 10th and although I want to fast forward to that date, I am nervous! My BMI is at 33 and I wanted to do the pre-op diet. Nina told me that they would not recommend it because if I lose too much I would not be able to have the surgery so I am just maintaining. The earthquakes scare me a bit but it appears that the hospital is constructed to pretty high standards if the structure itself was not damaged (sorry, I am a civil engineer so yeah, I think about these things!).

It is still hard to believe that I will finally have a tool that will work for me. I have been thin before... In HIGH SCHOOL! I can say that I have always been one to lose weight when I am stressed.... Until I got into my mid 30s, now it is just the opposite so obviously that "diet plan" is not working for me anymore.

A few questions as I get ready for this awesome experience:

Did you just use the hospital gown or did you bring jammies (nightgown or shirt and pants)?

Do they give you bottled Water (I have traveled to Mexico and Jordan before, typically bottled Water is the custom)?

Any shopping right around the hotel and if so, did you fee safe walking on the street?

If you took a companion, was the room comfy for them to sleep (my Mom is going with me, she is 4'11" and about a buck ten so she does not much but want to make sure she will be comfy)?

When do you get to take a shower after surgery?

Do you wear a compression garment and if so for how long?

Did anyone need a wheelchair at the airport? This concerns me a bit, after three days in the hospital I would hope I was good enough to walk on my own.

CONGRATS to everyone on their success, I can't wait to be one of you!!!

SISTA!! I can't tell you how awesome I think you are. When I told my pals about walking the halls, covered in pink iodine, with blue teeth and no bra...they almost pee'd thier pants....I told them I have a witness!! I am so grateful you were there along the way to share the "one day before me" stories...so I knew what to prep for.

On the one week anniversary of my surgery I attended a black tie fuctions...and I swear the only thing that hurt...were my feet in those damn heels!

YOU TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY ROCK!!

Your sleeve sista.....

Angie--

Here's my reply to your questions-

• Most of the rooms have a comfy couch your tiny Mom can sleep on...just confirm with Nina that you Mom may stay over
  • The hotel is nice...and comfy and the resturants there are fine...Mexico in general is not super super safe...but the hotel and hosptial area are fine.
  • Pack comfy two piece jammies..they will check your incisions and it's easier to pull yoru top up a bit and your pants down a bit...
  • Pack flip flops or something to slip into when you walk up and down the halls and around the hospital
  • My surgery was Friday, I took my first shower Sunday morning
  • I had compression bandages on my legs for surgery they were removed Saturday night (I think Kathy's came of sooner)
  • It's worth calling your airline and saying you may need a wheelchair. I only used it to get through security. The lines were really long and it helped me get through quicker. I walked the rest of the way. You will need help lifting your bag in the overhead...unless you check your bag.
  • I brought my own heating pad...it helps with gas pains...they have them but I am glad I brought my own,
  • Ask for a fan when you get to your room...you will need it.

Wishing you all the best in this great adventure

Congratulations guys! You sound so excited and upbeat. I hope I can feel that way post-op.

Kathy, can you elaborate on why you think the exercising before surgery helped you. I've already started making some pre-op diet changes and starting to exercise two months before my expected surgery date. I know I need to ease into this pre-op diet thing, but not really sure where I'm going with the exercise. I'm sure anything I do will benefit me, but if you or anyone else has some thoughts about specific pre-op exercises that will help with recovery, I'd love to hear them.

Grace,

Why were your teeth blue?:001_tongue:

Dr. Aceves has you drink apple juice with blue dye to make sure you don't have a leak....I was pink from the idodine and my teeth, lips and gums were blue....I looked like a crazy smurf!

Wtg Kathy! This is Debbie. Glad to hear you are doing so well. I like Ruth, have had a hard time the first 10 days getting the amount of liquid and Protein in. Today I started the full liquid stage and have all ready gotten in way more Protein than any other day. On the plus side I have lost 18 lbs, and if you count the 12 I lost on the pre-op diet, I am down 30, so I am happy. I will have to say, I do not miss being woke up in the middle of the night to the earth moving, although it has made for a very interesting story. Keep up the good work girls!

Debbie