Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Flonase or Nasonex anyone post-op

I am having horrific allergies and sinus issues. I normally have zero issue resolving these problems with Zyrtec once a day. However, for the last 5 days, I have been miserable.

It started Thursday night just a tickle in my throat and itchy eyes. Started taking meds immediately. By Saturday, BAM, full blown sinus drainage, cough, ickiness, fever. Fever has been gone since Sunday night.

Anyways, I am going to call my PCP tomorrow for an appointment. But, I wanted to find out anyone's personal experience post-op with Flonase or Nasonex. I used both of these in the past pre-op, and I know our stomachs have zero medication restrictions. My sleeve fills up with mucus which doesn't move quickly thus causing me discomfort with eating anything of substance for the last 3 days. I don't want to cause any further issues because inevitably nasal spray will run down the back of my throat just like the nasty sinus drainage.

I just want to know if anyone has any experience using either of these products post-op?

Hey Tiffy! I have been using Flonase since right after surgery for sinus/allergy issues! If you spray it in right (your PCP or pharmacist should explain how to do it correctly) you should be fine. I have had absolutely no issues, and find it really helpful this time of year! The only bad-ish thing about flonase is it smells strongly like roses for about 30 second after you spray it. Nasonex and Rhinocort gave me bloody noses, but my mom (a VSG patient) uses Nasonex daily. Hope you find something that works for you!

Hey Tiffy! I have been using Flonase since right after surgery for sinus/allergy issues! If you spray it in right (your PCP or pharmacist should explain how to do it correctly) you should be fine. I have had absolutely no issues, and find it really helpful this time of year! The only bad-ish thing about flonase is it smells strongly like roses for about 30 second after you spray it. Nasonex and Rhinocort gave me bloody noses, but my mom (a VSG patient) uses Nasonex daily. Hope you find something that works for you!

Thank you so much. I've used both pre-op, but was holding out on getting a new RX.

I'm so glad to hear you haven't had any issue with using it post-op.

I've been using Flonase since I got home from the hospital (3/27) and have not had any problems. The benefit I get from Flonase is SO much better than what I get from Claritin or Zyrtec, so I definitely recommend it.

Flonase gave me nose bleeds. Isn't that funny that I can use Nasonex without nose bleeds, and Pink Jewels got nose bleeds from that.

Tiff I have been suffering with a sinus condition for a while now and I bought myself a netty pot and I use it religiously, (before I go to bed & in the morning after brushing my teeth). Here is what I add to the luke warm Water that I fill the netty pot with and a glass I gargle with. I first boil some Water then adjust the temperature by adding in some cold water to bring it to a luke warm temp. I add a pinch or so of sea salt and a dropper full of colloidal silver (it is anti-fungal/viral/bacterial), I don't taste anything but gargle first. Then I take the netty pot with same solution in it and run it through each nostril. I am able to go without nasal spray day and night. Before that I was using Rhinocort. Naxonex and Flonase did not work for me. There is a machine you can buy but it's alot more expensive than a netty pot. It is a really good contraption though to thoroughly cleanse the sinus cavities using the same solution mx I gave you. Here is a video ...[nomedia=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YrG_KJJpC8]YouTube- SinuPulse Elite - Advanced Nasal Sinus Irrigation System[/nomedia] Here is a link where you may purchase but you can search yourself for the best purchase price-http://www.natlallergy.com/prod/1761/sinupulse-elite-sinus-irrigation-system-for-nasal-washing-and-misting.html?sid=GOOGLE&eid=GOOGLE&tid=g_csrs_p_sinupulse_system&gclid=CNTk_snUhqECFV1-5Qodw12Jyw

This is the best antimicrobial etc...silver I think. It is the one I use and this is the link where I found it to be sold at the lowest price. I get 3 bottles at a time.

Invision Intl - Silver 100 - Optimal Health Concepts

The first time it came to me with two bottles broken. I called the guy and he sent them to me over night no problem. I get the 2oz dropper bottles.

In any case I hope you find a good solution that will work for you. -Lis

I use Flonase (generic) every day. Aside from the smell (which, up your nose, is pretty strong!) it's great. It REALLY helps with my allergies; that plus Claritin and I can pretty much ignore allergy season (when before it used to just kill me).

Even so, I'm considering getting allergy shots. I'd love to be done with allergies!

Lan2K/Tiffy

I second the neti-pot in addition to a nose spray. I don't use anything fancy though, just the packets that it came with. It is weird at first but has helped a lot with my allergies!!

Tiffy,

I'm using Nasonex, Zyrtec and a Singulair daily with no problems and my allergies are finally under control this spring. I've wanted to try a nettipot though! Good luck and hope you feel better soon!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I tried a netti pot, and damn near drown myself. It was not pretty, I am not coordinated enough to do all that to myself. I'm not exaggerating, I had people walk me through the process, I watched a "how to" video, seriously, I can not do the netti pot thing. It's far too dangerous for me to even attempt again.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I tried a netti pot, and damn near drown myself. It was not pretty, I am not coordinated enough to do all that to myself. I'm not exaggerating, I had people walk me through the process, I watched a "how to" video, seriously, I can not do the netti pot thing. It's far too dangerous for me to even attempt again.

I Laughed Out Loud just now Tiffy... I know what it's like, (the neti only helps some), both my mother and I have sinus stuff going and its becoming more than just seasonal. I'm going to see if my mother will give the neti pot a go. :) I hope you'll find relief. Let me know how you do with whatever works for you.

Lol! Check this out--so much easier to use: [nomedia=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88RUnc8AQFc]YouTube- Nasaline - Nasal Irrigator[/nomedia] Then you can get it on Amazon for 11 bucks.

You should consider allergy shots if your allergies are that bad. The shots are apparently not too fun, but they WORK.

I agree. I went through extensive allergy testing as a child in the early, early 80's. You know where they inject different stuff just under the skin on the back of patients. Yeah, that was not pleasant.

I went through some shots, but I couldn't handle it. I swore that I was never going to endure that again.

My allergies usually are not troublesome. This year is just worse than the last 5 years. I'm feeling better since I've been taking my Zyrtec around 6:30 a.m. and not going outside for at least an hour.

I have been so very busy the last couple of days that I haven't called my PCP. I'll call 'em tomorrow, and check on getting in to see him for Flonase.

Thanks for all of y'alls help! ! !