Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Regular" Medications after surgery???

I have been looking for this? Can't seem to find it. :)

How long until you could take your regular medications? I am getting a new Rx for meds I can crush. I am very concerned about this, it took me a while to "find" the right meds. I take a time release (once a day) I want to start back as soon as possible. What did your surgeon tell you?

D.

I took prilosec after my first week post op. I've never crushed any of my meds. I take several scripts now, and have never had any problems swallowing them. I even had to take horse pill type antibiotics at 6 weeks when I had an abscess. (I did break those in half, but didn't crush) Someone else might want to chime in, but thats just how it works for me. Also a note: be careful about crushing any time release type pills, from what I understand you need to swallow them whole for them to work as they are supposed to.

I crushed my meds only one day. that was enough!!

My doc said I could swallow them, so I did. Like Shontel, I even had to take osme big horse piss... no problems..

And she's right about the time released... they are NOT to be crushed.

G'luck

My doctor told me to wait a month post-op to begin swallowing pills again, and to begin by breaking them in half (the horse pills). It was hard for me because crushing the pills was making me so nauseas, and I didn't realize it until I started taking them whole again...such a relief!! Good luck!

This is interesting. At my meeting with the nutritionist she told us that after we are sleeved we would never be able to swallow a pill larger than an M&M again. That sounded weird to me, and it looks like she was wrong. Good to know, I thought I would be crushing Advils for the rest of my life.

I am five days out of surgery, feeling fine and I have been taking my regular medication - 4 different pills - every day without a problem.

Do not worry, this was all so much easier than I feared it would be.