Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What vitamins are you taking post op?

I want to be prepared to talk to my surgeon at my post op visit. I currently am taking

Flinestones multi

prevacid solutab

And will be adding these later this week:

Iron

B12

vit D

Should I take a sublingual b12? My b12 is bigger...

What about Calcium?

Thanks for any advice!!

I take the GNC Solotron chewable with bioavailable Iron twice daily. They are fabulous, and not expensive. I get a 45 day supply for 15 bucks. I hated Flintstones, and the adult gummyvites I tried did not have Iron.

As far as B12, I do take a sublingual B12 once daily that I pick up from Wal-Mart.

It's advised heavily if you are on a PPI such as Nexium, Prilosec, or Protonix that you need to take calcium citrate, not Calcium carbonate.

I get my liquid calcium citrate from vitacost.com. I've tried a few flavors, none of them are fabulous, but I'd rather drink 1oz of calcium citrate than chew up or swallow 3-6 capsules/chewables to get in my calcium. Also, with Calcium citrate, I know there is a rule about taking it with other Vitamins and supplements, but do not recall the specifics. I take mine at night with nothing else to avoid any issues.

My calcium citrate has Vitamin D and magnesium as well for best absorption.

FYI - the Calcet Lemon Creamy Bites are pretty good. I did not like any of the chewable calcium citrate products. I don't really like swallowing horse pills either. I have only found them online, but they are like little pieces of lemon pound cake with 500mg calcium citrate (well, more like lemon pound cake batter - but tasty either way). The only problem I have with them is that I need two a day and they are 40 calories each. However, I like them and use them as a sweet treat and get my Calcium too.

To answer original question - I take adult Gummy vits daily. I also take a chewable Iron a couple times a week and they above calcium. My labs at 3 months post-op where perfect so I guess I'm good.

I too use the Calcets but hate that they are 7 carbs and 40 calories each, but better than NOT taking Calcium. I HATE my Bariatric Advantage chewable Vitamin I am supposed to take twice a day, but they make me gag. I have tried both berry and lemon. Too chalky and cardboardy. I switched to flintsone multi just to get some good in me. I take a B12 that dissolves under my tongue once a day.

I would LOVE if you guys could tell me about the Gummy Vitamins. Do they taste like gummy bears? What is the brand and do they have the same nutrition as the others? Do you take them once or twice? If I could find something I like, I would be so happy!

One-a-day makes an adult Gummy (which I have purchased), but I often just take my kids' gummy vitamins. They don't have Iron, so that's why I take a chewable iron a couple times a week.

You should also spread your Calcium thru out the day - you can only absorb about 500mg at a time. You also don't want to take your calicum the same time as your iron (whether in a multi Vitamin or separately). I usually start my day with my gummy Vitamins and 2 petite Citracal. In the afternoon, I will have a Calcet lemon bite for a snack. I usually sneak the iron tablet after dinner - iron is best absorbed with food during the digestive process. I hope this helps.

My doctor sells all the bariatric Vitamins and minerals at his office . . . these are especially made for bariatric patients, the brand is called Bariatric Advantage. . . I'm taking 2 vitabands, 2 calcium citrate, 1 ferrous fumarate, and 1 B12 sublingual 1xper week. . .much cheaper then GNC prices but a bit more pricey then Costos or Sams

Edited by thinoneday

Make sure you take calcium citrate is all I can say. I had my labs drawn and I take calcium citrate because Calcium carbonate is not absorbed. My calcium was still low!

I am going to order some of the liquid and take that as well as my chewables. I have the beginnings of osteoporosis, according to my bone density test. I am also anemic, so I have added Iron to the rest of all the junk I take.

Vit D 3, multi bariatric Vitamins, vit B12 sublingual Biotin, protonix, flaxseed oil, and I am sure there is more I can't think of right now!

I didn't know that about the calcium! I am definitely going by the store on my way home today.

What brand of Gummy Mvit are people taking?