Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Some Generic Post Op observations

Hi all... Some weird things I would like to report (5-days post-op):

1) Keep dreaming about eating stuff I am not supposed to eat. Waking up in a panic thinking I screwed up.

2) Head hunger is rough. I am in an all inclusive resort right now, all alone, and I could order anything I want from room service... ARGH....

3) I have a constant headache. Not bad, but constant. I think it is due to lack of food.< /p>

4) I haven't seen the scale move too much. I have lost a total of 5 lbs, but haven't lost anything the last few days. I am using a different scale, so not sure how accurate it is.

5) My teeth and tongue feel weird. I am starting to notice a bit of a tastebud change, but nothing hugely noticeable yet.

6) I had an incident occur last night... I ordered my Soup from room service at 7:30pm and it didn't arrive until 11:30pm. When it did arrive, it was purreed instead of strained. By 12:00 I just called room service and told them to forget about it. Yeah, I know. it stinks and I spoke to the manager about that... the thing that was kinda weird is that I was all choked up about it and cried a little bit. I am NOT the type to do stuff like that over something minor. I wasn't even hungry and had plenty of juice. BUT this brings to light how your mental state is so closely tied to your physical state. Those of you that have been depressed post op should understand that your mind is reacting to the deprivation of your body. I thought it was an interesting observation...

7) I am getting a slew of advice on food from people.

8) Drain is out since Wednesday. Finally able to take a full shower today!

9) Reading this forum has given me a lot of expectations (was reading the NSV thread- it rocked!). I need to balance those expectations with how my body and my particular experience is going. I may no lose 100 lbs in 6 months... I have to understand this is a lifetime change and not a quick fix.

10) I still feel exactly the same as I did before. This surgery did not change me. I can imagine that once I am having to explicitly manage "eating" instead of just drinking, that I may see more of an effect, but this is just another tool right now.

Anyway, these are just some observations that I thought would be good to share.. Man, those food dreams are weird, too!!!

Later y'all,

Aimee

Just know that everything you're experiencing is normal. The weight will come off. Right now, you're retaining Water, it'll drop.

I still have crazy food dreams. I had one last night as a matter of fact. Woke up shaking my head, and trying to figure out what the heck was going on.

Keep sipping, and walking.

Yep, this all sounds "normal" to me too. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, follow the recommended eating patterns, and you will be amazed as the weight drops off.

Congratulations and welcome to the loser's bench.

Hello Aimee,

I was particularly touched by your post this morning. I'm in the stage of losing weight required before I get to see the nutritionist and case manager who will then schedule my surgery. I read everything on here so that I can learn from the experiences of others, but in the end we each have our own journey. Your honesty and evaluation of your emotions is something that often isn't posted. I'm going to follow your journey with interest and appreciation. Soon you'll be home in your own familiar surroundings. You're going to do great!

Thanks for sharing. This is such a great post. It really brings to life that we each have an individual journey and knowledge can be gained from each person's experience. This forum is great.

I know that each day will bring new discoveries and new experiences for you. It really is a new life. It's like being a baby again and having to re-learn all pre-conceived notions- right down to eating baby food sometimes! Each day will get a wee little bit better. Congrats on being on the loser side! :biggrin0:

Thanks everyone! Here are some Day 8 post op observation:

1) Still getting unsolicited food advice! Lol

2) I went to have my hair and nails done the day before I left D.R.. I spent like 5 hrs at the salon. Sometimes sitting in akward way for things like getting my hair washed. Pretty basic chairs, too. So anyway, the top of my butt was hurting some sitting akwardly. It has been about 3 days and I still feel it. Same thing for an ouwie(sp) that I got during the plane ride (banged my hand). So, the observation is relating to avoiding hurting yourself including banging your self against stuff because your wound are healing slower due to lack of nutrition I presume.

3) I am starting to feel very tired. I am going to start taking Protein stuff today.

4) Headaches still constant (annoying not severe), but I anticipate that once I up the Protein this will resolve itself.

Later!

Wisconsin_Girl,

I have to share some post-op dreams from my FIRST weight loss surgery....

The first one was horrible....I had a nightmare that a little girl was being tortured...like an old time martyr..and I was being pampered at the same time. Very weird but I remember waking up with my heart racing thinking about how I was going to get her away from the guys that were torturing her.

Second dream was more pleasant....I was returning to work the next day and I dreamed that when I got there every cupboard that I opened had Oreos in it. Not the packages...just the Cookies themselves, stacked in neat stacks and rows...lol..Oreos for days....and I couldn't have ANY!

No dreams ...good or bad, with this surgery.

Hang in there!

Thanks everyone! Here are some Day 8 post op observation:

1) Still getting unsolicited food advice! Lol

2) I went to have my hair and nails done the day before I left D.R.. I spent like 5 hrs at the salon. Sometimes sitting in akward way for things like getting my hair washed. Pretty basic chairs, too. So anyway, the top of my butt was hurting some sitting akwardly. It has been about 3 days and I still feel it. Same thing for an ouwie(sp) that I got during the plane ride (banged my hand). So, the observation is relating to avoiding hurting yourself including banging your self against stuff because your wound are healing slower due to lack of nutrition I presume.

3) I am starting to feel very tired. I am going to start taking Protein stuff today.

4) Headaches still constant (annoying not severe), but I anticipate that once I up the Protein this will resolve itself.

Later!

Yes, I agree with you about the protein deficit and fatigue. As soon as you can tolerate it, start getting in the protein. I did not really reach 70 grams a day until after 2 weeks. I tried Isopure early on but it was really isopuke. So I added a little to my Vitamin Water that I was sipping, and could tolerate that, to get in a little protein at least. Once you are getting in 70 gms daily your energy level will go way up. ...Also gotta get the fluids...very, very essential.

Keep on working at it, you are doing great!

I don't know how you are doing with the headaches but you may need to drink some sports drink. The calories in a few ounces won't hurt. You may need a little more calories in your post op diet.

As far as the food advice. Just tell people "Thank you for your concern but I am following my surgeons instructions." if they are rude or pushy tell them to beat it. It is your body.

Congrats on your new tummy!

Post Op Day 11 observations:

1) First day I tried to cheat. Ate one pot sticker (and was full off that one mind you) but the sleeve said "NO". While I am not (yet) experiencing nausea or vomiting, I had (and still am) the runs almost immediately following the food. I also feel slightly light headed. I realize after the initial few bites that I honestly would have been happy with juice or broth! Glad that it went down bad so that I don't feel compelled to cheat again! Well, ok I will feel the yen, but this mild discomfort is really enough for me to want to stick to the plan.

2)This is a repeat, but everything keeps on reminding me how much of a mental game this all is. My body is not hungry, but my mind is yanking my chain!

Further observations coming soon.

I won't scream at you, but no more cheats this early out. Let your baby tummy heal up properly. Just for future reference, I am almost 7 months out, and can eat 3 small pot stickers at TGI Fridays.

Glad you are getting in your Protein, do you want me to mail those samples I have to you now? I still have them and can probably get them out in the mail next week. They're just cluttering up my junk drawer, and they don't expire until mid-2010.

Go ahead and scream at me, I deserve it. Honestly, that was just stupid of me! :scared0:

OK. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?

If you don't want a leak that could cost you dearly, stick with the program! We all love ya anyway. Just be good now!

Yes ma'am. Keeping it all on the straight and narrow.

Hope you future sleevers learn from this and to date this has been really easy for me. So, don't repeat my stupidity. Keep posted for future observations/revelations.