Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question regarding intake amount

Hey guys! Its me again with yet another question! Hope you dont mind!

I am now on mushie foods and im finding that I am completely stuffed after 4 tsps or so! How am I ever going to get adequate caloric intake? I mean due to the nature of my job (a nurse), I cant just eat all day long. Any suggestions, I am only eating Proteins, I dont even want to get into the carb thing. My surgeon told me to maximize the next six months, so that is what I am going to do. When I drink Protein Drinks, I get some carbs from them but not many. I do not want my body to go into starvation mode.:thumbup:

Help Please! LOL

I am there with you Shanda, in fact today I wondered the same thing and almost had a panic attack. I hope your questions generate some helpful answers.

I am there with you Shanda, in fact today I wondered the same thing and almost had a panic attack. I hope your questions generate some helpful answers.

Glad to know that im not the only one who feels that way. I just dont know how im going to get my calories up there. Hopefully, the more experienced sleevers will know what to tell us. LOL

I had a really hard time switching over in the beginning. It was really hard to figure out how much to eat.

You may have to eat more often in the beginning if you can only eat 4 teas. at a time. Don't be afraid to supplement with Protein drinks if you can't eat solids or mushie stuff yet.

I wasn't able to eat too much when I first started on mushies - so I tried to be sure that what I did eat was very high in Protein - it took me almost an hour to eat 2 oz. - luckily, I have a desk job, so I could just "graze" on my 2 oz until it was gone. I don't really know what to tell you Shanda, just do the best you can and as your stomach adjusts to something other than liquids, you'll be able to get down more than 4 tsp. -- try to be sure that any liquid you drink as protein in it - add it to your Water or whatever you are drinking that isn't a Protein Drink.

Hopefully someone will have more information/suggestions than I seem to have for you right now.

You can't just stop drinking the Protein drinks when you go to mushies. Mushies are for learning to eat and for variety. You aren't going to get adequate nutrition from them. You are still getting most of your nutrition from liquids at this stage.

And starvation mode is a myth. :001_wub: You don't have to worry about this - just worry about learning to eat again and making good nutritional choices. Over time you'll be able to eat more and the calories will take care of themselves.

I guess that's what I was trying to say too. In the beginning I was still getting my required amount of Protein from my protein drinks. Then in between I tried bites of chicken salad, tuna salad, egg salad,

the ricotta bake, etc. I remember very well only being able to eat very few bites of anything, and being surprised at how easy it was to keep up my protein intake because I had several protein drinks that I really liked.

Hi Shanda,

How's it going? Are you feeling okay? Are the post-op emotions settling down and life is getting back to normal?

I'll be getting sleeved 2 weeks from tomorrow (gah!). Can't wait to compare notes with you.

Hi Shanda,

How's it going? Are you feeling okay? Are the post-op emotions settling down and life is getting back to normal?

I'll be getting sleeved 2 weeks from tomorrow (gah!). Can't wait to compare notes with you.

Yes, I am feeling great! 30 lbs down since 9-15-09. Still getting use to eating. LOL. Still not able to eat much but I am supplementing with my Protein drinks.

My emotions are back to normal (that didnt take long) since im only like 3 weeks out now. I enjoy watching the scale go down. Im almost in ONDERLAND.....I am so excited about that! You will be fine, just think of how good you will fine when the scale starts moving downward!

Keep me posted on your progress!