Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Realistically.. what should I expect?

Hi all,

Its absolutely fabulous to read everyone's success stories!! But now my expectations for myself are off the roof! I know that everyone loses differently.

Im due for surgery on Aug 13th and I want to set up realistic goals for myself. I have a BMI of 33. I weigh 211 and GW is 130.

Just so I don't get disheartened incase I don't lose as much.. How much do you think I can expect to lose in say.. the first 10 weeks?

That is really hard to say. Your BMI is not as very high. People who have a higher BMI lose faster because they have more to lose.

I can tell you when I weighed 235 when I had my band surgery, I lost 22 lbs in the first 4 weeks while on the post op diet.

I didn't lose anymore for quite awhile though, because your body sometimes trys to get used to it's new weight and stalls for awhile.

Let's see what everyone else thinks!

Hi Cherry, and welcome.

It really is hard to predict, because everyone's body reacts differently. Most everyone notices a bit of a gain in the first few days following surgery due to all the IV fluids, Water retention, etc. Then, during the liquid phase they lose a fairly significant amount. Once you progress to the next stage, mushies, it seems weight loss tends to slow again as your body goes through yet another adjustment. And most all of us seem to hit a plateau for a couple of weeks at some point during the first couple of months.

What is important to remember is this is not a contest. This is about what works best for you and your body. My outlook is, as long as I am not gaining, I am thrilled.

I have lost 36 pounds and had my surgery July 14...but like Susan said, my loss has come to a standstill this past week. I'm almost through my 2 weeks on mushies and go to soft foods on Wednesday, so I'm hoping my body will figure it out soon and the scale will move. When I say it hasn't moved in a week, I mean it has been the EXACT same weight every day, not even a slight change! Weird!

I am a guy, and the truth is I will lose faster. Plus starting at 380+ pounds, I have 140 I want to shed. All I know is I want the weight to come off and leave me as a healthier, more physically happy individual. Even a pound lost is better than one added! Good luck.

Oh-kayyy! I'll be prepared for the worst.. Also will stay positive and be happy to lose any weight.. Thankyou all!

But be warned I'll come crying back to this forum, if things are not going well. Surgery is coming up soon and I'm nervous!

Thanks again for all your good wishes. I'll see you all on the other side.

Cherry.

Oh-kayyy! I'll be prepared for the worst.. Also will stay positive and be happy to lose any weight.. Thankyou all!

But be warned I'll come crying back to this forum, if things are not going well. Surgery is coming up soon and I'm nervous!

Thanks again for all your good wishes. I'll see you all on the other side.

Cherry.

We are very close in weight, BMI, and goal weight. I want you to come back no matter how things are going! We are almost sleeve sisters.

I have lost 36 pounds and had my surgery July 14...but like Susan said, my loss has come to a standstill this past week. I'm almost through my 2 weeks on mushies and go to soft foods on Wednesday, so I'm hoping my body will figure it out soon and the scale will move. When I say it hasn't moved in a week, I mean it has been the EXACT same weight every day, not even a slight change! Weird!

Ash - when I hit my standstill it was the same for me for 2 weeks ... the scale never moved even 1/10 of an pound ... I would have thought it was broken if not for the fact that Bearded was weighing on it too and the scale was going down ... it's started moving again thank goodness! My positive thought was - at least it's not going up!

With a lower BMI, you will lose less absolute pounds, but you have less to lose so you will probably get to goal faster. I got to goal in 6.5 months, for example. (And then kept losing.)

I lost 12 lb. the first month, 12 lb. the second, 8, the next and then 7 or 8 for most months after that, with two months of 6 lb. throw in there somewhere and only 3 the last month, but that's all I had left to lose.

Gosh, I can so relate to you. The first 4.5 weeks I lost 19 lbs, then I gained 1 lbs and have been at 195 for over a week. What is wrong with me? I weigh/log everything I put in my mouth. I brought my calories down to 600 per day, Protein 70 gm, fluids 64 oz or more, AND I walk at least 30 minutes or more per day. But, I am terribly constipated. Milk of Magnesia, here I come.

Steph

213/195

VG 7/28/09

I have lost 22 lbs in 4 weeks. I would say I was on a strict diet because for 3 weeks I was on Clear liquids. Now I am on full liquids and a little bit of mush.

I don't feel like I am on a strict diet though. My stomach is so small I am not hungry.

After talking to some old timers who have been at this awhile they say "If you are not losing weight you could need to eat more Protein. If you don't get enough then you won't lose as well, so use low fat, low carb. protein choices. Also it could be lack of exercize.Another reason is that the liver tries to bring the body back to homeostasis (constant state of equalibrium) The body will do this even if you are taking good stuff,like new Vitamins. They seem to work for about 2-3 mo. then the good feelings taper off. That's why we "eat the fruit in the season thereof". We might have to change diet choices to jump start the losing process again. Don't forget essential fatty acids. The liver has to have them. They work well with protein esp. sulferated protein ie. cottage cheese.< /p>

Dear Cherry,

How are you doing ?

I am new here. I read your post from a month ago in August. You are the same weight range as myself. I currently am trying to decide on a surgery date with Dr. Ponce DeLeon or Dr. Almanaz at Mt. Zion in TJ Mexico. I am having my Lapband removed and having a sleeve gastrectomy (not the plication new one)......

How are you progressing ? Are you having "Gas/Bloating/Indigestion ?

Sara