Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

burping - 2 days post op

Ok, so I'm sure there is already a thread out there on this, but I'm on drugs and just want to get back in bed.

The dr let me come home yesterday and I really do feel pretty good except the weird pain/cramp that happens when I drink. It doesn't happen every time, but a burp usually follows. Is this normal? I told the Dr about it because it has happened since I started drinking after surgery. I am sipping and I passed the leak tests, so I'm assuming my new tummy is just getting used to things? The burping also happens when I'm not sipping.

Also, I slept in a chair last night and my feet were on the floor, not propped up...woke up with terribly swollen ankles. Should that be a worry?

I've been doing my breathing exercises and walking around. Walking is easy...never had any trouble after that first walk post-op where my knees felt like rubber.

Anyway, thanks for any advice you guys can give. Oh, and is it possible for me to do something that would cause a leak? Today I have sipped diluted grape juice and Water only. I'm paranoid

Edited by ash

yes, its normal. Gravity lets the Water weight you have on board right now drain to its lowest point, your ankles and feet. Are you peeing regularly? thats important. I would also let your doctor at least know about the swelling and added water weight, he should be kept informed

Burping is very normal. I am one month out and I am still burbing - sometimes they just come upon me with no warning - and they are loud -- not very lady like - more like a sailor or truck driver! I asked my doctor about it this when I had my GI on Friday and he told me it would subside with time ... until then, I guess I just say "Excuse me" ALOT.

well, I still have the burping, but the cramping up of my stomach is bothering me more than the burping. I've been on Jello and Water. Luckily there isn't any physical hunger, but I surely don't want to cause a leak.

10 days post op here...I feel the stomach cramps (I guess that's what they are) mainly if I take too big of a sip or if the liquid is too cold. Warm liquids like broth go down much better. And I definitley burp A LOT! Dr. Campos said it was normal...just burp & then you can continue to sip to get in more liquids.< /p>

Can you have warm liquids? If so, try that.

10 days post op here...I feel the stomach cramps (I guess that's what they are) mainly if I take too big of a sip or if the liquid is too cold. Warm liquids like broth go down much better. And I definitley burp A LOT! Dr. Campos said it was normal...just burp & then you can continue to sip to get in more liquids.

Can you have warm liquids? If so, try that.

I can have warm liquids. I noticed that the cramping happened more with juice, even at room temp. I drink my Water at room temp too. Jello doesn't bother me for some reason. I had some "hot" tea in the hospital and am hoping I can get someone to go get me some at the store today.

HOWEVER, the cramping is random. It happened this morning several times before I got out of bed and I hadn't had anything to drink since the night before. That's what worries me.

Hmmm...I don't know then. Sorry.:001_smile: Are they very painful or just bothersome? Perhaps you could call your surgeon and ask. If nothing else, it should put your mind at ease a little.

Hmmm...I don't know then. Sorry.:scared0: Are they very painful or just bothersome? Perhaps you could call your surgeon and ask. If nothing else, it should put your mind at ease a little.

Every now and then they are painful, but mostly just bothersome. It's been better today for sure.

Ok, I think I may have figured out The Pain. HA! I think, honestly, it might be hunger. It's weird though, because I don't feel hungry. The pains aren't like regular stomach growling. And since the pains that happen on their own have just been in the mornings when I'm waking up, I think my new stomach is saying, "FEED ME PLEASE" and I'm like, "STOP PAINING ME." So, maybe that's it!

Ok, I think I may have figured out The Pain. HA! I think, honestly, it might be hunger. It's weird though, because I don't feel hungry. The pains aren't like regular stomach growling. And since the pains that happen on their own have just been in the mornings when I'm waking up, I think my new stomach is saying, "FEED ME PLEASE" and I'm like, "STOP PAINING ME." So, maybe that's it!

Do they subside after you "feed" them? If so that's probably what it is ... I've just begun to experience true hunger pains and it's definitely something that grabs your attention.

Do they subside after you "feed" them? If so that's probably what it is ... I've just begun to experience true hunger pains and it's definitely something that grabs your attention.

Mostly. Sometimes it still happens when I eat. It just happened a few seconds ago when I was eating some Jello, but the jello was the first thing I've eaten today. I've been sleeping in a lot.

Mostly. Sometimes it still happens when I eat. It just happened a few seconds ago when I was eating some Jello, but the Jello was the first thing I've eaten today. I've been sleeping in a lot.

Well I'd keep a mental journal and see if that is what happens - pain in the morning - eat - pain goes away ... you may have solved your own mystery ...

sleeping in ... awwwwwwww ... what a luxury that was this morning -- I didn't get up until 8 am ...:001_smile:

sleeping in ... awwwwwwww ... what a luxury that was this morning -- I didn't get up until 8 am ...:ohmy:

Well, I'm a teacher so I'm trying to get a few more days of good sleeping in before the chaos starts!!! Glad you got to sleep in this morning!:001_smile:

Amanda, that will be great to know what those pains are.

Vegas, 8:00 a.m. is sleeping in, lol? I guess I shouldn't mention I didn't drag my lazy butt out of bed until 10:00 this morning then.