Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Significant Others

Significant Others

Do you ever feel that the people who are closest to you are the ones who resist the most as you try to change for the better? Sometimes, when we are committed to personal growth and change, family members or others who are close to us will do everything they can to try and get us to change back to the way we were - even when the way we were wasn't so great.

Did you ever wonder why that might be? Well, for one thing, when people are used to their lives being a certain way, any change - even when it is an improvement - can be threatening. It is also fairly common for people who are stuck in negative habits to have a hard time tolerating others who are making positive efforts toward change.

If you can convince your family to join you in your Quest for personal growth, you will all have an easier time of it. You can support each other through the tough times and give each other encouragement and approval as you begin to see results.

If you have to go through it alone, though, let those significant others in your life in on what you are trying to do, and tell them how positive results will benefit them as well as you. Paint them a vivid word picture of what the end-result will look like, and ask for their help in achieving it.

If you don't get that help, be patient. It may take time to convince them that you are serious, and that you intend to stay close to them even though you are changing. If it ever comes down to the difficult choice between continuing a painful relationship and developing yourself as a person, remember that you always have the right to choose growth without guilt.

I happened to choose growth without guilt. Well said once again CG...feels like you are speaking directly to me. I'm so grateful for the significant "others" in my life that do GET IT.

I happened to choose growth without guilt. Well said once again CG...feels like you are speaking directly to me. I'm so grateful for the significant "others" in my life that do GET IT.

as long as (we get it) doesnt matter if no one else does.

a friend of mine sends me quotes every day.....this happened to be one he sent me yesterday......had to share....hope it (gets) to whomever needs it..

I'm so lucky to have a hubby who wants this as badly as I do and is so supportive!! Also, the 3 friends and nephew I've told are so happy for me and all of the possibilities....

Notice not many people know....not willing to chance any naysayers and I want the expectation of outcome to be my own...i love others opinions--but not on this subject.

I wish more had support as a i do....maybe they can share this great post with those that are less supportive...

Thanks CG.... :D

Thanks for sharing CG.

I have to say I am blessed to have the support of my family and friends. I have not had to hide the fact that I have been banded and for that I am truly grateful.

Everyone in our family, our co-workers and friends have been nothing but supportive of my husband and I we are very lucky and in turn try to be supportive to everyone as we can be.

Thanks for sharing !! As I change physically I am changing emotionally and mentally as well I guess. I see the importance of my good habits and putting me first. I notice people who know about the band are supportive but still it's difficulty because I'm changing and they may not be as I grow I'm learning who to keep and who to cut lose. Basically if u don't enhance my life u gotta go cause as my screen name suggest I choose to be happy

I've learned that significant others both male and female friends and relatives are really not that significant. This journey has been all about me. Either they were with me or against me. Some were others weren't but at the end of the day, I still prevailed. :) I guess I just have a new attitude about my life because I have allowed insignificant others to control my life for so long that at this point in my life, I really don't care what they think or feel. I am rather lucky though because my significant others have been really supportive and they are very few.

I've learned that significant others both male and female friends and relatives are really not that significant. This journey has been all about me. Either they were with me or against me. Some were others weren't but at the end of the day, I still prevailed. :) I guess I just have a new attitude about my life because I have allowed insignificant others to control my life for so long that at this point in my life, I really don't care what they think or feel. I am rather lucky though because my significant others have been really supportive and they are very few.

Very well said.

I've learned that significant others both male and female friends and relatives are really not that significant. This journey has been all about me. Either they were with me or against me. Some were others weren't but at the end of the day' date=' I still prevailed. :) I guess I just have a new attitude about my life because I have allowed insignificant others to control my life for so long that at this point in my life, I really don't care what they think or feel. I am rather lucky though because my significant others have been really supportive and they are very few.[/quote']

I so agree with you on this I have some positive and very few negative but in any manager selfishly made this journey about what I wanted and very much needed weather its my food choices or working out 5x a week at the end of the day it's my hopes and dreams finally turning into a reality