Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Telling your job

Did you tell your boss, coworkers, HR, or no one about your surgery? If not everyone knew, how did you handle people noticing your weight loss and changes in your eating habits?

i had to tell HR for obv time off reasons and told a very small handful of (friends)

as more and more noticed the loss, i merely said i am eating better and exercising and getting healthy for my grad daughter (100% all true)....my little friend (dixie the lap band) is always with me giving me the support i need....and its nice to know she's there

I told my boss and her boss plus one co-worker but no one else. I'm 4 months out from surgery so people are really noticing as I'm shrinking. People are nice and make kind comments about me losing but I just say I'm dieting and exercising (true).

I told no one. I just took a few vacation days to have the actual surgery. Oddly enough, not 1 person said a word to me about weight loss until I had lost over 40lbs! I just said I was exercising more.

I didn't really care my coworkers and I are really close and I needed this change in my life...don't care and still don't care what people think. I look good and feel great 10 months 95 pounds gone with the wind!

I was open about my surgery so virtually all my co-workers know. They have been more supportive then I could have even imagined. It also helps that another of my co-worker was sleeved not long after I was banded and we have become great friends and supporters of each other.

Did you tell your boss' date=' coworkers, HR, or no one about your surgery? If not everyone knew, how did you handle people noticing your weight loss and changes in your eating habits?[/quote']

I told my boss first as I needed time off and they allowed me to work for. Home for a while so it really helped. I also told close coworkers as they were really great support during office parties and I didn't have to explain why I was eating so little. As everyone noticed the weight moss they asked and I told them. I did not receive any negative comments and still get compliments all the time on how proud they were of me taking the step to be healthier.

My bigger problem was telling my immediate family. I had a hard time with my mother. She complained when I overage and still questions that I don't eat enough. It's hard when you grew up with desert at every meal and had to be part of the clean plate club. Lots of things to change in your life/habits during this journey. But, in the end it all works out and you reap the benefits!

You have to do what is comfortable for you.

I told my boss that I was having day surgery, but that is all. I have had some very negative reactions from a few people, so I just thought it best to keep it to myself except for a few friends that have also had it done.

I only told two coworkers, but unfortunately I know that one of them gossips so I know that everyone will find out. :(

At first I was reluctant to tell anyone except my boss and a close friend at work, and then I thought, "what the heck, its about me this time!!". I told everyone on my FB page as well, starting with the statement, "I know not everyone will agree with my decision...but surprisingly, I have had an overwhelming show of support. I was banded on 8/1/13 and also had a bad hitial hernia so the most pain is from that. I even started my 30 min of walking the next day! I have decided I don't have time to worry about what everyone else thinks, I finally did something for ME!! Go ahead let your boss know and anyone else you choose, you will find there are some naysayers, but I look at it this way, before they try to clean off my porch, they need to worry about their own first!!

Redren

I'm not planning on telling people, but if anyone's asks me, I will be honest!

It is hard work to lose weight even with the band because most of us are changing a lifetime of habits. Don't let anyone tell you that the band is an easy way out. It is not. It is just a tool to help you on the journey.

I have only told 2 coworkers who I trust. It's not so much that I don't want anyone to know I am getting lapband. But I am afraid of failing and they will judge me.

I plan to use a few vacation days and get it done.

No one knows but my immediate family. Friends are noticing my gradual weight loss. I just tell people I'm writing down everything I'm eating and I'm more aware of what I'm eating. Technically, I am watching everything I eat and always have. It's just a bit easier since being banded.

I told EVERYBODY! I wasn't ashamed and I got more support than I bargained for, but I truly felt loved and that was/is a comforting feeling. Now those people are my biggest cheerleaders. The only downside of telling others is that the day you have surgery, your phone will ring off the hook with people checking on you. So if you do spill the Beans, make sure you have a single point of contact for others to call and see how you are doing. You will not want to talk very much for the first couple of days, all you will want to do is sleep and have peace and quiet.