Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I was banded in the 24th of july and everything has been going fine... Or as expected... But today I am feeling super crabby and down.. I am on puréed foods but I just really miss being able to eat! I went back to work today for 6 hours and have a desk job.. That really wore me out.. So I thought maybe I was sad because I was hungry and tired but I think there maybe more to it... I am not sure how to explain it but I just feel so emotional... Anyone else feel this way?

I think what you are feeling is completely normal - and understanding that each of us is different - you have to look at "your' relationship with food. For me (and for a lot of others I'm sure) food was a friend I constantly turned to when I was sad, food was there to console me. When I was happy, I celebrated with food...but as I gained weight I started to get depressed, which led to more eating, which led to deeper depression. I realized that I had to do something. Try to focus on the things that you want to do as you lose weight. All, the things you can't do right now. And remember, this is not a race - the band is not a quick fix - it is a tool to help us on our journey to a healthier lifestyle (both physically and mentally. You have a great support system here, but if there is a "live" support group in your area, I would encourage you to attend. You will meet others going through some of the same things you are experiencing and will be able to learn from them. Best of luck to you!

So I was banded in the 24th of july and everything has been going fine... Or as expected... But today I am feeling super crabby and down.. I am on puréed foods but I just really miss being able to eat! I went back to work today for 6 hours and have a desk job.. That really wore me out.. So I thought maybe I was sad because I was hungry and tired but I think there maybe more to it... I am not sure how to explain it but I just feel so emotional... Anyone else feel this way?

I was Banded on the 17th and I found myself a little down too. I really handled the surgery well and had very little trouble post-surgery (knock on wood!) but when I tried to go back to my office last week I was surprised at how tired I got - even though I was doing fine to great while I was at home. I also started to get down and I think it was just a "What have I done?" and "This is going to change my life!" moments.

But I get happy when I see the scale going down and see a change in my body. On Saturday, I put on a pair of cute pants and I (and my boyfriend) could already see a difference - I looked great in them! And I just started this process... that's exciting!

Also, I went to see my friend who is a therapist and just talking it out has helped. Hang in there... it gets better.

You have to remember , you've just gone through surgery ! To your body , that's " EEEEEEEEEK !!!!!!! Whats going on ??" It takes time for your body to get back to normal, and start adjusting to a new lifestyle. In the meantime you can feel crabby and down and lots of other emotions. Once your body adjusts to it all, it should calm down. Keep in mind monthly hormones don't help, etc. I found that since I ate healthier after the surgery and wasn't eating 90% of the junk/processed food that I had before, my body adjusted to the band very quickly. I had NO problems and was happy to find all my digestive problems disappeared, and eventually my sleep apnea too (Down 62 lbs , 23 to go !) If you're still having problems down the road let your Dr know Good luck !

I too went through a little depression after I was banded, never did figure out what it was but when I posted about it on here it turned out I was not the only one who had went through it. I think I remember some body mentioning it could even have something to do with the anesthesia. It can have all kinds of after effects. So hang in there you'll probably figure it out or it will go away on it's own. Of course they say if it last more than a couple of weeks you should seek medical attention. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine.

~~~Stephanie

I was banded 7-22. Came home yesterday after my first day back ( I work in an operating room) and cried because I didn't have any Beans in the house. I've never cried over a lack of beans. I kept thinking " I don't want to do this anymore."This journey is almost like a grief process and I'm still in denial that my old way of life is over. Have to find the joy in the new life.

You are about to find out how many feelings you masked with food.

I would go in my bedroom with a cup of hot herbal tea, sip on it, and pout.

I would tell my husband " sorry bud! You are gonna have to hear it now cuz I'm not going into the fridge to make it all better!" ( reciprocated by a deer in headlights look)

It's a great time to embrace your emotions, redefine relationships, find your voice and to value yourself. The weight will come flying off and you will be so much happier!

I think what you are feeling is completely normal - and understanding that each of us is different - you have to look at "your' relationship with food. For me (and for a lot of others I'm sure) food was a friend I constantly turned to when I was sad' date=' food was there to console me. When I was happy, I celebrated with food...but as I gained weight I started to get depressed, which led to more eating, which led to deeper depression. I realized that I had to do something. Try to focus on the things that you want to do as you lose weight. All, the things you can't do right now. And remember, this is not a race - the band is not a quick fix - it is a tool to help us on our journey to a healthier lifestyle (both physically and mentally. You have a great support system here, but if there is a "live" support group in your area, I would encourage you to attend. You will meet others going through some of the same things you are experiencing and will be able to learn from them. Best of luck to you![/quote']

I couldn't have said it better, thanks Bro! Also the fact that major surgery takes a toll on our body. Your days will get better! Wishing you a wonderful journey!

I would suggest talking to a therapist! I don't think we understand how emotionally we are connected to food until we can't eat! I was also banded on the 24th and that following Saturday was left at home alone! My kids were so stir crazy that I had to give them time away! I was hurt that they didn't want to stay home and take care of me! In the past I would have turned to food... And I couldn't this time! So I cried and felt emotion that I have been denying myself for years! I cried for hours and in the aftermath realize that that's exactly what I needed to do! Just thought I'd share my story on here so that you know you are not alone! I started keeping a journal too and that helps to get my feelings out! Another tidbit of info on me... My family is riddled with addiction issues so I decided a few weeks before surgery to go on an antidepressant ... I think it was a wise choice as I have been pretty emotional myself!

Even the anesthesia has can affect your emotions....just think about all the drugs that were pumped in to you! Also your body is changing metabolically, depending on the preop diet you did. I did three Protein Shakes a day with drastic carb drop and only 300calories a day! I felt like crap but by the end of the first week I could feel the changes-fluid began disappearing. Remember one thing-food WASN'T your friend. I did the same thing- ate because I was depressed- made me feel better for a short time,then depressed about my weight so I aye to feel better. It's a difficult cycle to break. Many changes are taking place in your body. Just take one day at a time and let's tell ya...when that scale starts dropping, it is a high that no drug and no food can duplicate! Nothing tastes as good as skinny is going to feel!! Remember we are all here for you as well!

I'm still learning and realizing all the food issues I had and still have that I'm working through , but as the scale goes down my self esteem and mood goes up!!

Thanks you.. All of you for the support you give... I really appreciate it! I look forward to all of your responses as all are a little different... I know this is just a phase and hopefully it passes quickly... I do know in my heart that this was the right choice but I just have to get my brain to believe it ;)

You are giving up a "friend!" Ask yourself, what the heck did that "friend" do for me? Made me fat and miserable. We all have approach this with our own idea of what is going to happen. Attending the support groups that are offered by my surgeon's office as well as 2 or 3 OA meetings per week really help. You can find www.oa.org for a list of meetings in your area if interested. If people in the office get upset cause you snipped just think how they are going to feel in a few months when you are the one running around all "hip slick and cool" in your new outfits!

Best of luck in your journey down Bariatric Lane!

I have been banded since 7-1-13 n like minimi said redefining relationships n it had been emotional but I think it's all because I'm changing to become a better me and putting me first and that's a strange feeling for me. I have ups and down days. Also freaked out because my sister in law told her sister about my band and I didn't want anyone to know but it all passed. my first fill was Monday which brought a whole new set of emotions but I find myself making better choices for me and can't wait to reach my goal weight n never have to shop at lane Bryant again.

Hold on the emotions will even out . If not I agree with Stephanie see someone it will help. You are on this journey to be the best you so all support can help

I too cried for about 3 days.....got snippy with the kids cuz they kept offering me food...expected me to pick up after them as usual-they dont even get the concept of I JUST FRIGGIN HAD SURGERY! (they are 11, 12, & 15). I fought with hubby for 2 days...and cried some more. Banded the 23rd.....yest was my first day back at work (desk job) and it wore me out....but today was MUCH better....made up with hubby yest....startin to feel like normal-ish again as far as pain. I even walked half a mile on our track at work. Just remind yourself in a year this will all b the past and will b soooo worth it!