Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Embarassed to even post... but desperate for support!!!!!

I am a benge eater and have been for years. I have done this four times since I had my surgery on June 20. I posted about it once before... and I understand that my mind hasnt changed yet but I really need someone to tell me they have been there before and still made it throught it. I think it has something to do with weighing myself too much I was following guidelines to a "T" the past ten days before yesterday and was like going up 2 down 2 up 2 down2... I dont understnad why I wasnt losing so I get down on myself and binge just like I always did before... I have had one fill but obviously not feeling any restriction. I almost wish I would get stuck and throw it up during these episodes where I would never want to do it again. I am so embarassed and sick about this. I just hope I am not the only one... i am going to call my dr and see if I can go in for an x-ray to make sure everything is still ok. anyway... feels better just writing about it, if nothing else. :(

Did you have a psych evaluation before your surgery? You sound like you need to see either a nutritionist or psychologist, or both. Best wishes, Karen

Ive never been a binge eater so I have no advice for you on binging itself, but maybe since you're living, breathing and sleeping on what the scale says, throw away the scale ! Seriously, if the #s on the scale is whats causing you to binge, just toss the scale and go by how your clothes fit , how you feel and your improved health ! Good luck !

I threw my scale away a month before my surgery. I made a deal with my family doctor that I would only get weighed in once a month (and measured) by him or when I got a fill at my clinic. I had 4 fills in total.

I'm sooo glad I did this. This REALLY kept me focused and on track. I didn't focus on the number on the scale just on my meal plans. It was great to see the inches fall off.

I still get weighed every month at my doctors office.

Give it a try. Get rid of your scale... try taking your measurement once a month and check in with your family doctor to get weighed in.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 160 lbs

You have only had one fill and sometimes it can take a lot more before you get the sign to stop eating. I know someone personally who had his band completely unfilled because he was going on a cruise and he wanted to binge eat on everything. After the cruise he decided not to get re-filled because he liked his food too much. What was his point in getting the band if food was more important than a weight loss? What's my point in saying this? You probably will need a couple more fills before you feel like there is a stop point. With binge eating there is no stop point. You had this surgery for a reason, it is not a lose weight fast scheme. It takes time for the body to adjust. My friend who had his band unfilled has gained all his weight back plus more! Do you really want that?

If you stick with it and choose healthy eating the binge eating will take a back burner to healthy eating habits. There are times when I feel like I could eat the whole world. I choose not to. I didn't have major surgery just to see it all come back.

If you feel you must talk to a psychologist and by all means let your bariatric surgeon know.

By the way, you can still go on a cruise and lose weight. I've done it and lost 10 lbs on a cruise. I did not deprive myself of anything. I just ate smaller portions.

I know you can do this. It just takes time, perseverance and a lot of determination. Good luck and I know you can do this!

I threw my scale away a month before my surgery. I made a deal with my family doctor that I would only get weighed in once a month (and measured) by him or when I got a fill at my clinic. I had 4 fills in total.

I'm sooo glad I did this. This REALLY kept me focused and on track. I didn't focus on the number on the scale just on my meal plans. It was great to see the inches fall off.

I still get weighed every month at my doctors office.

Give it a try. Get rid of your scale... try taking your measurement once a month and check in with your family doctor to get weighed in.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Ive never been a binge eater so I have no advice for you on binging itself, but maybe since you're living, breathing and sleeping on what the scale says, throw away the scale ! Seriously, if the #s on the scale is whats causing you to binge, just toss the scale and go by how your clothes fit , how you feel and your improved health ! Good luck !

Thank you both for the advice!! I am headed to throw the scale away right after typing this!!! It has always been my worst enemy, I dont know why I havent thought of this sooner. Getting on the scale every day or even twice a day just became a part of my life after I got to my highest weight and swore I wouldnt go any higher.... I became obsessed! thank you so much! Tomorrow is a new day and NO SCALE around here anymore.... And to the other poster yes I have a counselor and I have been treated for depression for over a year.

You have only had one fill and sometimes it can take a lot more before you get the sign to stop eating. I know someone personally who had his band completely unfilled because he was going on a cruise and he wanted to binge eat on everything. After the cruise he decided not to get re-filled because he liked his food too much. What was his point in getting the band if food was more important than a weight loss? What's my point in saying this? You probably will need a couple more fills before you feel like there is a stop point. With binge eating there is no stop point. You had this surgery for a reason, it is not a lose weight fast scheme. It takes time for the body to adjust. My friend who had his band unfilled has gained all his weight back plus more! Do you really want that?

If you stick with it and choose healthy eating the binge eating will take a back burner to healthy eating habits. There are times when I feel like I could eat the whole world. I choose not to. I didn't have major surgery just to see it all come back.

If you feel you must talk to a psychologist and by all means let your bariatric surgeon know.

By the way, you can still go on a cruise and lose weight. I've done it and lost 10 lbs on a cruise. I did not deprive myself of anything. I just ate smaller portions.

I know you can do this. It just takes time, perseverance and a lot of determination. Good luck and I know you can do this!

Thank you! yes I already have a counselor. I am not going to mess this up... I really have a love/hate relationship with food and I just want to "live" I am working on retraining my brain as well as my body to eat whats necessary... And you are right it takes time. sometimes I just need you guys to remind me of that! The bible says... "Everything is permissable, not everything is beneficial" gonna focus on those words and all of your great advice and start out tomorrow as a frest day! :) I have literally cried reading these... sometimes dealling with depression and this new life can be a little overwhelming... thanks again to you guys!

Hi Faith !

Great... please keep us posted.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Hey faithster, I was banded June 20th. I have the same yo-yo with weight the last 3 weeks. Up 2 pds, down 2 pds, up 1 pd. Its completely normal to feel this way until you can satisfy your hunger longer, which will come more fills in the future. Just know that several things can change your weight. Like Water retention, bloating, not using the bathroom. Don't get discouraged! We are too soon out of surgery to be expecting AMAZZINGG results. We will get there in time. Think of this as a test of dedication. You cant binge eat if you measure your food. And you defiantly dont want to damage your stomach by eating too much now that you do have a fill. If you need a band buddy on here let me know, its always good to talk even if you just need to vent for 10 minutes. :D

Yes, the scale can be your worst enemy. The only weight I hold myself accountable to is my PCP's and my bariatric surgeon. I get weighed once a month on my surgeon's scale and that's the number that counts. I will occasionally weigh myself at home but weight don't count. It becomes a frustrating obsession if you keep weighing yourself constantly.

I am a benge eater and have been for years. I have done this four times since I had my surgery on June 20. I posted about it once before... and I understand that my mind hasnt changed yet but I really need someone to tell me they have been there before and still made it throught it. I think it has something to do with weighing myself too much I was following guidelines to a "T" the past ten days before yesterday and was like going up 2 down 2 up 2 down2... I dont understnad why I wasnt losing so I get down on myself and binge just like I always did before... I have had one fill but obviously not feeling any restriction. I almost wish I would get stuck and throw it up during these episodes where I would never want to do it again. I am so embarassed and sick about this. I just hope I am not the only one... i am going to call my dr and see if I can go in for an x-ray to make sure everything is still ok. anyway... feels better just writing about it, if nothing else. :(

I know you said you are currently in therapy, but is it with an eating disorders therapist? I did several months of work with an eating disorders therapist before I was banded (due to binge eating also). I haven't binged since before I was banded. Best of luck