Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I sit and write this with a heavy heart. I came over to my mother's house this morning to find out that her husband had lost his job. What does this mean for me? 3 weeks before my surgery we no longer have insurance. I've been struggling and jumping through hoops the last year and a half... appeal after appeal and then I get approved and he is fired. He pays his insurance weekly so it is not the same as other monthly insurances, so my benefits are gone as of Friday. I had my pre op appointment tomorrow. I'm still in shock and so upset. I thought I was close to finally making the step to bettering myself. Currently I feel hopeless and let down. I'm going to try and stay positive but I'm not sure what else I can do. Thanks for listening guys. xx :'(

That totally sucks. I had a hard time trying to get my surgery and failed at all my insurance options. Eventually I had to bite the bullet and get a loan through CareCredit which I've almost paid off! I have a feeling you'll find a way to get this done. It might not be tomorrow but it will happen. I am sorry you're going through this though. Getting your hopes up only to have them dashed out from under you is terrible.

That totally sucks. I had a hard time trying to get my surgery and failed at all my insurance options. Eventually I had to bite the bullet and get a loan through CareCredit which I've almost paid off! I have a feeling you'll find a way to get this done. It might not be tomorrow but it will happen. I am sorry you're going through this though. Getting your hopes up only to have them dashed out from under you is terrible.

Yeah, my head hurts just thinking about it. A loan might very well be my last and only option. Thanks Gaither. :)

That really sucks :( I can only imagine how disappointed you must be. I hope it all works out for you.

The only reason you won't have the procedure is if you or your Dr says you won't. This isn't a cancel but a postpone. There is a reason you're not supposed to have this done now so trust and dig deeper to make it happen. Not trying to be flippant but hoping this makes you all the more determined. My thoughts for strength,understanding,and perseverance go out to you. It will happen. Hang in there!

Is there any chance you can go on a Cobra plan with the same insurance carrier? It is expensive, but since you have the approval it might be something to consider. The only problem is the cost of the follow up exams and fills after surgery.

You should be eligible for COBRA benefits for 18 months and it's a continuation of your current insurance so you don't have to get re-approved. It's not cheap, probably somewhere in the neighborhood of $500ish just for you, but if you do that, it will still be cheaper than paying for surgery out of pocket. Also, if your dad gets re-employed with insurance benefits, you can discontinue the COBRA.

I'm so sorry to hear that! I know when I was finally approved and was setting up my surgery, I was told my portion of surgery would be $250 - after I was approved and was actually scheduling surgery they called and told me my portion was almost $3000 - I was totally shocked and immediately in tears! Fortunately they helped me with financing and I had the band placed on Dec 21, 2012!

I know right now it seems like it won't happen. But where there is a will, there is a way. Stay positive and keep the faith! I had actually wanted the band placed since 2001...so if you want it - keep fighting for it! Good luck and keep us posted!

I sit and write this with a heavy heart. I came over to my mother's house this morning to find out that her husband had lost his job. What does this mean for me? 3 weeks before my surgery we no longer have insurance. I've been struggling and jumping through hoops the last year and a half... appeal after appeal and then I get approved and he is fired. He pays his insurance weekly so it is not the same as other monthly insurances, so my benefits are gone as of Friday. I had my pre op appointment tomorrow. I'm still in shock and so upset. I thought I was close to finally making the step to bettering myself. Currently I feel hopeless and let down. I'm going to try and stay positive but I'm not sure what else I can do. Thanks for listening guys. xx :'(

I am so very sorry dear heart! This is devastating and something that I worried about in the back of my mind during the entire ordeal. My job is "safe" but you just never know. Wow. I'm going to pray that he gets an even better job, with more benefits quickly - I don't know if you and your family are religious, but I do know that the God I serve doesn't close a door without having a greater on for you to enter. Yes, this is a setback and my heart breaks for you but please try to keep in mind that everything in life happens for a reason. We don't understand it and yes, it is hard to accept when things don't go our way but I have faith that your dad will get new job and you will get your band soon.

Is there anyway to pay for COBRA for the next 30 days, just to get the procedure covered? You can worry about fills later, but for now see if COBRA is an option and if your band is covered under that policy, chances are it is.

Keep us posted.

Most Doctors will offer u options and you can ask them if there is anything you can apply for to help the process if u have good credit care credit might help and some Doctors have other credit u can apply for till it's paid off also I don't know if ur father was union but they have to pay I think it is 1 or 2 onths could b a bit longer for Insurance that he was paying for while working specially if he was laid off ,not sure bout if u get fired tho whatever ,but there is help somewhere so talk to your Doctor to make sure and ask a lot of questions so u can try , hopefully it will work out for u.

It will all fall into place when the time is right. I've been denied and finally approved. There is a reason this is not happening now. I'm sorry for you and your family and your dads job loss. Just know this has happened for a reason and may have prevented you from something bigger. You seem so sweet and I know good will come your way.

Please keep us posted as we're all rooting for you!!!!

Hey everyone! After hours of being on the phone with his HR department, United health Care and COBRA they have since decided that because he worked today, and was clocked in that he can pay out of pocket for his insurance for the rest of the month. It will be expensive but less than the surgery! All of your comforting words made me happy! Thanks guys! I was a big ball of mess earlier and now I feel much better. None of my fills and after care will be covered but my family is all pitching in to help me. Once again.. thanks! Without knowing about Cobra and other benefits I wouldn't be able to do this. I feel like as if they were giving me no other option until I read all of your comments! Keeping my fingers crossed!!!! :)