Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Swimmers? Im nervous...

Hey all...

I finally took initiative and joined my local gym with a lap pool. I was on the swim team in high school (I swam in the slow lanes, but it kept me in shape!) so I know "how" to swim and I can honestly say it's the most confident I feel about.

Anyway, I haven't truly swam since high school. That was 100lbs ago. I am pre-op and starting to get nervous for my first swim tomorrow. Thoughts of "how will I get in and out of the pool?" "Will the ladder break?" "What if I slow others down trying to work out and swim around me?" Are starting to consume me and I have to be awake to leave for the gym in seven hours! These thought patterns are what got me to this weight in the first place.

Ugh. I guess what I'm asking is: if anyone out there had these doubts or worries, please reply. Also, any avid swimmers out there? Give me some advice. I know technique. I'm just nervous about the logistics of my weight and capabilities.

Maggie

I'm not an avid swimmer but I did go swimming today (317 lbs.), nothing broke when I got out :) I also went swimming when I was in the 360's, no issues there either. Not sure about slowing others down etc, never swam competitively. Just for fun. Good luck, I guarantee it won't be as bad as you anticipate :)

Hey all...

I finally took initiative and joined my local gym with a lap pool. I was on the swim team in high school (I swam in the slow lanes' date=' but it kept me in shape!) so I know "how" to swim and I can honestly say it's the most confident I feel about.

Anyway, I haven't truly swam since high school. That was 100lbs ago. I am pre-op and starting to get nervous for my first swim tomorrow. Thoughts of "how will I get in and out of the pool?" "Will the ladder break?" "What if I slow others down trying to work out and swim around me?" Are starting to consume me and I have to be awake to leave for the gym in seven hours! These thought patterns are what got me to this weight in the first place.

Ugh. I guess what I'm asking is: if anyone out there had these doubts or worries, please reply. Also, any avid swimmers out there? Give me some advice. I know technique. I'm just nervous about the logistics of my weight and capabilities.

Maggie[/quote']

I joined the local Y and have been reluctant to hit the pool for the same reasons. I can't even tell where the ladder to get out is and there are no stairs. Thank you for this thread. I am going to renew my goal to get in the pool.

My advice, just do it. Once you are there you will quickly realise that no one else cares about you or how quickly you are swimming. Be courteous and look for a slower lap lane, give way to faster swimmers at the ends of laps, but don't let anyone else steal your dreams!

I started taking a pool exercise class about the same time I got banded. (225 lbs) it was and still is fun 3 x a week, its helped me lose 63 lbs so far and nobody cares about what you look like !!! Just remind yourself you are there to get healthy, not impress anybody ! Have fun !!!

Hey Maggie!

First of all, I am extremely proud of you for joining the gym, and wanting to get back into swimming. (One of my least faves...lol....I was a ballet and jazz dancer).

Remember that you're there to being your journey to a healthier you! It's really hard not to think about what others might be thinking, but when it boils down to it...does it really matter? Who cares what some stranger might think of how you get into the Water? how slow you might swim? They don't know your story and they don't know the path that you're on.

Now, lets say you meet someone at the gym and you become friends...well look at that...they want to be your friend, no matter what you look like. So the way that I see it...just go do your thang girl! The swimming will increase your confidence and help you become healthier.

Good luck! Have a GREAT swim!

Swim like no one else is there and enjoy. Just relax. Everyone at the gym is focused on their health. You are just part of the gang. Post surgery stay out of the Water until all incisions are full healed. Some report soreness around the port initially when swimming after surgery. That said it is a great exercise.

Kudos to you for taking the plunge (ha ha)! You won't break anything and you will feel fabulous afterwards...I am lucky enough to have a pool in my backyard and I swim almost every day, it's fabulous exercise and not stressful on our joints. Go for it and have fun! :)

Swimming is a good game for decreases of weight. If you are worried about your weight and its creating difficulties in your swimming then going for a walk regularly can help you to weight lose. Take proper food at the proper time and stay away from fatty things.

I was nervous to go to our community pool but I just did it! Now I go almost every day after work. I swim laps while my kids play. There are tons of people and I really don't give a hoot anymore what any of them might think. I love swimming ...it feels great and getting over myself was the best thing I could have done! U will be so proud of yourself if u JUST DO IT! ;)

how many weeks after surgery can we get in chlorine?

I've gone once and loved it! Need to go back!! I need to ask my surgeon when we are allowed to go back after surgery. Hmmm

I'm 14 days post-op. and I called my Dr today re: swimming. They said I can go in as long as all my incisions are closed and I don't have any signs of infection at the incision sites. I can't exercise but I can take a dip! :-) its 105 her in CA and a dip

sounds so refreshing!!

thanks dee21 ;)

I'm 14 days post-op. and I called my Dr today re: swimming. They said I can go in as long as all my incisions are closed and I don't have any signs of infection at the incision sites. I can't exercise but I can take a dip! :-) its 105 her in CA and a dip

sounds so refreshing!!

That's good news! So to clarify, your doctor wants you only to be in the Water for relaxation and not exerting yourself cardio wise, right?