Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid diet Constipation

Ok, so I'm 3 days into my liquid diet and now I'm dealing with Constipation. This is freaking me out because I am normally a very regular person. What should I do? As many of you may know is is very troublesome and at times very painful. What do you recommend?

Are you drinking a lot of Water? If not, you should.....it will help.

First, you should call your doctor & see what he/she suggests. We can suggest what we know or have experienced, but your doctor is the best one to advise you of what to do.

That being said, I think if you hang back for a couple more days, you might find the opposite issue. When on liquids only, there isn't anything solid going in, so not much of anything solid is going to come out. Many of us had a problem with diarrhea during the liquid phase.

It took me about a week on liquids to have a BM. I did not get diarrhea but it was soft. If you think your going to stay constipated and it hurts, a lot of people on here recommend Miralax, it is a stool softener/laxative. But as with anything medical call your Doc first.

~~~Stephanie

I struggle with Constipation on a regular basis, and MiraLax is my savior! I drink it a couple of days, and I'm good for a few days after that.

I am on long term 1/2 dose Miralax every other day. Still... at 19 months. I was never constipated before surgery. Talk with your PCP or surgeon, there are things to do. Warning... mine told me not to even think about considering myself constipated on the liquid diet until after 5 days. Your solid food intake will improve this as you progress.

Are you drinking a lot of Water? If not, you should.....it will help.

That being said, I think if you hang back for a couple more days, you might find the opposite issue. When on liquids only, there isn't anything solid going in, so not much of anything solid is going to come out. Many of us had a problem with diarrhea during the liquid phase.

Today makes day 4 for me post surgery, and I had my first bm a few minutes ago. Mrsinto has a good point, when you are only drinking liquids there is nothing solid in there to come out. Increase your Water intake helps.

I had not had the urge to go since my surgery, and all I had been drinking was Clear Liquids. I had 2 oz Protein shake this morning (I was very nauseated and it was either that or vomit, and I didn't want to vomit) and needless to say about 2 hours after the Protein Shake I went to the restroom. No cramping, no pain, no diarrhea, just (sorry to be gross) soft serve ice cream. Quite painless :)

When I was going my liquid diet I thought I would of been going to the bathroom like crazy but I didn't. I finally had a bowel movement 5 days after my surgery thanks to Miralax. Hang in there.

I struggle with Constipation on a regular basis, and MiraLax is my savior! I drink it a couple of days, and I'm good for a few days after that.

Ditto!

I am on long term 1/2 dose Miralax every other day. Still... at 19 months. I was never constipated before surgery. Talk with your PCP or surgeon, there are things to do. Warning... mine told me not to even think about considering myself constipated on the liquid diet until after 5 days. Your solid food intake will improve this as you progress.

Chez - I like this maintenance plan. I think I will try it. Even though two days of MiraLax straightens me out for a good 3-4 days, inevitably, I will bind up again. I'm going to implement this starting today, and see how it goes.

Thanks for the info everyone. This morning was very painful. I opted for 2 dolcalax tabs and so far everything is back on track. As far as the diet, I'm not feeling hungry at all even at day 3 so my spirits are high. My only draw back is that my Wife is 11 weeks pregnant with our twin babies and she's eating all this wonderful food and here I am stuck with Protein Shakes, pudding, and pop cycles ( all sugar free ). And just got back from good ole Walmart and she had to have Taco Bell on the way home. Aaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!

Thanks for the info everyone. This morning was very painful. I opted for 2 dolcalax tabs and so far everything is back on track. As far as the diet' date=' I'm not feeling hungry at all even at day 3 so my spirits are high. My only draw back is that my Wife is 11 weeks pregnant with our twin babies and she's eating all this wonderful food and here I am stuck with Protein shakes, pudding, and pop cycles ( all sugar free ). And just got back from good ole Walmart and she had to have Taco Bell on the way home. Aaaaahhhhhhh!!!!![/quote']

I feel your pain! Hubby sat beside me as I drank my broth and ate sonic (double burger and onion rings) I didn't want any. It just smelled so wonderfully fried and greasy... Now I'm talking about it, it kinda makes me nauseous