Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else have gallbladder surgery?

Hi y'all....

I had my band in 2009. I reached my goal weight in 2011 (2 years later), having lost over 100 pounds. I've been in "maintenance mode" for 2 years now, and have been within 7 pounds of my goal weight for the 2 years since reaching GW.

A few months back, I started having acute stomach pain. I visited my bariatric surgeon, and we did a whole bunch of tests and decided that the pain was stemming from my gallbladder. Last week I had my gallbladder removed. Surgery went well, and I'm recovering quickly! (It's a breeze this time, since I have "been there, done that" with my bariatric surgery!)

Has anyone else had their gallbladder removed? What have been major dietary changes? Have you found it affect your band at all?

I'm noticing that I've been a bit gassy this week, but that could just be post-op effect. I haven't noticed (so far) any foods that I cannot eat, but hey, it's only been a few days.

I'm very surprised that I am not experiencing post-op band tightness. I thought for sure that when I was retaining Water following surgery, that my band would get VERY tight. On the contrary; it is just as loose as normal. (I think I'll probably go in for a fill, once I'm fully recovered from gallbladder surgery. Just normal, every-couple-of-month band maintenance.)

Any info you can share about your post- gallbladder surgery would be appreciated!

I had gall bladder surgery about three years ago. I found that foods heavy in fat and grease, such as fast food burgers, would really do a number on my stomach.

I had gall bladder surgery about three years ago. I found that foods heavy in fat and grease, such as fast food burgers, would really do a number on my stomach.

mine was 10 yrs ago and i found the same...i have been banded only a month so im curious to see how it does

I had gallbladder removed about 14 years ago ,I have found fatty foods are not my friend

I had my gallbladder removed in 2003 had lap band last year. I can tolerate all food but when it comes to high fat greasy food I need to make sure there's a bathroom near.

I had my gallbladder removed the summer before I had lapband. The only thing that I can't do is the greasy fatty foods- runs right through. Before I had it removed I had to quit drinking coffee, it would cause stomach pain, but now I am back to my cup a day.

I think everyone is different. Plus it takes a while for your body to regulate after removal. My BFF and my mom both told me it would take a year for me to get back to "normal", well they were right- then I had lapband.

Not quite fully on topic but I've seen this mentioned a few times.... It seems extremely common to need to get gallbladder removed after the band...is it that common & should I be worried?

Good luck to you

Gall Bladder issues are connected to quick weight loss or restrictive diets. And like others have posted high fat content foods can be a problem after removal. I've been experiencing gall bladder-like symptoms for months so I'm being mindful of what I eat. I'm glad to hear it's a "breeze" since after recuperating from arm surgery I'll be going back for in for GB Surgery.

I had my gall bladder removed in 2001, after losing about 40 lbs. I had problems before removing the gall bladder eating greasy foods such as fresh ham, or other fresh pork. I don't eat much beef or pork now, so can't say whether it will affect your band. Best wishes on quick healing and congrats on your maintenance. I have been for 2 years, but after a revision in Nov 2011, I have gradually gained and plan to get a slight fill today to stop the effect! Karen

Ditto to everyone about the greasy food. I can no longer eat bacon. I just smell smoked bacon (which I love) and I have to be near a bathroom. The other thing that affects me is the preservative they use at buffets to keep the vegetables fresh looking and to keep the lettuce stay that bright green color. So I avoid salad bars as much as possible. I love these foods but they don't love me lol.