Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Dr. wanted me on a high Protein low carbohydrate diet before the liquid stage. I am noticing a problem I am having. I never really eat a lot and I've always wondered why I did not lose weight. Don't get me wrong I did get to this size by not eating to much, but over the past few years my way of eating has changed and I don't really eat. I changed the types of food I eat to better foods and still no weight loss. But I have to be putting in more than I expend right. Since I started this diet I notice I don't want to eat. I Just want to eat my yogurt and granola all day. But I figured if that is all I eat then I have a healthy dinner that would work, nope. So, some how I keep tricking myself into thinking I'm doing the right thing. I notice I want something fast and easy but also something that's got sugars. I don't want to sabotage my success with the band. But it seem I would rather not eat than to eat right. I don't understand why the weight does not come off when I eat less than everyone else in the house. So, what's going on. I need to figure this out before I get the band. I'm afraid I'll not eat all day then eat the wrong stuff thinking its OK. Because when I checked my yogurt and granola, which you think would be OK, well even though it was low fat the sugars and carbs seemed like they were quite high. I think I may know what is wrong but would like some other input to make sure. I do seem to find away around my diets so they are not effective,and that is scaring me .Did anyone else have this problem? Thanks for any suggestions.

PS. I don't exercise because I have a torn meniscus in my knee that they haven't fixed yet. Don't know if they are going too , they seem to be fixed on my weight more. So maybe if I lose the weight they'll fix it. I also have hypothyroidism but I'm on meds for that. I don't know if that still affects things. I think I am afraid of failure, and this would be an expensive failure.

The Dr. wanted me on a high Protein low carbohydrate diet before the liquid stage. I am noticing a problem I am having. I never really eat a lot and I've always wondered why I did not lose weight. Don't get me wrong I did get to this size by not eating to much, but over the past few years my way of eating has changed and I don't really eat. I changed the types of food I eat to better foods and still no weight loss. But I have to be putting in more than I expend right. Since I started this diet I notice I don't want to eat. I Just want to eat my yogurt and granola all day. But I figured if that is all I eat then I have a healthy dinner that would work, nope. So, some how I keep tricking myself into thinking I'm doing the right thing. I notice I want something fast and easy but also something that's got sugars. I don't want to sabotage my success with the band. But it seem I would rather not eat than to eat right. I don't understand why the weight does not come off when I eat less than everyone else in the house. So, what's going on. I need to figure this out before I get the band. I'm afraid I'll not eat all day then eat the wrong stuff thinking its OK. Because when I checked my yogurt and granola, which you think would be OK, well even though it was low fat the sugars and carbs seemed like they were quite high. I think I may know what is wrong but would like some other input to make sure. I do seem to find away around my diets so they are not effective,and that is scaring me .Did anyone else have this problem? Thanks for any suggestions.

PS. I don't exercise because I have a torn meniscus in my knee that they haven't fixed yet. Don't know if they are going too , they seem to be fixed on my weight more. So maybe if I lose the weight they'll fix it. I also have hypothyroidism but I'm on meds for that. I don't know if that still affects things. I think I am afraid of failure, and this would be an expensive failure.

I think the band will help you in that when you are not hungry, your body is burning fat. Hunger pangs make the body hold on to whatever it has and then it starts taking what it needs from your muscles - not existing fat cells. Jump start your metabolism by drinking a Protein Shake not more than 20 minutes after you get up in the morning - I do 2 scoops (52g) and I don't need to eat anymore for several hours. I don't like eating very much either, which is really how I got in this mess to begin with. I'd rather not eat or have junk food, but when I'm full of Protein, I'm giving my body what it needs and I'm not hungry for junk.

You'll do fine! Try muscle milk...its almost like drinking chocolate or banana (my favorite) milk, but without the dairy! It's a bit pricey in ready to serve bottles, but if that's a meal for you then it's actually less than you would spend eating out and you're just as full. It also helps you to feel stronger almost immediately. I've been doing this for just 1 week and I've already lost 2 lbs and I haven't "starved" yet. Just pay attention to what your body is telling you and try not to feel hunger pangs - when you do, your body is essentially turning to your muscles for sustainence - not your fat cells.

Couple of thoughts..

I did not see a mention of the amount of Protein and Fiber in the yogurt and granola, both of those are important nutrition considerations. Try a non fat Greek yogurt as that is high in Protein and then add good quality low fat granola that has at least 5 grams of Fiber. Instead of the premixed fruit Syrup that has a lot of sugar, add some fresh fruit and berries. See if that will satisfy your cravings.

Also consider using the pool for fitness, it should help without impacting your knees.

I do like the Protein Shakes as well, muscle milk is one of my favorites!

YOU ARE GOING TO DO GREAT!! We are going to do this as a team! I am a phone call away if you want to talk! I am down the street if you need me

to gain weight, we must eat more calories than we burn off

that is how i got super morbid obese.

(even when i was just eating a wee salad, it was the huge amounts of the stuff that came out of the bottle that was not very good) or a baked potato (oops dont count the butter and gobs of sour cream etcc)

and to a point that i could hardly walk.

after surgery, i could barely walk (5 feet) without giving out or fear of a heart attack...so just be eating better foods, in smaller amounts (thank you band) you can lose weight..eat lots of lean Proteins, veggies and fruit and drink alot...and you will lose weight..

Perhaps you should consider a counselor for your eating compulsions.

get on myfitnesspal.com it will track every bite and tell you how much Protein and other thing you body need in order to loss weight. every diet plan tells you to eat 3 meals,2snacks, and 64ox of Water a day (that changes with the band). I have a bad knees and hip but joined a gym there is a lot to do that doesn't bother them moving is the key do what you can and as much as you can. good luck hope this helps.

I tore the meniscus in both knees and have very bad arthritis in my right knee. I exercise in the pool...it's the only place where I can move around and not be in terrible pain. Try it....I always feel better even when my knee hurts bad just because it's good to feel like you are doing something positive in terms of having more mobility. Good luck, you'll do great with the band.

I exercised in the pool for the first 8 months. It works. I set up my own routine of exercise in the pool. Would be happy to share it with you if you like. Also, I asked my PVP to send me to aqua therapy and they developed the routine for me because I had/have a hip problem and achieles tendon issues. If you have insurance, you might want to try that.

I exercised in the pool for the first 8 months. It works. I set up my own routine of exercise in the pool. Would be happy to share it with you if you like. Also, I asked my PVP to send me to aqua therapy and they developed the routine for me because I had/have a hip problem and achieles tendon issues. If you have insurance, you might want to try that.

Thanks, I have insurance and I can also go to the VA Medical Center between the two of them I might get some help with that. I wish I had a pool at home.

If you can go to the VA, do you have a military base near you? If you are a retiree you can use their pool. I have a neighborhood pool, but when it is too cold, I found the closest community pool. See if your Parks and Recreation has a pool near you.

That pool sounds like it might be a great suggestion. As mentioned above, maybe try other exercises that don't stress your knee. I've been following the progress of some paraplegic veterans on their "Ride 2 Recovery". Handbiking/handcycling is one exercise they use...seems to be working well for them. Some gyms have them. Maybe even your local VA center would have one in their rehab/workout room you can use?

Getting that metabolism going will really help. Anything and everything you do will help. Just find what works for you...call or go visit a gym and ask them what they recommend for folks who have knee problems. I'm sure they will be happy to help. Best wishes!

I also bought a little mini pedal machine when I started, you cah use it on your arms also. I use it now when it is not nice enough to ride outside. They have them at Academy Sports and online at Target. I also bought exercise bands and an exercise ball. You can do lots of exercises with the bands sitting down or standing and I do sit ups with the ball to work my core. You can also go on YouTube and search for Chair Yoga. I started with that when I couldn't stand too. There are lots of options, just start doing a little each day and increase your time a little every couple days. I started with 15 minutes and now exercise 1 1/2 hours daily.